Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best energy tariffs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My energy tariff is expiring in a couple of months so I’ve started looking around for the best deals especially in terms of electricity prices. I probably use about 50 KW per week charging my MS via my TWC at home.

I’m currently with Scottish Power with an electricity rate of approx 20p daily standing charge and 12p / KW
I can’t see many electricity deals that match my current deal, most are somewhere between 14p - 16p / KW with night daily standing charges too.

Is this the recent market price now or has anyone on a better deal?
Who’s the best energy company to go with for the best price electric currently?

Any advice most welcome, cheers

I've been with bulb for a year or so and have been very happy with them. Completely transparent and the prices have gone down promptly as the fuel prices dropped. Lots of people will offer theirs too but feel free to use my referral code:

Any questions, just yell.

Chris :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Prices are regional so what's good for one isn't for another. It's much like motor insurance, you really need to do your own research via comparison sites and then narrow down from there.
^^^This

That said, you can put some constraints on your search if you wish. For example, for electricity I look for suppliers with 100% renewable generation, in recent years they have often been the cheapest in my area anyway.

In terms of suppliers that fit well with EV drivers, Bulb often get mentioned, as do Octopus, and I was very impressed with Tonik (I'm a previous customer but swapped about a year ago for a cheaper tariff). Ecotricity give a discount for using their Electric Highway but they have never been competitive on price in my region. Existing customers often have referral codes or you may get the equivalent through comparison websites. Zap Map also have a review of EV tariffs here: What EV energy tariffs are available? - Zap-Map

In terms of comparison sites, I like Money Savings Expert's Cheap Energy Club but there are plenty of others.

Some people complain about their direct debit amounts changing but for electricity all that really matters is the standing charge and p/kWh, plus an idea of your annual consumption in kWh (looks like the OP knows this). Estimated annual consumption figures often seem to be miles out and bear no resemblance to historical consumption, hence the dodgy direct debit amounts. It helps if you can keep track yourself and then get on to customer services if you're running up a surplus for example.

I'm currently with Outfox the Market but they have had a lot of flak for changing rates and particularly hiking direct debit amounts just before Christmas and got swamped with billing complaints/mistakes, so I can't say I'd recommend them!

Some of these suppliers are starting to offer variable tariffs which are a bit more sophisticated that Economy 7, offering cheap off-peak rates or time-of-day variations. I've run some calculations (like the OP I use about 50kWh a week charging the car) and haven't found a variable tariff that betters the flat rate ones by a significant amount (unless I start telling the family to run the dishwasher at night and get up early to use the shower!). The situation with "smart" meters is a mess as well. Hopefully this will mature and make things like home batteries more cost effective while at the same time taking some pressure off the national grid at peak times (= less power stations needed).

• Helpful
Reactions: Chills
I'm hoping to change to people's energy Affordable energy with profits returned to customers | People's Energy but it is a small company and customer service is weak I hear. Eventually hope to get an E7 meter installed and get their E7 tariff. Also worth having a look at bulb Bulb - Making energy simpler, cheaper, greener

Cheers Jayc, I got the best quote from People Energy so have signed up with them...if they turn out to be rubbish I can easily switch again to another supplier.

The situation with "smart" meters is a mess as well. Hopefully this will mature and make things like home batteries more cost effective while at the same time taking some pressure off the national grid at peak times (= less power stations needed).

Agreed - Peoples Energy said they couldn't take readings from smart meters as they are not setup to do so and it would be costly to change, but they would continue to look at possibility of taking reading themselves in future.

A bit late now I see, but Pure Planet are very competitive (and 100% renewable tariff) and should be the same price in Northampton as they are for me in Buckingham. Actually I think they have a single tariff for all regions - currently 13.49 p/kWh and no fixed term contract, so you are free to switch anytime. I've noticed that prices have been going up over the last year across the board.

Referral code below for £25 Amazon voucher:-

https://referme.to/F51r0go

I'm with outfox the market as well.they recently hiked up the monthly direct debit so that it would better reflect the higher winter heating costs .went from £90/ month to £169/month then they realised they couldn't do that without giving you prior notification .still taking £169 as we speak.
Might look around for a better deal if there is one.

