Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best door seal kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a huge proliferation of door seal kits and I'd like to know if there is a consensus on what is the best kit.

Main reason I want to add the door seals is not for wind noise as my car is pretty quite and doesn't suffer from excessive wind noise however it does let a lot of dust/grime/rain/snow/muck in through the bottom of the door gap.

If I get a wind noise reduction that would just be a plus.

Basenor seems to be the standard but the new Motrobe kit also includes seals for the trunk and frunk which might be nice.

Basenor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R13DYY...f92&ref_=pd_luc_rh_pd_luc_ac_b_02_01_t_img_lh
Motrobe
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSTTP5Z/ref=psdc_15710311_t2_B07R13DYYY

I can't say I get much gunk in the frunk but I can see how the trunk seal could help - despite the fact that we have a very minor lip - though the trunk lid itself does get quite dirty and you can't really just hose it off. The Basenor seals have help to minimize gunk in the door sills though. I've had them for about a month now. No issues to report.

I pretty much never use the frunk so that's not really on my radar but I have noticed the trunk does accumulate some dust, etc so an improvement there would be nice.

Good to hear that the seals have helped to minimize gunk in the door seals. I get quite a lot of gunk accumulation there especially during snow.

Interesting ... I did not know these precut kits existed. I would also be interested to keep water spots / dirt from getting “up” into door jams .. seems to happen even when exclusively home hand washing cars.
Plus the second kit ‘optimizes engine compartment cooling airflow” :p

They don't - not worth the money. My 2020 is quieter than my 2019.
Tear that 2020 apart and identify where the improvements were made for the sake of all of us! Haha

I haven’t seen much, if any, noise improvement from these added roof/ door seals but with the reports of newer cars having less cabin noise, I wish we could figure out what exactly tesla has done to get it quieter than all these solutions people have been trying.

I find most of the wind noise from the top of the window (maybe it's because of the frameless design).... If only there is a seal for this.
Agreed! Other than road noise from what seems like the front wheel wells, wind noise from the tops of the frameless windows is the most prominent source of sound for me. Besides checking that my windows are fully closed every 15 mins, I'm not sure what else can be done about that.

Reactions: Gasaraki
That is why I do not prefer frameless window designs. Just much harder to get a good seal, also less material so will inherently allow more sound to pass through.

Regarding the seal kits; if even the only thing I gain from installing is reduced muck, dust and water ingress then I will be happy. If some noise is reduced then all the better.

I'm thinking right now I'll go for the Motrobe kit.

When the rear window break-ins were at their peak, I was always driving with the rear seats down. The big difference in noise when I went back to keeping them up suggests the trunk could use some extra seals. The kits that offer that, like the Motrobe, seem preferable. The promise of a more "luxury" door closure sound is appealing, the loaner Model S I'm driving at the moment is nice that way.

Bulk by the yard stripping might be OK too, but some kits seem to have specialized shapes for different areas. Is that real? Is there a shape that works best?

Last edited:
Tear that 2020 apart and identify where the improvements were made for the sake of all of us! Haha

I haven’t seen much, if any, noise improvement from these added roof/ door seals but with the reports of newer cars having less cabin noise, I wish we could figure out what exactly tesla has done to get it quieter than all these solutions people have been trying.
I would love to tear it apart if I wasn't daily driving it. I do see the window seals are stiffer than the 19. I also believe the tires contribute to cabin noise - Continentals at least. I may experiment with some wheel well sound deadening.

I don't know if the X and the 3 have a similar pilar construction, but I saw a video from RichRebuilds where a Tesla tech revealed wind was coming up through the pilar from the frunk area on the early Xes. He stuffed expanding foam in the tunnel opening for a fix.
If they are constructed the same you might be hearing wind noise running through the roof frame.

btw, richrebuilds is worth the time, he is quite entertaining, in an odd way :)