Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Guess on Future Model S Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla may announce new options in 2013 that make buyers defer their order to wait for them. Awesome exterior colors. 4WD. ACC. Lane departure warning. 110kWh pack...

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves :smile:.

-To keep the cost the same, at the predicted 7% annual improvement in batteries, a 110 kWh pack won't come along for almost 4 years.
-I wouldn't expect to see 4WD on the Model S...I don't think it's necessary, and doubt that Tesla will jump through the hoops to rework the Model S drivetrain to make it happen. As electric drive traction control works so well, and the Model S is not an off road vehicle, I suspect they'll spend their efforts in other areas (adding more "luxury" features and small design tweaks).

Actually I am willing to bet that we'll see AWD popping up as an option on Model S in 2013. By then they'll have the technology worked out for Model X and they could probably squeeze in a forward motor by intruding on the frunk storage area, probably by removing that extra little storage compartment.

Who will buy me a beer if I'm right?
oldrikker.gif

Actually I am willing to bet that we'll see AWD popping up as an option on Model S in 2013. By then they'll have the technology worked out for Model X and they could probably squeeze in a forward motor by intruding on the frunk storage area, probably by removing that extra little storage compartment.

Who will buy me a beer if I'm right? View attachment 6776

I think you're right and I'll come have a beer with you!
maybe I'll buy u one and you can buy me one
mmm... beeer

Who will buy me a beer if I'm right? View attachment 6776

I'm not so sure. They have 10K reservations and counting and will probably sell out next year by summer 2013 that they don't need AWD option till 2014.

I'm thinking around Model X launch in 2014 as well. Look at what happened with Apple when they came out with the original iPhone (I think) and dropped the price $200 almost immediately after launch. Rightly or wrongly, people who waited in line and were early supporters were pissed (I think they didn't really have a case to complain but they did). Imagine the people who have been waiting 2-3 years finally get their cars in July-December and in January, Telsa announces the updates for the Model S coming out in March that have all these cool features but don't make them available to the early adopters. I think they have to give people some time with their cars and get into regular production before they start adding a bunch of new features. Whatever they do, I hope they're able to offer some of them as upgrades to the early Model S owners.

I'm thinking around Model X launch in 2014 as well. Look at what happened with Apple when they came out with the original iPhone (I think) and dropped the price $200 almost immediately after launch. Rightly or wrongly, people who waited in line and were early supporters were pissed (I think they didn't really have a case to complain but they did).

I purchased my iPhone on the first day. Actually, I had intended to wait a bit but I went to the mall after work to see what the lines were like and they moved so quickly that it was only 45 minutes. The people who were first in line had waited there all day. And no, it didn't make me unhappy that they dropped the price because there was a lot of speculation that they would do that. But it was sure nice of them to refund the difference.

Imagine the people who have been waiting 2-3 years finally get their cars in July-December and in January, Telsa announces the updates for the Model S coming out in March that have all these cool features but don't make them available to the early adopters. I think they have to give people some time with their cars and get into regular production before they start adding a bunch of new features. Whatever they do, I hope they're able to offer some of them as upgrades to the early Model S owners.

My expectation is that the first bunch of upgrades will be in the software which everyone will get. Next they'll get accessories like a good supplier of aero wheels, a roof rack to go into the roof rack mounts that are already there, and of course, the add in console. I doubt there will be any physical changes (such as AWD or improved air suspension) until 1.5 or 2.0 because they need to recoup their development costs first and the quickest way to do that is to sell a bunch of mostly unchanged cars.

From my conversations with Tesla employees they will be offering 4wd, lane departure warning, active cruise control, blind spot monitoring and other class standard features on future vehicles (perhaps Model S but more likely Model X). These features should be able to be retrofitted in early delivery Model S'. The major question (internally) is if these options should be offered for free to Signature customers after their first or second service or if these should be paid upgrades. From what I gather, Tesla did not want to release these items with the initial batch of Model S' as they may create complexities if a major problem should arise.

It is also quite possible all Model S models may include many features of higher end variants, but may have these features disabled (by software).

From my conversations with Tesla employees they will be offering 4wd, lane departure warning, active cruise control, blind spot monitoring and other class standard features on future vehicles (perhaps Model S but more likely Model X). These features should be able to be retrofitted in early delivery Model S'. The major question (internally) is if these options should be offered for free to Signature customers after their first or second service or if these should be paid upgrades. From what I gather, Tesla did not want to release these items with the initial batch of Model S' as they may create complexities if a major problem should arise.

It is also quite possible all Model S models may include many features of higher end variants, but may have these features disabled (by software).

To me it looks strange that some features like AWD and ACC can be retrofitted. But maybe I am wrong.

Tesla will definitely have AWD in the Model S based off this job posting:

Careers | Tesla Motors

Required to build ‘mule’ model S 4WD vehicles by modifying model S 2WD vehicles.

Great find! A little dissappointing that they're only at the stage of applying for the person to build the mule. Implies at least 2 years to market. Or not?

Back during the alpha model s prototype reveal in 2009, they stated AWD as an option. That has not been mentioned again since the model X was shown.

I believe you will see an AWD model S after the model X is on the market.

As far as the future of the model S, all these features will come. Even larger batteries. Think about it, once the Gen 3 models get here, the Model S doesn't have to be a Swiss Army knife. There will be no need of a $50k price point, 40kw battery. The S will move up more luxury features, ACC, lane guidance. And looking at the Model X maybe the Model s will loose the mirrors for less drag.

Right now the model S is equipped like a 3 series, once they are building a 3 series type car, the model S can move more into the 5 series feature list. Cut out the entry price model, and still have your margins. Then the Gen 3 car comes in to fill the entry model S point we have today.