I'm with outfox the market as well.they recently hiked up the monthly direct debit so that it would better reflect the higher winter heating costs .went from £90/ month to £169/month then they realised they couldn't do that without giving you prior notification .still taking £169 as we speak.
Might look around for a better deal if there is one.

I’m with them, trading as Eco 7 Energy. I complained strongly at their crazy decision to split the year into 2 billing periods, rather than spreading the cost equally across the year. They have backed down but the most recent direct debit rise was based on industry average anticipated usage, not your own. Doubly ridiculous when they recommend you submit monthly readings - and then ignore them. I remonstrated again and they have reduced mine back to what it was before. I am well in credit which is gradually being eroded as the winter months bite, and that’s to be expected.

I looked at moving away but even though they have increased their unit prices a couple of times they are still the cheapest for me.

I've been with Affect Energy for 2 years - best Low rate I could find, currently 14.5p for peak rate and 5.8p for low rate. (Brighton area) As I use 3 times as much wow compared to peak rate it's a good deal. Very happy with their service. very basic website, no flashy stuff. They even contacted me to suggest a lower monthly payment as I was accumulating credit.

PS - Just checked the current deals - Affect has gone up dramatically, I gather they've been swallowed up by Octopus. Oh well, looks like back to EDF - the only problem with that is that you have to agree to have a smart meter when they are available, and I'll lose the assumed 50% Export FIT for may solar - current actually export less than 20% Damn! The government is going to get us one way or another!

Bulb are one of the cheapest on the market ATM. Looks like you already got a code to get £50 credit.

I’m with them and very happy. Soon “don’t know when” they will launch a smart tariff which will make charging your EV overnight about half the cost of their current cheapest tariff, I’m very excited about it :)

Bulb are one of the cheapest on the market ATM. Looks like you already got a code to get £50 credit.

I’m with them and very happy. Soon “don’t know when” they will launch a smart tariff which will make charging your EV overnight about half the cost of their current cheapest tariff, I’m very excited about it :)

That sounds interesting if they don't jack up the peak rates too much. Just checked Bulb prices and they are only fractionally cheaper than my current tariff on single rate, but their E7 rates look attractive (my current supplier doesn't offer E7 unfortunately).

I was with Out Fox The Market before they went all stupid.
I have now been with Octopus Energy since the beginning of the year, and all good service so far, and also now using their Economy 4 tariff.

I assume its only Tesla Referrals that cant be posted?

Moderator comment - no referral codes can be posted

43B505D0-92BD-4330-8557-98D4C2701C5F.jpeg

The peak rate is high but I expect I’d pay less overall due to charging as such a cheap rate

If anyone wants to switch feel freee to use my code for £50 credit on your bill

That three-rate tariff does have an extortionate peak rate though - does that really make sense unless you have a battery or similar to avoid the peak rate?

To compare with an E7 tariff, I took numbers off Bulb's website for my area:

Three-rate: Peak 41.44 off-peak 11.28 night 7.59
E7: day 15.939 night 7.592.

So the night rate (for EV charging...) is the same; the three-rate tariff is cheaper if you can avoid use during the peak rate and does also have the advantage of an extra hour of the night rate.

For the 16 hours of daytime, three of those hours are at the peak rate, so if you used constant power throughout you'd be paying an effective rate of (11*11.28+3*41.44)/16 = 15.52, so a fraction under the E7 day rate. Unfortunately, most people probably do use more during the peak time, especially if you have solar.

For non-solar owners who work late most nights and so cook their dinner after 7pm, or solar owners with batteries, it's probably a win but not a huge one - the gain over E7 is 30% if you can move all your daytime from the peak to off-peak (and assuming in either case you move everything possible into the night rate).

It's a good tariff for battery owners though.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The problem with the Go tariff is that it's only for 4 hours a night (smart meter presumably). My current Affect Energy Low rate tariff is 5.8p/kWh but they've been taken over by Octopus and the new rate would be nearly 10p/kWh similar to most of the Octopus rates except the Go tariff. For me the current best deal is the EDF Easy Online March 20 - only 4.3p/kWh for Low. Peak rate is a high 22.9kWh but as I use only a quarter of peak compared to Low rate (9000/3200kWh with solar and charging Model S at night) it's still a better deal. How long that will last is anybody's guess!