Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home electricity supplier/tarriff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I've got my MS and my home charger installed, I've realised that we're currently on a variable tariff for our electricity (Tariff rate: 13.301p) and I suspect I could do a lot better than this given that I will now be charging a car up overnight!

Can anyone recommend a good tariff/supplier that provides cheap electricity overnight - I think this used to be called Economy 7.

Thanks,
Dom.

I swapped to economy 7 during this summer when I knew my present home energy deal was expiring.

I think I found a sweet spot of price which has since firmed up. Using a cash-back site (My Referral Link is TopCashback.co.uk: The UK’s #1 Cashback & Vouchers Site ) I them used a comparison company and found the best economy 7 deal for my area.

Last May/ June it was 26p per day plus daytime 10.8p per kWh and night 3.94p. Plus tax. So 32p per hour when charging the car overnight feels good.

That's with Sainsbury's Energy backed by British Gas.

But those offers change all the time and that deal has now gone, plus they are regional. Watch the standing day charge as that has some effect - I would guess EV owners esp Tesla benefit from higher standing charge and lower unit figures as we must use more than most.

Cheers,

Tony

Reactions: Mark77a and Aviator
I have stuck with Ovo, due to their 100% renewables tariff.

Costs a little more but figured I was saving so much in fuel costs over runnning an ICE that I would put a little more back in to claim genuine CO2 free running.

Knocks the doubters in the pub on the head too when they get excited about electricity generation CO2
(which in the UK it must be said is a relatively poor 0.35Kg/KWH)

I'm currently with Good energy with the Economy 7 tariff. However, I am considering changing to Ecotricity because you then still get free charging on their EV network. I know I can get cheaper tariffs than both of these, but they are both 100% renewables.

I took delivery of my Model S on November 7th and was going down the economy 7 route until I stumbled across Green Star Energy's Unlimited tarriff. Basically they take your previous years usage and work out a fixed monthly price. As an example, last year we used 5000kw/h so our price is £60 p/month. I suspect with the car we will probably triple or quadruple our usage but it's still £60/month. I will probably have to go onto eco 7 next year as I'll never get a rate as low as this again, but for new EV users this is probably unbeatable. And they supposedly source 98% of their energy from renewable last year.

If anybody is interested I suggest you check out their site (just Google Green Star) and see what price they give you. Also, there is a referral program where you get a £20 shopping voucher, so if you are interested in that I can refer you (just need an email address and name).

I took delivery of my Model S on November 7th and was going down the economy 7 route until I stumbled across Green Star Energy's Unlimited tarriff. Basically they take your previous years usage and work out a fixed monthly price. As an example, last year we used 5000kw/h so our price is £60 p/month. I suspect with the car we will probably triple or quadruple our usage but it's still £60/month. I will probably have to go onto eco 7 next year as I'll never get a rate as low as this again, but for new EV users this is probably unbeatable. And they supposedly source 98% of their energy from renewable last year.

If anybody is interested I suggest you check out their site (just Google Green Star) and see what price they give you. Also, there is a referral program where you get a £20 shopping voucher, so if you are interested in that I can refer you (just need an email address and name).

Yes that is a great tariff in your situation. I suspect they may throw you off it (they're sort of entitled to), but you only have to submit a meter reading every 6 months so don't rush to do that before you have to.

I would have concerns about the long term viability of this operation with that business model, especially as wholesale commodity prices are rising. But that's their problem not yours, at least for the time being.

Sometimes things can be too good to be true (this isn't Green Star, but another supplier of cheap deals):

GB Energy Supply ceases trading after wholesale price rises - BBC News

This will be the start of the demise of many smaller newer energy firms that haven't managed their purchase portfolio correctly. The bigger operators know the importance of buying energy forward contracts to match their customers expected demand.

While prices on the turn, those without the proper risk management will quickly get caught out and run out of cash.

There are some restrictions, so don't jump just yet ...

So is it really unlimited?

Green Star Energy says it's an "unlimited" tariff, meaning you can use as much energy as you like while still paying the same price.

However in reality, if your usage creeps above or below its electricity and gas limits, it says it will contact you and ask you to amend your usage. If you don't, it says it will consider moving you onto its likely more expensive standard variable tariff.

If you fail to warn Green Star Energy about significant changes to your energy usage within seven days of them occurring, you may also face being transferred onto its standard tariff. It gives examples of this as being a change in the number of people living in your home or if you install a swimming pool.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...gas-and-electricity-tariff-but-is-it-any-good