Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best extension cord-50ft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I know that I've seen a few threads about this topic, so I apologize for the repetitiveness but I could only find one with actual links or brands.

Long story short, I am going camping in two weeks. The owners said I could plug in by the bathhouse but its about 50-60ft away from the nearest parking spot. I figure if I use the Tesla provided 20ft one, I can get away with just getting a 50ft extension cord. I know its certainly not ideal and i know I will only get 2-4 miles an hour charge but I am staying there for 3 days, so it should make it worth the while. Does anyone have any brand or links that they have used and know will work? I know Tesla's are a bit finicky with extension cords, so I am trying to figure out which ones have worked with success.

Thanks so much!

Here's a good 12 gauge one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TES-Gauge-Heavy-Extension-Lighted/dp/B019GT5G4U

While you can buy a 10 gauge one, it isn't worth it for a 15A connection. 50' extension cords get pretty heavy as it is.

It would be interesting to see if the boathouse is sporting an actual 20A receptacle. If so, you could charge at 16A instead of the 12A with the appropriate Tesla adapter. You would then see about a 42% faster charge rate. Worth it if they have a 20A circuit.

The difference between 15A and 20A household receptacles is show here in the lower sidebar: CarCharging.us

Its about 50-60ft away from the nearest parking spot. I figure if I use the Tesla provided 20ft one, I can get away with just getting a 50ft extension cord.!

Be careful about that - extension cords can't be tensioned into a perfect straight line like a piece of string. They wind left and right (up and down) no matter how hard your try to straighten them. That requires about 20-30% more cord, not counting obstacles and heights.

Take, for example that the outlet will be 2 feet off the ground. It might be around a corner. The car is 3-4 feet off the ground. There might be trees in the way, etc, etc.

It sounds like it might work, but just barely - and it might not.

Better to get a 75-100 ft extension cord, or 2x50, 1x50,1x25 ft cords.