Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best insurance for Tesla Model S 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been GEICO for years and their Tesla rates in Florida are double from some of the other quotes I've gotten. Leaning towards Esurance (Allstate) or maybe Progressive. Anyone have a good Florida recommendation I'm all ears. Florida is definitely the 'rear end with no insurance coverage' capital of the U.S. as Steve says.

I have Progressive. My previous Tesla was totaled last year in an at fault accident and I found the claim experience easy and fair, with great customer service all around. My rates since the accident went up modestly. Overall very happy with Progressive.

I'm also with Progressive. Mainly because they were at least 25% below the next lowest offer for my situation (married, 3 cars, clean records, no accidents). I've shopped them all... It blows my mind how different every carrier is with seemingly similar situations in different areas.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkKW
I have USAA. I pay over 2100 every 6 months for our Model X and Model 3. I just priced progressive and they’re quoting me 1000 for 6 months.

I love USAA and have been a member for 22 years. They use to be far and away the cheapest auto insurance around. I love their service but I don’t think I love it enough to pay more than double the cost of progressive.

Actually just remembered, the progressive quote included my 2004 BMW X5. Usaa total would be over 2500 for all 3 cars.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Yelp, I just got an email from Geico that my insurance is going up with the generic nonsense reasons. I logged in and it's going up around $300 a year.

I emailed Jennifer Silva to see if she can find me a better rate, waiting for a response. I priced out Progeressive and they quoted me what I was paying before from Geico. Might switch if Jennifer cannot beat that price.

Our Liberty Mutual insurance for our 2014 Tesla S just skyrocketed to over $3000 per year, for a total of over $4000 per year for our Tesla and a Ford Escape.

We tend to have to play musical insurance companies pretty much every year between the house and our 2 cars. We've had insurance go up 50% or more from different companies despite never having any claims.

Just did a quote with Progressive and same coverage is coming in at $1000 per year for both cars.

Really irritating having to do this every single year. And it's not just because of the Tesla, sometimes it's the house insurance that magically skyrockets for no apparent reason.

Did I mention that I hate insurance companies? My whole life long they have been trying to screw me over in one way or another, even though I have never ever had a claim. I've had insurance companies jack up my rates by 100+% without notice. I've had an insurance company cancel my insurance once because I was unemployed. I had money to pay, they just wanted to kick me while I was down. I've worked for one before, and they did questionable things like charging people who live in trailer homes more for their car insurance. It's borderline racketeering.

Last edited:
I've been getting quotes for my MS 75D due in September, and GEICO, my current carrier, is by far, the lowest rate. My annual premium will be under $1700/year for the added vehicle. I've been getting almost double that rate from Progressive and Allstate. Erie doesn't write in Florida.

Reactions: MarkKW
Home and auto insurance companies keep trying to sneak up the rates by thousands per year, much like credit card companies and their rates (why I no longer use credit cards). It takes a good half to full day to do all the quotes and switch companies, but using this year as an example, our insurance was going to be over $8000 for home and 2 cars (significantly increased from previous year), and switching brought it back by close to $4000. That's a ton of after tax dollars.

Claims they have incurred due to me over the 25 years of my adult life so far? $0