Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best interest rate via Tesla financing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got approved for 1.99 through penfed, but did not click the select offer button and only took a screen shot. Autofinance team from Tesla said they needed the full letter with terms. I have a few questions.

1) If I click select through penfed, would I be obligated to take their loan?

2) If I can get Tesla to rate match it, can I cancel the loan from Penfed?

3) How did you guys get the PDF from penfed? I saw a hard inquiry alert from my credit report from penfed already.

4) If I reapply, will my credit report show another inquiry?
If you applied for several kinds of loans it would likely have a negative affect on your credit rating, but repeated inquires for the same kind of loan shouldn't affect your credit - you are expected to shop for your loan, but you're not obligate to accept the offer.

On the DCU page, the Account page does not show the level.
Click on the "Account Manager" (Not Accounts) tab then "Account Manager Home", one of the cards will tell you the Checking benefits level.
This is what it says on my account:

1623072624470.png

I had to call DCU and discuss with them. I wanted to put a down payment down, but the loan wasn't approved because the amount I requested differed from Tesla's MVPA document since I told Tesla I was paying "cash" and the total amount for the car was listed with no down payment.

So DCU updated my loan application and increased the amount to cover the full cost of the car. I was then approved for the 1.24% @ 65 months. She said I will receive a document with the terms and agreements later today to sign via DocuSign. I intend to use this document to first ask Tesla to rate match for 72 months. And I'll take it from there.

Reactions: VikH
I had to call DCU and discuss with them. I wanted to put a down payment down, but the loan wasn't approved because the amount I requested differed from Tesla's MVPA document since I told Tesla I was paying "cash" and the total amount for the car was listed with no down payment.

So DCU updated my loan application and increased the amount to cover the full cost of the car. I was then approved for the 1.24% @ 65 months. She said I will receive a document with the terms and agreements later today to sign via DocuSign. I intend to use this document to first ask Tesla to rate match for 72 months. And I'll take it from there.

Let us know how it goes, what I have heard is that, the banks behind Tesla wouldn't match that low rate.

Damn, nice. Now I want to see if DCU will offer me the 1.24% rate if I switched the term to 65 months. I applied for 72 and they offered 2.99% (lol).

I currently have Tesla ratematched to 1.99%.
I had seen on the forums that someone in the past had applied for DCU 65 months and Tesla matched it for 72 months. That's why I went that route on the onset since I was confident it was possible. I would have done what you did not knowing otherwise. Yes, I'd recommend calling DCU and asking to change the terms so you can get the lower rate for 72 months with Tesla.

During order placement, I selected option to pay by Cash, My idea is to get loan from DCU.
If I want to match DCU 1.25 rate with Tesla, what I have to do? I dont have VIN or MVPA in tesla account, so should I wait, or start the process of applying loans now?
please suggest.

During order placement, I selected option to pay by Cash, My idea is to get loan from DCU.
If I want to match DCU 1.25 rate with Tesla, what I have to do? I dont have VIN or MVPA in tesla account, so should I wait, or start the process of applying loans now?
please suggest.
I also started out with Tesla as paying by Cash. I then asked my SA to change to financing after I had a VIN. Once you have the VIN, you will be able to download a MVPA. Do not start the DCU loan application until you have a MVPA.

I actually signed up for a DCU checking/savings account a couple months ago anticipating I was going to apply for the car loan with them. This way, it made the auto application quicker. I believe you need to be a DCU member to apply for a loan and qualify for the additional 0.5% rate discount. You can sign up to be a DCU member and auto loan app at the same time, it just may take longer to complete (a few days vs. 0-1 days).

Since you are on the east coast, don't stress out about timing. Delivery will be about 2 weeks after a VIN is assigned. Giving you plenty of time to obtain financing, rate matching, and trade-in. If you live in California, then delivery can be pretty quick after VIN assignment.

I was on vacation when I received a VIN on June 2nd and 6 days later I have completed all of the needed steps with over a week to spare before delivery later next week.

• Helpful
Reactions: k333
I also started out with Tesla as paying by Cash. I then asked my SA to change to financing after I had a VIN. Once you have the VIN, you will be able to download a MVPA. Do not start the DCU loan application until you have a MVPA.

I actually signed up for a DCU checking/savings account a couple months ago anticipating I was going to apply for the car loan with them. This way, it made the auto application quicker. I believe you need to be a DCU member to apply for a loan and qualify for the additional 0.5% rate discount. You can sign up to be a DCU member and auto loan app at the same time, it just may take longer to complete (a few days vs. 0-1 days).

Since you are on the east coast, don't stress out about timing. Delivery will be about 2 weeks after a VIN is assigned. Giving you plenty of time to obtain financing, rate matching, and trade-in. If you live in California, then delivery can be pretty quick after VIN assignment.

I was on vacation when I received a VIN on June 2nd and 6 days later I have completed all of the needed steps with over a week to spare before delivery later next week.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I am a DCU member from last 10+ years, so that's taken care of.
So I will wait for the PIN, and then I will apply for DCU and tesla loan simultaneously.
Thanks once again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.