Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger - Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First time buying a Tesla (model 3 - Long range) which arrives next month.

I am looking for a home charger (wall connector) and whilst I am aware of the Tesla Gen 3, I've also been told by another Tesla owner that they recommend the EO systems.

Any advice on which route to go down would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi, I'm another clueless future LR Model 3 owner based on PA. My electrician gave me an estimate to install 50amp 240V dedicated circuit in my garage. (Here comes the clueless part so my apologies...) Do I still need to buy an EV cord to connect it to the car? I've noticed there are different styles of EV charging stations for sale on Amazon, so does this mean I need to both get the electrician's work done and buy an EV charging cord / station? Thanks!
For all, insist on a Hubbell industrial type 14-50 outlet. They have < > shaped wire clamps that insure a more robust contact. These connectors and wires get pretty warm. The Hubbells are several times more expensive.

Upvote 0
I don't see why you would want a NEMA 14-50 rather than hardwiring in a Tesla Wall Connector. You can use a 60A line when you hardwire the EVSE in which gives you a 48A charge rate. It's penny wise and pound foolish to take the 14-50 approach. The TWC is only $500, that's half the price of the paint on a Tesla. Most of your cost is for the electrician to run the line and that's the same either way. An EVSE is going to be there for many many years, you'll never have a reason to disconnect it. A permanently installed EVSE with the right flavor connector maximizes convenience and that's one of the best benefits of owning an electric car. I have two EVSEs, a ClipperCreek J1772 which I bought when I got a Volt and a Gen 2 Tesla which I had installed when I got the Model 3. I put in the TWC connector because having to use the adapter is inconvenient. The ClipperCreek is sitting idle at the moment but that's fine, I have an Aptera on order and when I get that it will be used again. I see no reason that a good EVSE and can't last for 10-20 years so it will be used for multiple generations of cars.
For me it's a question of 44 MPH vs 30 MPH at pretty much half the cost. TWC is $500 and the installation for those of us without the proper wiring is at least another $500. For a single vehicle that doesn't need more than one full charge per day the NEMA 14-50 is more than enough.

Reactions: ODWms
Upvote 0
Off topic, but around these parts (Arkansas) right side up means the grounding terminal on 120v 15a plugs is on the TOP. Strangest thing. I've had 2 houses, both done that way. My Tesla mobile connector had to be mounted above the plug. YMMV.
That's my point. A lot of places" say" the grounding circuit is up, but anyone from the real world "wants" it down. My electrician had no trouble putting the grounding plug down...in both houses where I had a 14-50 installed for charging. Just say'in. (BTW, don't know what the code says.)

Upvote 0
In my experience here in CA, most commercial/business outlet installations have the 5-15 with the ground pin up, whereas residential outlets always seem to have the ground pin down. That goes in hand with all of the 45 degree angled plugs on extension cords or those that have the cord exiting the plug down (or up for those "upside-down" outlets).

Upvote 0
For me it's a question of 44 MPH vs 30 MPH at pretty much half the cost. TWC is $500 and the installation for those of us without the proper wiring is at least another $500. For a single vehicle that doesn't need more than one full charge per day the NEMA 14-50 is more than enough.

For me, it's having an easily swapped / replaced EVSE. We have a 40a Grizzl-E on a 50a circuit using an N6-50 receptacle - we use it on our Tesla and our Jeep, so it's a J1772 connector, works perfect with the supplied adapter, we get 36 miles/hour on the Tesla.

If it was to crap out, I have an N6-50 adapter for the TMC, so I'd immediately have a 30 mile/hour backup (the Jeep is a PHEV so not nearly as critical, but it can run off the Jeep supplied 120v EVSE). I could send the Grizzl-E back for warranty repair, or buy a replacement product and be back up and running at the full 40a in 2-days, with no scheduling an electrician, no additional cost.

