Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best EV charging solution for Condo Association

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I recently purchased a home at Ocean Edge, a large condo community on Cape Cod. The condo association wants to add EV chargers but they don't have a large budget. What companies are best for the Condo Association to consider. I immediately thought of Charge Point but I don't know the cost of the install, stations, etc.

The condo association mentioned that P/E firms sometime finance the chargers in hopes of making money on it.

have any suggestions for what companies my condo company should talk to? Thanks

The Tesla Joy YouTube channel has a series on installing EVSEs at her condo. It's been a challenge for her, largely because she's been trying to take advantage of California state incentives, and that means dealing with a sluggish bureaucracy, made more sluggish by the pandemic. She initially chose ChargePoint, but because of price increases, she changed providers in the latest entry, and switched to Blink, which she believes will be more cost-effective. It's been over a year and she still doesn't have a working EVSE station at her condo, thanks to the aforementioned bureaucracy.

I have no personal experience with this, so I'm not trying to strongly advocate for Blink or against ChargePoint; I'm just sharing this one third-party opinion/decision.

Chargepoint, Wallbox, and Blink have pretty good solutions already, which can allow the association to control charging, chargeback for charging, etc. and might be a good place to start. Between those, Chargepoint and Blink seem to have the better solutions, IMO. Electrify America and Tesla also make good quality Level 2 chargers, though they don't seem to offer a management system for the association (yet?). If all you want is chargers, those might be good options to buy. Tesla offers both Tesla connector style, as well as J1772 universal connector style.

Good luck, I hope the association finds a good solution that works for everyone!

Chargepoint, Wallbox, and Blink have pretty good solutions already, which can allow the association to control charging, chargeback for charging, etc. and might be a good place to start. Between those, Chargepoint and Blink seem to have the better solutions, IMO. Electrify America and Tesla also make good quality Level 2 chargers, though they don't seem to offer a management system for the association (yet?). If all you want is chargers, those might be good options to buy. Tesla offers both Tesla connector style, as well as J1772 universal connector style.

Good luck, I hope the association finds a good solution that works for everyone!
It's my understanding that Tesla will take care of the billing but requires 6+ chargers in a location:

Last edited:
It's my understanding that Tesla will take care of the billing but requires 6+ chargers in a location:

Yeah, if you can get a commercial setup from them. Not sure how amenable the HOA might be to that, or how open Tesla is to an HOA being a "business"? The good thing is there's a bunch of good options, hopefully OP's association picks a good one to partner with long term!