Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best internet connection type for PW's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasnt trying to be a smartaXX, but what you mentioned above is the reason why many choose to use wired ethernet over wifi (or cellular). Additionally, some have found that the wifi connection from the TEG is spotty. Some of this could be location of the TEG vs the wifi router, etc.

Some of this could be because at least TEG Version 1 seems to not have a "super" wifi chip / antenna in it, as some people have reported that the TEG has spotty connection in the same spot a phone or something has better wifi. If its inconvenient to run eithernet, then wifi can work, and if neither of those work, then the device still works over cellular if it has connection in your area.

I just wanted to get from the experts here what the options on. I am amazed by coming to sites like these I can end up knowing more
than my installers know. It will be a lot of work to hard wire, but, want to do it right.

Thanks for the inputs. As an engineer, I always ask the 7 why's on anything. :)

I just had a PW installed and the electrician told me that Tesla requires 3 communication types: hardwired, WiFi and the provided cellular connection.

"Requires" is incorrect. "Supports" is accurate. You may want to point your installer to the Tesla documentation below. While the cell connection can be used permanently best practice is to connect to your local network.

Powerwall Pre-Installation | Tesla Support

Pre-Installation: Internet Access
Powerwall requires an active Internet connection (wired or wireless), which allows you to monitor your Powerwall system with the Tesla app. Identify where your home router is located and have login information available.

While a wired home network is preferred for best performance, if one is not available, Powerwall can use an internal cellular connection to the Internet.

Found this older thread when searching for the question of ethernet vs. wifi connectivity to the GW and PW. It looks like the consensus here is to provide hard-wired ethernet if it is available, so I'm thinking about putting an ethernet switch in some kind of enclosure, mounted on the exterior wall where all the equipment will be, so that I can connect the GW and two PWs. I can install an upstream cable through the crawl space to an access-point/switch about 15 feet away, so that's not too difficult.

Another thread suggested the UniFi USW-Flex-Mini 5-port switch that can be powered by PoE, which would be convenient for my exterior location. Any other suggestions, alternate approaches or considerations I'm overlooking?

Found this older thread when searching for the question of ethernet vs. wifi connectivity to the GW and PW. It looks like the consensus here is to provide hard-wired ethernet if it is available, so I'm thinking about putting an ethernet switch in some kind of enclosure, mounted on the exterior wall where all the equipment will be, so that I can connect the GW and two PWs. I can install an upstream cable through the crawl space to an access-point/switch about 15 feet away, so that's not too difficult.

Another thread suggested the UniFi USW-Flex-Mini 5-port switch that can be powered by PoE, which would be convenient for my exterior location. Any other suggestions, alternate approaches or considerations I'm overlooking?
Only the GW has an Ethernet port (which I use). The PWs don't, and are hard wired to the GW on a multi-drop can bus. You shouldn't need the Ethernet switch.

Reactions: h2ofun

I use multiple switches. Meaning for me, with the way I drove various cat 7 cables throughout my entire house, one went from master switch, 24 port, to one i my garage attic. It drives a number of devices. I then routed a line into my shop. Have another switch here. It drives both of my two GW's. Only way to go hardwired! No wifi flacky stuff

Reactions: jboy210