TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best economy, cruise control or mild hypermile

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by navguy12, Apr 13, 2016.

1. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Experience driving hybrids for the past 9 years has taught me that on the freeway (401 in Ontario), NOT using cruise control always achieves a better rate of fuel economy.

Based on the Model S experience, does one get better empg using a steady foot on the "gas", gain speed going down a long grade (to 120 kph) and letting the speed decay on the uphill rebound (to 100 kph) before gradually applying pressure on the "gas"?
    Thanks

• Like x 1
  2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

i find cruise control helps me when I've got a lead foot, bit when trying to drive economically, I'm better off in control.

• Helpful x 1
  3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Cruse control is 'too aggressive' at maintaining set speed. It also does not see as far ahead as you do and hence it cannot predict when it is time to step it on and when it is better to let it slow down a bit.
    The worst case are low invisible hills that you can only detect by watching energy used in last second.

So, hyper-miling == CC off

• Informative x 1
  4. Socom

Socom Member

Yes I agree that CC is a bit too aggressive. I have gotten the best hyper-miling mpg with good old fancy footwork

5. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

hyper-miling in an EV seems completely crazy to me, a pointless exercise until you are on a journey where every mile counts.
    I used to drive my leaf with Eco always enabled and power sipping low acceleration etc etc to build all the trees and compete on their website to get better W/mile.
    Then I figured out how much I saved. Range was never an issue, so it could only come down to cost.
    Driving completely normally, having fun away from lights etc dropped my monthly W/mile from 5.2 to 4.7 and a increase in cost of a small cup of coffee from Starbucks - BFD

My advice - until you are extremely range constrained, don't worry about it. Enjoy the performance and everything the car has to offer, the extra electricity cost is never going to break your bank.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  6. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

I agree. It would be a shamed to drive the M3 the way I drive our Prius C. Although, hypermiling in the Prius C really can achieve some amazing mileage gains.

7. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Thanks folks for the inputs.
    From the replies I'll assume the Tesla S cruise control does not "see ahead" based on GPS and autonomous driving data points.
    I'd like to see an "eco" cruise control program written into the software where one enters a max and min highway speed desired, a watts per km to aim for (based on distance to destination charger/home) versus having to stop at a supercharger.

• Like x 3
  8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

That's exactly when I use such tactics. As an example, I recently did a 100+ mile trip with 15 rated miles buffer. I arrived with 4 rated miles remaining. The more you drive the S, the easier it gets to keep it above zero. ;)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

• Like x 2
  10. kort677

kort677 Active Member

with the 250+ mile range of a tesla at 70 mph I feel that there really is little need for miserly mode or hypermileing. If I was driving a leaf maybe I'd be more concerned about my how my driving affects the range of such a range limited car

• Like x 1
  11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

You should visit the hilly Northwest during the winter. I'd love it for my car to have 250+ mile range at 70mph in such conditions.

• Like x 3
  12. navguy12

navguy12 Member

The reson I'm buying a EV is the driving experience. Trying to sell the current marketplace on the economic merits of an EV is misplaced. No amount of spreadsheet evidence is going to sway someone from gas to electric. But the driving experience will. Much like granite countertops versus laminate, thin screen TV versus CRT, smart phone versus land line.

Thus, the cost of electricity is simply not a strong case to support the move to an EV. I agree, the 10% delta for electricity/fuel on a long EV road trip between driving all out and driving conservatively is moot.

I drive in an economical manner because it make me feel good, which is all that really matters. A by product of my driving habits are less wear on brakes, tires and, I'll assume, the traction battery pack. I'll hold onto a vehicle for at least 8 years and driving it in an economical manner pays dividends to me at the point I sell my vehicle.

13. plankeye

I think EV's and hybrids should have a button you can press that would tell the car to accelerate for you. Of course, you would be able to override it with either the brake or "gas." The reason I say this is because the vast majority of extra "gas" wasted is in the takeoff. If the car could accelerate at the optimum rate for efficiency, that would be so much easier than trying to get it right yourself at each stop.

• Like x 1
  14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Cruise control on autopilot-enabled Model S (for roads where it has a guess at the speed limit, etc. etc.) already does this. The problem is that there's no setting anywhere for "do this efficiently".

• Informative x 1
  15. plankeye

Hmmm. Yeah, regular cruise doesn't either. If you are more than a couple of MPH off, it will practically floor it to get up to set point.

• Like x 1
  16. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Really, if you want to get better empg, just slow down. Everything else that you do is just a rounding error compared to slowing your speed. You can double your empg by slowing down by 20-30 mph. That said, with Tesla's range you shouldn't have to be miserly unless you are on a long distance route with limited charging options. Just enjoy driving the car... and don't be afraid to punch it every once in a while. You'll find you can pass anyone anytime.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

One minor correction: except other Tesla Model S vehicles. Be careful also of "listening" to other cars to know when the lane is clear -- because sometimes that blind spot will be filled by a silent Tesla. ;)

18. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Brianman, thanks for the link. Exactly what I'm aiming for. I note the last input on your link is dated 29 Dec 2013.
    Has there been any further development of this concept? Thanks. Cheers. Mike.

19. navguy12

navguy12 Member

You bet. I've had the pleasure of test driving a Model S four times over the past 2 years. On the 3rd drive, I was getting into a "boxed in" situation that, driving my Prius, would have caused me to be trapped behind a slow moving dump truck. Instead, I "punched it". With four souls on board, I could not believe it. Neither could the chap in the left lane doing his best to box me in :)

• Like x 1
  20. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I love hot humid flat florida