Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best EQ Setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like to know if any of you found any good EQ settings you use for your model y. I listen to lots of edm, rap and rock. Would love some snapshots of your settings. I know everyone’s ears are different but I’d at least like a starting point. Thank you!

I love bass and my settings are the following so I can reduce distortion and feel the bass as well:
1660943934329.png

Upvote 0
Lol. EQ's should only be adjusted with a pink nose generator, and an RTA. Boosting frequencies by ear is the very worst thing you can do. Even with an RTA, when tuning a system, try to to balance things by cutting instead of boosting.
If your a bass hog, try just turning up the sub, instead of the EQ. This still keep the Low Bass frequenciesout of your door midbass speakers. Prolonging their life.
However, calling the thin tissue paper thing in a plastic enclosure a subwoofer is a real stretch anyway.

Reactions: CuriousWren
Upvote 0
Such silliness. I'd expect the best most accurate, or least inaccurate, setting is dead flat. EQs like these are hamhanded and essentially worthless. The best you can do is maybe pump up the bass if you prefer lower volumes, as the ear is less sensitive to bass at lower volumes, or pump up the treble because you know you have significant age related hearing loss.

I suppose you could play test tones with a speaker in the driver's seat and try to see what's actually going on with the stereo, but even then, the EQ is still going to be almost worthless. Now if you play audio from your phone to bluetooth and you have an app with a real EQ, then you could get more serious.

Still, better to just not touch it.

Upvote 0
Such silliness. I'd expect the best most accurate, or least inaccurate, setting is dead flat. EQs like these are hamhanded and essentially worthless. The best you can do is maybe pump up the bass if you prefer lower volumes, as the ear is less sensitive to bass at lower volumes, or pump up the treble because you know you have significant age related hearing loss.

I suppose you could play test tones with a speaker in the driver's seat and try to see what's actually going on with the stereo, but even then, the EQ is still going to be almost worthless. Now if you play audio from your phone to bluetooth and you have an app with a real EQ, then you could get more serious.

Still, better to just not touch it.
do you know how to find the media bar .....I want to change balance bot cant find the stupid media control icon to change audio setting......can you tell me....thanks

Upvote 0
Such silliness. I'd expect the best most accurate, or least inaccurate, setting is dead flat.
Dead flat on the output system control (ie the car audio app) doesnt guarantee dead flat in actual output, unless the car was tuned to be flat. They often arent.

Even if objective measurements of test tones are involved, there's also the issue that a microphone in free air doesnt represent the audiopath to a persons eardrums. And then on top of that each persons has different sensitivities to different frequencies.

And ultimately, audio is a matter of subjectivity so people should just tune to whatever sounds best to them. To me, the OEM system is a bit bright, and lacks mid-bass punch I prefer. I would pull down the rightmost parameter and push up the mid-left... but most of the time I just leave it alone.

Upvote 0
Dead flat on the output system control (ie the car audio app) doesnt guarantee dead flat in actual output, unless the car was tuned to be flat. They often arent.
They never are. No mobile audio system is flat. The auto cockpit is a horrible environment for hifi sound. But we can make the best of it, and the best of it very often requires eq'ing to taste. That's what it's there for, not to fix what Tesla themselves couldn't provide, but to accommodate each person's individual preferences. Some like more bass, some like more treble, some like midrange to be accentuated.

And about keeping the eq flat because it's somehow ideal (as someone else had said), no it's not. It's a strong average (Tesla's audio is pretty good after all), but the default settings are absolutely not to be considered flat. Not even ideal for you, just ideal on a mass-market scale.

I've been in this business for over 30 years and have built several recording studios and designed many other audio systems and not once have we circumnavigated frequency tweaking, to some degree (and this could be in the form of driver placement and/or room treatments), in order to maximize that particular environment. "Flat" is never flat, and this is never more true than in a car. A studio tends to aim for truth, so that we know that what we're hearing is what's on the recording, but that doesn't need to be true upon playback.

All that to say that you should adjust to the sound that pleases you and your passengers the most. Feel free to start with someone else's suggestions, but don't think that they should be considered scripture. Same goes for the ambience parameters. If you like it off, or maximized, great -- that's the ideal setting for you.

Reactions: holmgang
Upvote 0

Even if objective measurements of test tones are involved, there's also the issue that a microphone in free air doesnt represent the audiopath to a persons eardrums. And then on top of that each persons has different sensitivities to different frequencies.

And ultimately, audio is a matter of subjectivity so people should just tune to whatever sounds best to them. To me, the OEM system is a bit bright, and lacks mid-bass punch I prefer. I would pull down the rightmost parameter and push up the mid-left... but most of the time I just leave it alone.
I said to put the EQ dead flat, not that the output would be dead flat. Unless somebody is a trained listener, they're more likely to make things worse than better, and considering the lack of EQ resolution, I'm not sure anybody could make the car better. Just different.

In general, people prefer a the Harman curve of frequency response.

A microphone in free air is going to get a lot closer to actual sound produced than joe schmo guessing with his untrained ears.

Music has a preference. Audio reproduction is a science.

Upvote 0