Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best explanation I've seen for fixing noisy/chattering wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had about car for about a year and even after two service center visits to fix the chattering/noisy windshield wipers, I still have noisy wipers.

Just came across this video that seems to explain exactly what causes the issue and how to fix it. Each time I took the car to the service center, they just replaced the wipers when the adjustment needs to be done to the wiper arm and it really needs to be tested in rain or rain like conditions to know the issue is fixed. Wish there was a way for me to send this video to the Service Center as their current method of replacing wipers is not the solution for this specific issue.

Anyone else have any tricks that works to stop the awful wiper chatter noises?

By pushing and pulling, you are introducing a twist in the middle of the wiper blade? Would you not want to twist the blade in the same direction (top and bottom) to straighten it out along its entire length?

That would make sense... Maybe the leverage point should be closer to the base?

I've never had wiper chatter issues like I do with my current car. Seems the wiper arms are not the angle they should be...

By pushing and pulling, you are introducing a twist in the middle of the wiper blade? Would you not want to twist the blade in the same direction (top and bottom) to straighten it out along its entire length?
Why would it matter? What he is twisting is the wiper arm, not the blade that does the wiping. You want the arm mounting point of the blade to be parallel to the glass. Anything else is just cosmetic. Once the blade mounting point is parallel to the glass then you get what he describes in the video and the blade will flip back and forth.

It’s a bit hard to tell in the first part of the video because the wrenches have the wiper fluid tubes running over them. The blade is actually at the bottom and not near the wrenches.

Definitely a good idea; have to put my wiper blades in maint mode on both cars and check this angle to see if they are parallel (or perpendicular, depending on how you look at it. :D).

Reactions: Tessaract
I know he's not twisting the blade. I went to check the construction, and yes, there is only one mount point for the blade to the arm, so yes, this will work. I had in my mind an older stamped arm from a different car that would introduce a twist with this method.