Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my EO charger this week. Tidy job. Love how subtle it is, which was important to us as it's visible out front.

Attachments

• IMG-20190916-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20190916-WA0000.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 114
After a couple of weeks using the 3 pin, I've finally had my Rolec installed. I'm happy with the look and seems to be charging as I'd expect as well :)

View attachment 461090 View attachment 461091 View attachment 461092
Oh snap! Except mine isn't smart.

Huge recommendation for you, if not already planned. Use the holster for the gun when not in use.

I had my gun hanging like your pic, with the rubber cover on, and admittedly we've had you know 8 days of rain, but... When I went to charge last night the rubber cover was completely full of water!! It meant water had gone into all the pins. I hung it out to dry and got the hair dryer on it today, and all fine.

I don't want my gun to stick out on to my pathway, so am going to add a second holster to another part of the wall.

Edit - one question, did you not need an earth rod?

Last edited:
I had my gun hanging like your pic, with the rubber cover on, and admittedly we've had you know 8 days of rain, but... When I went to charge last night the rubber cover was completely full of water!! It meant water had gone into all the pins. I hung it out to dry and got the hair dryer on it today, and all fine.

Throw the rubber cover away and keep on hanging and you will also be fine.

Those rubber covers are useful on detachable cables which may be stored in the boot/cupboard/toolbag and so at risk of getting dust in them; however for outdoor cables they are completely useless - as you've discovered.

The connectors are not generally built to be completely waterproof, instead they have drain holes for any water that does enter to drain out. So if you then put a watertight cover on the end hanging downwards it will fill up. Leave it open to the air so rain can drain out as designed and it will be OK.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Anybody come up with a solution to this - protecting the unused supercharge connectors when home charging - especially when it's pouring with rain. I bought a cheap £4 plastic 3D printed moulding but when in use the home charging plug does not then fit properly. Any ideas? The Audi e-tron has something that looks like it might work. Anyone tried?

thumbnail_IMG_0223[1].jpg

Anybody come up with a solution to this - protecting the unused supercharge connectors when home charging - especially when it's pouring with rain. I bought a cheap £4 plastic 3D printed moulding but when in use the home charging plug does not then fit properly. Any ideas? The Audi e-tron has something that looks like it might work. Anyone tried?

View attachment 461318

The Tesla chap who did the collection presentation when I picked up my Model 3 on Sunday said that the ports were waterproof. And that there is nothing to worry about with them being uncovered when using a type 2 cable (as when home charging) in the rain.

Important to me living in sunny Wales :)

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Keeper and Roy W.

View attachment 461318
I wondered about this too. Both the old Leaf and the Kona had protective covers under the charge port flap, so only the connector you were using at the time was exposed.

The Put-My-Trust-In-Tesla part of me hopes that it’s designed for foul weather, and the DC pin area has drainage etc. Perhaps @arg knows?

If u were being offered Rolec or PodPoint by the same installer at the same price what would u go for ?

Installers view is that all chargers are much the same but the podpoint has a few extra excellent additions like a fuse saver, which means that if the house supply demand goes up for example it automatically ramps the charger down etc .

Rolec does look easier on the eye tho I think

I know I've just added this to another topic, but I got the Rolec installed last week. Install was done quickly (less than an hour), and they demo'd it for me.

I didn't want the standard colour (even though it's on the side of the house/down the drive) so paid £30 extra to change the base and insert colours.

£365 Standard install
£65 Earth spike
£30 Colour choice

48837724942_1d6fcf57a3_z.jpg

And here are the available colour choices:

48854065516_e31414c707_b.jpg

My Rolec was meant to be installed today, after rescheduling the installation twice with the installers previously. I called them at 9 after they were meant to arrive at 8, told me the installer was sick today and they'd get back to me with a new installation date.

After 4 phone calls, the best they can do is in 4 weeks time, looking for alternatives if anyone knows of good Rolec installers in the Cambridgeshire area?