Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First time buying a Tesla (model 3 - Long range) which arrives next month.

I am looking for a home charger (wall connector) and whilst I am aware of the Tesla Gen 3, I've also been told by another Tesla owner that they recommend the EO systems.

Any advice on which route to go down would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi all,

First time buying a Tesla (model 3 - Long range) which arrives next month.

I am looking for a home charger (wall connector) and whilst I am aware of the Tesla Gen 3, I've also been told by another Tesla owner that they recommend the EO systems.

Any advice on which route to go down would be appreciated.

Thank you

The answer in the US is "Either the mobile connector that comes with the car, or the Tesla wall connector are the most effective solutions". There are other wall connectors that fit some requirement or other one might have ( compatibility with another brand for example).

Where you are, I am not sure of the answer. I suggest you ask the question in the subforum here dedicated to the UK and Ireland:

Upvote 0
Bought the wall charger Gen3...hooked it up to a 50amp circuit, ran it through the Garage attic to the other side of the garage...connected to the Wall charger Via WiFi and changed the circuit breaker to 50amps instead of the factory defaulted 60amp breaker and presto....took 1 hour....very simple to hook up. But hooking up to the WiFi and changing the breaker value if you've installed anything other than a 60amp breaker is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Honestly...I used the wall charger because it's less crap all over the garage floor, less connections I have to make inline to get the car to charge, and because it looks sexy

Reactions: Soap and rpiotro
Upvote 0
I've been using the mobile connector which was included with my car for 3 years and it works fine.
Hi, I'm another clueless future LR Model 3 owner based on PA. My electrician gave me an estimate to install 50amp 240V dedicated circuit in my garage. (Here comes the clueless part so my apologies...) Do I still need to buy an EV cord to connect it to the car? I've noticed there are different styles of EV charging stations for sale on Amazon, so does this mean I need to both get the electrician's work done and buy an EV charging cord / station? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'll assume that your electrician proposed installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Here's a document from Tesla which explains it:

Here's the Tesla Store page for the mobile connector adapters:

P.S. Your new car should already come with a Tesla Mobile Connector:

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Hi, I'm another clueless future LR Model 3 owner based on PA. My electrician gave me an estimate to install 50amp 240V dedicated circuit in my garage. (Here comes the clueless part so my apologies...) Do I still need to buy an EV cord to connect it to the car? I've noticed there are different styles of EV charging stations for sale on Amazon, so does this mean I need to both get the electrician's work done and buy an EV charging cord / station? Thanks!

Hi,

As @RayK said, if you go with the mobile connector that comes with the car, all you will need is the appropriate adapter for your existing mobile connector.

On a 50amp circuit in the US, your electrician is likely to install either a 14-50 or a 6-50. It would likely be 14-50 unless you specifically asked for 6-50, although either will charge your car just fine.

You would just need to buy the appropriate adapter from tesla. You could get a bundle of adapters, or just the one you needed

In the above case, if your electrician installs a 14-50, you would get the 14-50 adapter for your existing mobile connector (that comes with the car). It cost $45.

Upvote 0
It also depends on whether you plan on parking your car outdoors or in a garage. I have 2 hardwired chargers on a 60 A breaker that allows my cars to get the 11.5 kW charge. One of them in the garage and the other one is mounted outside

If you plan on parking inside of a garage, the Tesla Gen 2 Wall Charger is the way to go. If you plan on parking outside, especially in cold climate, the Tesla charger is hot garbage. In that case, I would recommend the ChargePoint Home Flex EV charger. The cable does not get as stiff as the Tesla in the cold climate and it actually has a useable wifi UI. integration with full UI.

Upvote 0
This is my solution. NEMA 14-50 outlet that cost me less than $30 in parts, and less than an hour to install. I get 30 MPH charge with my mobile connector that stays attached. Fits all my needs. Your mileage may vary, but I’ve never, even once, come across a situation where I needed a mobile connector during my travels. Superchargers and destination chargers tend to have their own connector attached.

Either the $500 Tesla charger or this solution will charge the car overnight. The Tesla charger is faster, yes. But for me if one finishes at 3:30 in the AM and the other at 5:45, it doesn’t matter because I’m still asleep.

Attachments

• 738F56B7-0BC0-4E6A-91F1-AB5DA81EAED8.jpeg
    738F56B7-0BC0-4E6A-91F1-AB5DA81EAED8.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: mark2k and rpiotro
Upvote 0
Be sure to ask your electrician to put the NEMA 14-50 in right side UP. ;)🙃
Great tip, I'm getting mine installed this week. I debated about the wall charger but decided to go with the 240v 50 amp and the NEMA 14-50, we only have one car and that should give me all I need overnight. Was able to pick up the NEMA 14-50 at the dealership so I have it on hand ready to go when the electricians install it.

Upvote 0
I don't see why you would want a NEMA 14-50 rather than hardwiring in a Tesla Wall Connector. You can use a 60A line when you hardwire the EVSE in which gives you a 48A charge rate. It's penny wise and pound foolish to take the 14-50 approach. The TWC is only $500, that's half the price of the paint on a Tesla. Most of your cost is for the electrician to run the line and that's the same either way. An EVSE is going to be there for many many years, you'll never have a reason to disconnect it. A permanently installed EVSE with the right flavor connector maximizes convenience and that's one of the best benefits of owning an electric car. I have two EVSEs, a ClipperCreek J1772 which I bought when I got a Volt and a Gen 2 Tesla which I had installed when I got the Model 3. I put in the TWC connector because having to use the adapter is inconvenient. The ClipperCreek is sitting idle at the moment but that's fine, I have an Aptera on order and when I get that it will be used again. I see no reason that a good EVSE and can't last for 10-20 years so it will be used for multiple generations of cars.

Upvote 0