TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best door seal kit?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by HeatproofGenie, Nov 3, 2019.

1. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

• Informative x 1
  2. Cmdred

Cmdred Member

I experimented by taping over all the window edges in my 2019 Performance. The noise inside the cabin dropped DRAMATICALLY.

I'm going to buy a kit. Which one is the best one?

3. brur

brur Member

I saw a video richrebuilds did where an xtesla tech described how air was rushing through the roof / frame area, it being a hollow tube open to the frunck. He was describing a model X. He stuffed foam into the tunnel at the frunck connection. I looked, looks plausible but time-consuming in a 3.

4. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

You probably need to adjust your windows, which is pretty easy. Test with a business card to see how easily it can fit between the windows and seals.

Do the tests from inside the car.

5. Hank101

Hank101 Go Tigers!

How do you adjust your windows?

6. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

Also interested. My understanding is that this is a common flaw/issue with frameless windows and no type of door seal kit is going to fix it

7. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

You look up my thread on the topic.

8. TLLMRRJ

TLLMRRJ Active Member

Huh? You taped up your windows and now you want to buy a door seal kit??

• Funny x 1
  9. sbtz

sbtz Member

10. brur

brur Member

Enjoy the Rick Rebuilds ,
    but I now am in possession of a salvaged model 3. There is no gap that would allow air in the body above the doors.

11. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Exactly my thoughts. Maybe he didn't read what he typed. *sugar* is not going to work homie.....

• Like x 1
  12. daverosati1785

Has anyone compared the road noise in the 2020 models with the older models? I have a 2020 on the way and I'm trying to determine whether it's necessary to buy one of these door seal kits. It sounds like for anything built prior to the fall of 2019 it is a definite improvement, but I know Tesla promised to improve the seals/road noise on the 2020 models so I'm wondering how useful these kits are on the newer model?

13. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yes. My 2019 is louder in-cabin than the 2020. Aftermarket door seals do not reduce interior noise contrary to what the internet says. They DO however assist in keeping the door sills clean.