Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best height off ground for NEMA 14-50 outlet & UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What height off the ground are people installing g the NEMA14-50 outlet?

I know there's a minimum suggested height (I can't find it right now -- was it something like 14"??), but I was wondering if there is a good height for the plug such that the UMC doesn't pull so hard on the receptacle and angle out due to the weight of the cable and its attached transformer box.

I don't have my car or cable yet, but I was thinking of a plug height that has the UMCs transformer box just a little bit above the ground, still allowing a gentle bend of the UMC so that the rest of the cable runs along the ground to the car. That way the weight of the cable and box aren't putting as much traction on the plug, and they are slightly supported by the cable run on the ground.

I set mine at 48 inches, which happens to be the maximum height for ADA compliance. That's not a concern if this is in your house, but I found it a convenient height.

15 inches is the minimum, so feel free to use the height that works best for your needs.

Standards vary by state and type of construction.

The NEC does not dictate receptacle height, although the ADA and some building codes do. Commercial and public housing building codes in CA have a minimum 15" - 48" height, for example. Generally, in your own home you are permitted to place it at whatever height you desire. There is one technicality, which is discussed in the FAQ below. The 14-50 + UMC is considered an appropriate disconnect for NEC article 625, and it must be "accessible", which is subjectively determined by the AHJ / inspector. There is also a requirement that the "coupling means" (the Tesla end of the UMC cable) be installed and stored between 18" and 48".

The FAQ I maintain, located here, discusses this. See the question entitled "AT WHAT HEIGHT SHOULD I INSTALL MY 14-50 OUTLET?"

I was thinking of getting this (http://shop.teslamotors.com/collect...ent-high-power-wall-connector-cable-organizer) to help the hanging UMC look clean and organized on the wall.. what do you all think? (pretty sure that this will fit the umc)
That will work but be aware that the coupler (connector, nozzle, whatever) will never sit nice and tidy like it shows in the picture. The tension/weight of the coiled up cable will push it to one side or the other and make it easy for a light brush to knock it out of the holder. In the worst case, it won't even stay in the holder. Bad design. Tesla needs to redesign that one.