Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best hitch rack for 2021 MYLR to hold my e-bikes and current weight limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prob close to 100 lbs. you don’t need to keep worrying about tongue weight discussion. I’ve put my kx250f on it hanging 3’ off the back using a 120 lb dual mx rack. The bike weighs 250#. There was zero issue. Also jumped my 190 # lard ass on the rack at the same time just to see how far suspension would compress. It didn’t budge. The only thing I would change next time is add a 3” hitch riser to get more clearance at the very back for riding the park roads. Sometimes there’s small logs and bumps you have to clear

Attachments

• F202682E-45F8-48BE-A207-CE11F7086CB9.jpeg
    F202682E-45F8-48BE-A207-CE11F7086CB9.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 11960348-D5A7-42BC-A2C7-0D07D05AE8F6.jpeg
    11960348-D5A7-42BC-A2C7-0D07D05AE8F6.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 183
  • FAB8853A-55D0-42EB-9591-B8A2C61F5A74.jpeg
    FAB8853A-55D0-42EB-9591-B8A2C61F5A74.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Next question: what's your average Wh/mile hit from carrying a bike or two on the hitch rack behind the Y? On my X, it's about 50-70Wh/mile at highway speed.
same. its way higher than i thought. The aero behind the car is very important and putting a bike back there really impacts it. Cant imagine how bad sticking it on the roof would be though. As always, the aero stuff gets far worse over about 40 mph so it would depend on your speeds. That was for my pivot 429 on 1UP. The dirtbike on the super heavy mx dual rack was about the same though, didnt seem to matter weight just aero

I dont get that but Im not expert on trailering. All I tow is mainly a 4x8 harbor freight with bikes and/or kayaks.

This is from etrailer : The vertical load limit is the amount of weight pushing down on the ball. On a regular hitch it's called tongue weight.

All this means is when towing a trailer you want 10-15% of the load on the ball, to stabilize the trailer. Any less and the trailer will start doing the sine wave down the freeway. This 10-15% load is reacted by the mounting bolts which hold the hitch onto the frame of the vehicle.

No differently than a bike rack weight also pulling down on those same mounting bolts. Maybe for the case of bike rack install they are adding in the distance from the receiver hitch, and assuming you could load up a triple bike rack or something 10' off the back of the car ?
The comment about the load being reacted by the mounting bolts would tell me that this is the weak link in the system. Would it be possible to increase the diameter of the bolts, utilize a stronger bolt effectively, thus helping with the vertical load limit?
No expert here..

same. its way higher than i thought. The aero behind the car is very important and putting a bike back there really impacts it. Cant imagine how bad sticking it on the roof would be though. As always, the aero stuff gets far worse over about 40 mph so it would depend on your speeds. That was for my pivot 429 on 1UP. The dirtbike on the super heavy mx dual rack was about the same though, didnt seem to matter weight just aero
I don't know if it would be worse on the roof, since bikes would be in an "aero" position. Hitch racks mounted bikes are like a parachute.

• Funny
Reactions: mT3Silvia
Finally got to test the Kuat NV with my 50lb Trek Rail and wife's 37lb turbo levo sl over the weekend. Looked pretty stable, I'm happy with it.

I was doing this on my model 3 but the ground clearance was terrible and it definitely bounced a lot more (and stuck out further)

Have any of you used the Yakima Exo system?

SwingBase 68.5 lbs
GearLocker 28 lbs
TopShelf 33.5 lbs
DoubleUp bike rack 37 lbs
This is 166 lbs before anything has been put on/in them!!

Are the cars on their website (Subarus, rav4s, Fords, etc.) equipped with better hitches than we can get on our MYs?