Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Insurance Rates for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I'm a Canadian citizen returning to Toronto after 4 years of living in SF.

My Model 3 is making the move with me and I'm curios on folks thoughts on the best insurance company in Canada for Tesla's? I got a few quotes that seemed pretty high.

They are all pretty high in the GTA. If you have any type of affiliation you may be able secure some lower rates via TD Meloche Monnex or similar group plans. There are also other factors - location, age, how long you have been licensed for...etc.

It's like an endless debate. Good luck....

Reactions: BC1Auto
RBC Insurance (I think they use Aviva) quoted me like $140/mo for the Model 3 SRP, but $300 for the LR. The guy on the phone didn't even seem to know why the jump was so big though they did seem to be the lowest of the ones I did call, though I didn't call many.

Hey folks, I'm a Canadian citizen returning to Toronto after 4 years of living in SF.

My Model 3 is making the move with me and I'm curios on folks thoughts on the best insurance company in Canada for Tesla's? I got a few quotes that seemed pretty high.

Have you figured out the import stuff? I don't think we've heard of any success stories here yet. S3X are finally on the MTO's admissible list, but last time I checked Tesla hasn't rolled out the service program for US imports yet. I ended up having to sell mine cause I couldn't import it, but hopefully you have better luck.

Have you figured out the import stuff? I don't think we've heard of any success stories here yet. S3X are finally on the MTO's admissible list, but last time I checked Tesla hasn't rolled out the service program for US imports yet. I ended up having to sell mine cause I couldn't import it, but hopefully you have better luck.

What do you mean by service program?

I'm spoken to a number of folks and importing the car seems to be doable. I have hired a brokerage who specializes in car import / export and they will be taking care of it all, along with shipping the car.

I called Tesla Oakville as well and asked them. They also said it was ok and he had imported one before. Mentioned there was no real difference in software between the US and Canada versions and just that I may just need to come for them to replace the 4G/LTE chip to that of a Canadian provider instead of AT&T.

So fingers crossed.

Hilariously - when I spoke to a Tesla service store employee in Burlingame, just south of SF he told me I don't want to import the car to Canada because the charging ports are different and I wouldn't be able to use the superchargers there.

What do you mean by service program?

I'm spoken to a number of folks and importing the car seems to be doable. I have hired a brokerage who specializes in car import / export and they will be taking care of it all, along with shipping the car.

I called Tesla Oakville as well and asked them. They also said it was ok and he had imported one before. Mentioned there was no real difference in software between the US and Canada versions and just that I may just need to come for them to replace the 4G/LTE chip to that of a Canadian provider instead of AT&T.

So fingers crossed.

Hilariously - when I spoke to a Tesla service store employee in Burlingame, just south of SF he told me I don't want to import the car to Canada because the charging ports are different and I wouldn't be able to use the superchargers there.
There are other threads about various attempts to import US Tesla cars to Canada with no success story, so yours is certainly encouraging.
The issue has always been with Tesla not playing ball with the "modifications" necessary, not the import/export part. Anyways, glad that it's working out for you.
As with insurance prices, that's your first welcome back to Canada :) I've never paid more than $100/month before moving to Canada, lol...

There are other threads about various attempts to import US Tesla cars to Canada with no success story, so yours is certainly encouraging.
The issue has always been with Tesla not playing ball with the "modifications" necessary, not the import/export part. Anyways, glad that it's working out for you.
As with insurance prices, that's your first welcome back to Canada :) I've never paid more than $100/month before moving to Canada, lol...

Got it, from what I have read and understood the Model 3 doesn't actually need any modifications. The S and the X do (for things like not having the red belt buckle button) . It seems like Tesla built the 3 (and likely the Y) to just be standardized for both countries.
I'm hoping that's the case.

Got it, from what I have read and understood the Model 3 doesn't actually need any modifications. The S and the X do (for things like not having the red belt buckle button) . It seems like Tesla built the 3 (and likely the Y) to just be standardized for both countries.
I'm hoping that's the case.
Yea, it's likely to be really minor things. I doubt the US version has stickers in French though. Plus the LTE chip you mentioned. You are gonna have to go into the SC to get those done.