Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best DIY Clear PPF for the front of the Model 3. Please Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it's not that easy to just pick up and do without practice, but you will definitely improve piece by piece as you get the hang of it. Start with the headlights, move to the fenders then mirrors, etc. Most important things are go slowly, keep the film well lubricated, work from the center to get every bubble out, anticipate where you will need to stretch the film to get the best fit and use the hair drier to soften it to help with this...

For the hood you can either buy bulk or ask the vendor to give you a pre-cut kit and extend the edges so that you can wrap the ppf under the hood. I also asked the vendor to delete the emblem cutout as I did not want to deal with dirty edges. I don't know if all vendors will extend the edge of the pre-cut pattern for you. But I know Servo PPF did for me.

I really like how my ppf install looks without edges despite being a pre-cut kit. For my doors, the bottom and sides has no edges. But the top of the door does. I should have either stretched the ppf a bit more or asked the vendor to extend the top more. The door handle area still has an edge though. But I think only a pro has the skills to apply ppf with no edges on the door handle area.

For the hood you can either buy bulk or ask the vendor to give you a pre-cut kit and extend the edges so that you can wrap the ppf under the hood. I also asked the vendor to delete the emblem cutout as I did not want to deal with dirty edges. I don't know if all vendors will extend the edge of the pre-cut pattern for you. But I know Servo PPF did for me.

I really like how my ppf install looks without edges despite being a pre-cut kit. For my doors, the bottom and sides has no edges. But the top of the door does. I should have either stretched the ppf a bit more or asked the vendor to extend the top more. The door handle area still has an edge though. But I think only a pro has the skills to apply ppf with no edges on the door handle area.
So you did it yourself? Do you have pics? You have link to servo?

Servo PPF:

Servo PPF - Paint Protection Film from 3M | Suntek | Servo PPF |

Yes. I did it myself. Initially, I had just a half hood ppf pre-cut kit. But I did not like the visible edge across the hood. So I wrapped the entire hood.

Which option did you select?

upload_2020-1-31_6-16-5.png

Which option did you select?

View attachment 506283

I believe I bypassed the online ordering and emailed them directly to ask about extending the edges in which they sent me an invoice to be paid by Paypal. In terms of the type of film I used, it was the Suntek Ultra. I honestly cannot remember if the hood was bulk or precut with extended edges. I think maybe the hood was bulk. Regardless, I also opted to remove the emblem from the hood so I did not have to deal with getting dirty edges around the emblem. Besides, I can always just buy another emblem and glue it on top of the ppf. The doors, rocker panels and rear quarter panels were pre-cut with extended edges. The doors still had a pre-cut for the door handles. This is helpful as a starting point during your install. In addition, I knew I would not be skilled enough to either tuck the ppf or cut a nice looking pattern surrounding the door handle area.

I plan to ppf my entire car because I feel paint is relatively soft. And over time, I will see fine particles embedded into the paint unless I protect the surface.

• Funny
Reactions: rdcisneros3
Headlight and mirror are quite hard, lots of compound curves and stretching required. I would start with the hood, that's the easiest. I mean, the front bumper is the hardest, but the mirror cups might be right after them, in my opinion.

Did you do the entire hood? What was your process and how does it look? Amy pics?
I did a 30" partial, bikini cut, with overlap edges, with 3M Scotchguard Pro from invisiblemask.com. Super duper easy, since the hood is nearly flat. Because mine was a pre-cut, the Tesla logo was cutout, I just centered that, tacked down the centerline with an alcohol solution; then soaped the rest, and slowly worked my way from centerline, to outer edge.

Since, it sounds like you are buying a sheet, just tack down along the centerline of your hood with an alcohol solution; then soap the rest, and work your way from center to sides, with your squeegee. It's just about as easy as can be. Then, when you get to the edge, cut away the excess, leaving ½ inch, and wrap around the edge, with the hood up. You may want to use the alcohol solution, and not the soap solution on this part.

The alcohol solution is when you want the PPF to stick as it dries relatively quickly. Soap solution is when you want to move the PPF and slip it, and work the bubbles out. Use the alcohol on your starting part, where you want to tack the PPF down; and on the end. Soap everywhere else.

Afterward, and every day for a week, check the wrapped edges for lifting, and press down, as necessary.

The hood is the easiest, everything else is harder, based upon curves, or size, etc.
IMG_1862.jpg

I did a 30" partial, bikini cut, with overlap edges, with 3M Scotchguard Pro from invisiblemask.com. Super duper easy, since the hood is nearly flat. Because mine was a pre-cut, the Tesla logo was cutout, I just centered that, tacked down the centerline with an alcohol solution; then soaped the rest, and slowly worked my way from centerline, to outer edge.

Since, it sounds like you are buying a sheet, just tack down along the centerline of your hood with an alcohol solution; then soap the rest, and work your way from center to sides, with your squeegee. It's just about as easy as can be. Then, when you get to the edge, cut away the excess, leaving ½ inch, and wrap around the edge, with the hood up. You may want to use the alcohol solution, and not the soap solution on this part.

The alcohol solution is when you want the PPF to stick as it dries relatively quickly. Soap solution is when you want to move the PPF and slip it, and work the bubbles out. Use the alcohol on your starting part, where you want to tack the PPF down; and on the end. Soap everywhere else.

Afterward, and every day for a week, check the wrapped edges for lifting, and press down, as necessary.

The hood is the easiest, everything else is harder, based upon curves, or size, etc.
View attachment 550190
Did you do any pre work to the paint? I was going to order a kit from invisiblemask. But wanted to do hood first before anything. I saw the sheet is much cheaper and IM does not sell the hood only. Do you think I should go with precut from IM?