Upvote 0
To each their own. I personally would never go on a trip without the mobile charger in the trunk. Here is a picture from our first family road trip in the Tesla. We went to a fairly rural area in southern Kentucky. The marina had a destination charger - we called ahead and confirmed it was operational. When we arrived we didn't have enough charge to get back to the nearest super charger. It was New Year's Eve and cold, so that affected range even more. The destination charger didn't work. I spent an hour on the phone with SemaConnect and eventually they told me it was faulty and they would send someone to fix it in the next few weeks.

Thankfully, I had my mobile connector - and there was a 110v plug right there by the charger. It sat charging for a few days during our visit and then I was able to drive to a super charger on the way home.

IMG_7065.JPG

Upvote 0
It is cheaper to install 14-50 and buy plug adapter and you are done, right? If you want/need to keep your mobile charger with you, then one can install instead or add on EVSE from Tesla. Especially if your main panel has enough amps, run 100amps to EVSE. I actually have both at home as i was planning on getting second Tesla in the household and had a free EVSE from Tesla due to referral. Now i just alternate between two when charging, to make sure both are working.

14-50 does offer portability if you have other cars/friends who visit that need a charge, pop off and they can plug in with their cords. When wall mounted is just for Tesla since its Tesla specific plug (here in USA).

I would not consider buying any 3rd party, no real cost saving.

Upvote 0
I would not consider buying any 3rd party, no real cost saving.
I posted a comment earlier about environmental applicability. Since the poster is in the UK, cold weather is a considerable factor on where that charger will be installed.

I have the Tesla GEN 2 Wall Charger and the ChargePoint Home Flex both hardwired. The Tesla charger fairs very poorly in cold climate. Getting a 3rd party charger does offer more flexibility down the road. I would guess that Tesla owners may want another EV in the future and can use a 3rd party charger with the free plug adapter that comes with Tesla portable charger. I paid a couple extra hundred bucks for the Home Flex, but the extra cost has paid off in what it has been able to provide in both wifi features and durability in inclimate weather.

Upvote 0
I posted a comment earlier about environmental applicability. Since the poster is in the UK, cold weather is a considerable factor on where that charger will be installed.

I have the Tesla GEN 2 Wall Charger and the ChargePoint Home Flex both hardwired. The Tesla charger fairs very poorly in cold climate. Getting a 3rd party charger does offer more flexibility down the road. I would guess that Tesla owners may want another EV in the future and can use a 3rd party charger with the free plug adapter that comes with Tesla portable charger. I paid a couple extra hundred bucks for the Home Flex, but the extra cost has paid off in what it has been able to provide in both wifi features and durability in inclimate weather.
How does Tesla charger fair poorly? slow to charge? Looking at Tesla website, range is fairly wide, but in some places during cold winters or hot summers can be outside it i guess. I could find that ino from ChargePoint
CAUTION: Do not operate the Wall Connector in temperatures outside its operating range of -30˚ C to 50˚ C (-22˚ F to 122˚ F). CAUTION: Wall Connector

Also Charge Point is not available now? in either configs.

Upvote 0
How does Tesla charger fair poorly? slow to charge? Looking at Tesla website, range is fairly wide, but in some places during cold winters or hot summers can be outside it i guess. I could find that ino from ChargePoint
CAUTION: Do not operate the Wall Connector in temperatures outside its operating range of -30˚ C to 50˚ C (-22˚ F to 122˚ F). CAUTION: Wall Connector

Also Charge Point is not available now? in either configs.
If you did live in a place that drops below -22F and you don't have a heated garage then you might want to consider a Grizzl-E Extreme Edition. Grizzl-E is a Canadian company and their EVSEs are designed for very cold weather. In a State of Charge review of their charger it was mentioned that they offer a Tesla Compatible holster. The problem with J1772 EVSEs is that the holster that comes with them wont hold a cable with the Tesla adapter on it, that's why I installed a Tesla Wall Connector even though I had a ClipperCreek J1772 EVSE. I didn't want to constantly take off and put on the adapter. However Grizzl-E has thought of this and they have a second holster that will hold the cable with the adapter attached. I'd check with them to see if it's standard or if you have to order it separately.

Reactions: boriszima
Upvote 0