Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best EV for Saudi Arabia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll look into that.

I just went to the EPA site and clicked the link for a list of all new EVs (link below).
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...m&path=1&year1=2014&year2=2016&vtype=Electric

It seems the Fiat 500e is also liquid cooled.

So is the Smart Electric Drive, according to below.
http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2015/02/f19/batterySmart7525.pdf

I think that about rounds it up for all the liquid cooled options.

For the non-Teslas: BMW i3, Ford Focus Electric, Spark EV, Fiat 500e, Smart Electric Drive.
Tesla-related: RAV4 EV, B Class Electric Drive.

.............................The evaluation isn't on the car itself per se, but rather how car charging can impact the grid and how to mitigate it.T I'm liking the idea, though, of getting two different ones with different thermal management techniques to evaluate how they hold up in such extreme temperatures.

Range is secondary, they need to be able to drive around the Dharhan area................ We aren't going to be doing any BMS tinkering, especially since that could change its charging behavior which is really what we care about.

Congratulations on winning the grant.:smile:

I might be totally off with my comment, it is difficult to say anything meaningful with scant information, but if the study does not look into the car, why do you need a car? Why not get a second-hand Tesla battery, it might be cheaper.

There are so many ways to discharge the battery. Having it power the car that you need to drive around is only one way.

How about getting few Powerpack or Powerwall units and studying their effects on the grid? I am sure I am missing something here.

This is such an interesting thread. I hope you keep us posted on developments.

Congratulations on winning the grant.:smile:

I might be totally off with my comment, it is difficult to say anything meaningful with scant information, but if the study does not look into the car, why do you need a car? Why not get a second-hand Tesla battery, it might be cheaper.

There are so many ways to discharge the battery. Having it power the car that you need to drive around is only one way.

How about getting few Powerpack or Powerwall units and studying their effects on the grid? I am sure I am missing something here.

This is such an interesting thread. I hope you keep us posted on developments.

It's always better if you can get data from a real car rather than a simulated one for lots of reasons, plus then we get to drive around in it.

I knew there was a catch:wink:

One car is enough for driving around

True, I should have said we get to drive around in them. One of the perks of such a project. :wink: But seriously, while the budget to buy the cars is for a specific study, having real cars lets us research lots of other things after the project is over. Having a used battery pack without the car wouldn't let us. Do that.

True, I should have said we get to drive around in them. One of the perks of such a project. :wink: But seriously, while the budget to buy the cars is for a specific study, having real cars lets us research lots of other things after the project is over. Having a used battery pack without the car wouldn't let us. Do that.

I knew there was a catch:wink:

One car is enough for driving around

I will not insist on further clarifications.....it is clear enough

Hopefully, there will be some posts about the SA grid research project

SA burns oil to produce electricity, but I read somewhere that they want to diversify into solar and nuclear

My expectation for SA is that it will be a tough market for both electric cars and batteries. Current grid rates are 1- 7 c/kWh. Fuel price was 12 c/l in q3 2015. Tough to compete with.