Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best EV Tarrif without smart meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe they take the monthly reading and the average of the daily price to make a price for the month.. but its a good enough price when you're either waiting for your smart meter to be installed or can't get one installed.

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time. I picked up my 2021 LRM3 from Leeds just before Christmas and absolutely love the car.

I've been trying to get on the Octopus Go 5p tarrif and started the process back in September but we have run into a few issues with my signal.
Octopus have finally confirmed that I am unable to have a smart meter fitted due to my proximity to Fylingdales RAF base, which is over 50km away, until the smart hub is certified for use, but they don't yet have a timeline for this.

Whilst I am waiting for the smart hub to be certified, I'm looking for advice to which is the best Electric tarrif for me?
I'm currently on the Octopus Tracker, which last month average cost was 16.82p/Kwh and the month before 13.4p/Kwh.

Obviously I'm not driving too much at the moment and I've got a free pod point 2 miles from my house, but I got the car so I could charge for little cost at home.

Your help is really appreciated!

Go to EDF, explain to them your situation, get them to modify a metre that is for off and on peak electric, the correct hours for go electric tariff.

They did it for me, depending on your usage, and if you set washing machines, dish washers etc, for over night use, it will work out cheaper than any of the others.

The standing charge is 16.88p/day but I've no idea how that compares.

Yep. That sounds like the one but see no reference to the standing charge.

We are already octopus smart meter but so low use that the standing charge is the bulk of the bill.

edit - found it - its in the FAQ How is the price of the Octopus Tracker calculated? 15.986p + vat looks to be nearly 5p/day less than what we are currently paying

Last edited:
Just tried to switch to octopus tracker (current on flexible) - FAQ says you need to join a waiting list but when you do try to sign up it tries to sign you up as a new user with a fresh quote - and the standing charge quoted bears no resemblance to the standing charge in the FAQ.

Just tried to switch to octopus tracker (current on flexible) - FAQ says you need to join a waiting list but when you do try to sign up it tries to sign you up as a new user with a fresh quote - and the standing charge quoted bears no resemblance to the standing charge in the FAQ.
Give them a call..its quicker...they switched me in a couple of days last year

Odd.. I just signed up and was on it immediately.

Standing charge varies per area, so there isn't a single one. eg. for me it's 16.88p but if I remove my account details and go for the 'default' one it says 17.87 - I'm not actually sure how you drill down per area without an account though.

Last edited:
They did it for me, depending on your usage, and if you set washing machines, dish washers etc, for over night use, it will work out cheaper than any of the others.
That sounds great - what did you have to say to them?
Realistically though, with a young family - the majority of our electricity use is in the day/ evenings. What can you realistically run through the night other than dishwasher/ washing machine?

They messed up and offered me the deal, but then revised that they could not put a smart metre in, so they offered to modify an older metre, and installed it.

You have other things running at night like fridge freezer, etc. and as Andywil said it is all weekend. and not the worry of getting your car charged just in the small time slot of other suppliers, I did have to hassle them.

That sounds great - what did you have to say to them?
Realistically though, with a young family - the majority of our electricity use is in the day/ evenings. What can you realistically run through the night other than dishwasher/ washing machine?
It depends on each individuals situation. Some heat water with electric and not gas, some have EVs or Heat Pumps all fairly high uses of electric. Each house /family is different. You ask the questions. We can only provide suggestions based on our personal experiences. Its now up to you to go away and do the sums to see if any of our suggestions will work in your personal situation and if you can make changes to your situation to make one of the suggested tariffs work for you. It took me about a week of research till I thought I'd found the cheapest tariff and then someone here kindly mentioned the tracker which made a £120 /Yr difference to my mums bill.

I have updated the spreadsheet as best I can with all the known EV tariffs. If anybody finds another tariff that is worth adding, just let me know. Most of the EV tariffs require a smart meter to benefit from the cheapest rates. When you do your research do not forget that a traditional Economy 7 tariff may be better suited to your lifestyle.
The spreadsheet requires you to approximate your monthly electricity consumption and allocate your average consumption over peak/off peak period which vary between suppliers and so you will need to play around with the figures to get a fair comparison.

Reactions: DigbyChicken