Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Hitch (Bike Focused)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I agree that they are incredibly similar. I suppose that is bound to happen when designing around the constraints of the same car. I agree that 1.25 is plenty for bikes but I've already got a 2 in rack so I'll be getting a 2 in receiver, also I'll be carrying 3 bikes when my kids get bigger which I think a 2 in receiver is better suited due to cantilever effect.

Also agree the Ecohitch doesn't seem to protrude as far. Usually I'd say that's a plus but with the model 3 and it's size it might be better to have the receiver come out a bit farther so that hopefully the trunk could be opened with a bike mounted.

I'm still undecided, it doesn't seem there is a clear winner. I suppose that means you can't go wrong with either though. I might wait for Black Friday sales to purchase. My 3 comes this Thursday or Friday, was supposed to 12/18 but I can probably take some time off riding at "drive to" trails. Is supposed to be off season after all (I race competitive Enduro).

I'm planning to get a 2" receiver as well to support my North Shore Rack to haul our 4 mountain bikes (or BMXs, depending on the weekend) all season long. I'll be interested to hear how your set-up works out for you with the Torklift (that I see you bought down-thread) as that is the one I was contemplating. I think I'll be able to open the trunk with the NSR mounted with no bikes (without folding etc, I can on my Leaf), and also with the BMXs since they load wheels facing backwards. MTBs I don't think it will though.

I'm planning to get a 2" receiver as well to support my North Shore Rack to haul our 4 mountain bikes (or BMXs, depending on the weekend) all season long. I'll be interested to hear how your set-up works out for you with the Torklift (that I see you bought down-thread) as that is the one I was contemplating. I think I'll be able to open the trunk with the NSR mounted with no bikes (without folding etc, I can on my Leaf), and also with the BMXs since they load wheels facing backwards. MTBs I don't think it will though.

I'll definitely report back. I love the idea of a NSR on a Model 3, people are ridiculous thinking they need such large vehicles just to transport bikes, etc. No need for a crew cab Superduty just to carry bikes.

I'll probably start using my Thule T2 since that's what I have but I'm going to check out One Up as well. Not sure I need a NSR but as of now all the family wants to drive is the Model 3 not my wifes '18 Highlander so I might need to carry 4 bikes as well.

Reactions: KootsChewt
I'll definitely report back. I love the idea of a NSR on a Model 3, people are ridiculous thinking they need such large vehicles just to transport bikes, etc. No need for a crew cab Superduty just to carry bikes.

I'll probably start using my Thule T2 since that's what I have but I'm going to check out One Up as well. Not sure I need a NSR but as of now all the family wants to drive is the Model 3 not my wifes '18 Highlander so I might need to carry 4 bikes as well.
Definitely think along the same lines re bike transport... so many people think mountain biking means you need to own a truck. >90% of the biking around Nelson can be accessed with my Nissan Leaf just fine on the forestry roads, and we often ride up anyways (I don't want my kids to get lazy by shuttling them! I also like "enduro" style riding.)

The workout for the 3 is going to be launching/retrieving our 4,000 lbs sailboat twice a year! (Which the outgoing Subaru Forester does fine with only a 2,400 lbs tow rating.)

Reactions: HeatproofGenie
My kids are 7 and 5 so we are just getting started riding on actual trail riding as a family which is part of why, to start I'm focusing on single or two bike transport. I use a TowWhee right now for some of the bigger climbs to help the kids. I can't wait until the kids can get out for more proper rides.
Nelson looks like it's got some great riding. Might have to try and get up there. I rode Whistler, Squamish, Pemberton last summer and it was incredible.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ek711
I just got my Model 3 yesterday :) I have a One Up rack that I've been using with an Audi Q5. I'll get a hitch mounted on my Model 3 in the Spring. I love the One Up rack. I had a Thule T2 previously. It's fine, but I prefer the One Up.

Regarding hitches, I've looked at the sites (and videos and forum threads) for both the EcoHitch and Stealth. The pros for the Stealth as far as I can tell are: it's lighter; the receiver attaches more easily; the receiver has a lock. The pros for the EcoHitch are: it doesn't stick out as far; the opening in the bumper is smaller and they sell (an overly priced) cover. A big pro in favor of the EcoHitch for me is that the company, TorkLift, is local to my area (Seattle) and I can go there to have them install it. The receiver on the EcoHitch secures with a bolt that looks like it's a bit tricky to insert due to the limited space. The local factor, along with the cover, are why I'll likely go with the EcoHitch.

For the One Up, I have been using it for the past two years for road bikes, trail mountain bikes, and heavy downhill mountain bikes (Whistler mtb park). I typically carry 1 bike, whether road or mtb, but have carried up to 4. Here's some of my experience that may be helpful to others looking at the One Up. They sell both a single and a double (each in normal and heavy duty), and then single bike attachments. You can put up to 2 attachments on the rack. What I found is that the single works great with any type of bike even a heavy DH bike. If you want to carry three mountain bikes, then I recommend the 2 place rack + 1 add-on rather than the 1 place + 2 add ons. I found that with 3 mtb's on a 1 place + 2 add-ons swayed (roll and pitch) while driving on bumpy forest roads. I called One Up and they said it was safe, but it made me nervous. 3 road bikes, not a problem with 1 place + 2 add-on, road bikes are not that heavy, but with 3 mtb's, the 2 place + 1 add-on is more comfortable. And for 4 bikes, you need the 2 place + 2 add ons. I started with the 1 place with a couple add-ons, but also got the 2 place. I use the 1 place the most, probably 90% of the time, but I use the 2 place when I carry 3 or more bikes now. If I had only the 1 place, I'd feel comfortable with 3 lighter bikes but not 3 mtb's.

Almost all my mtb friends are using the One Up now. If you look at the parking lots at the trail heads here, you'll see they are very popular.

When I have the 1 place mounted and folded up on my Audi, the parking sensors beep like crazy (I turn them off). It sounds like same behavior on the Tesla -- it causes the sensors to beep but otherwise no functional problem.

My kids are 7 and 5 so we are just getting started riding on actual trail riding as a family which is part of why, to start I'm focusing on single or two bike transport. I use a TowWhee right now for some of the bigger climbs to help the kids. I can't wait until the kids can get out for more proper rides.
Nelson looks like it's got some great riding. Might have to try and get up there. I rode Whistler, Squamish, Pemberton last summer and it was incredible.
Mine are 9 and 7 - I still have to help the 7 year old up some climbs, but the 9 year old has been self-sufficient the last 2 seasons on his 24" bike. Never did try the tow thingy, I just walked/jogged behind and pushed them with one hand on their seat and the other pulling/pushing my bike by the stem. Made for a bit of a work-out anyways!

Nelson does have some great riding, but very little is kid (or even intermediate) friendly. The trail rating system is a 1/2 to full step off from other places (e.g. most blues here are black, most blacks are double) and most trails are of the singletrack root and rock variety - super fun technical riding if you like that type! BUT, Castlegar and Rossland, both nearby, have some great newer style trails that are tons of fun and you can find something for everyone pretty much.

(I actually haven't ridden Squamish/Pemby either, so can't compare, but have heard great things. I've ridden Whistler bike park and a decent selection of the valley trails.)