TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Best Issue Escalation Path?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by grant0211, Mar 22, 2019.

1. grant0211

grant0211 New Member

What have M3 owners found most effective in escalation an issue that your local service center declines?

I’ve emailed Customer Service, Musk’s Office, [email protected], and also [email protected] - to no avail. In addition to Tweeting Musk, Tesla and Support.

My windshield (at 10 days old when I noticed it fully) has 100’s of small speck this shimmer is direct sunlight. The service center’s telling me I cause the “chips” - in just 10 days! Crazy. Now, I’ve looked at the roof glass and it has the same speckles. 1 piece of glass at a time though.

Welcome any advice.

2. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

You can open an issue when you log into your Tesla account and there is an option to request an executive escalation.

However, in this case, the SC is correct, surface pitting of glass from driving is completely normal and 100% of automotive glass that is subjected to wind is effected by it.

Within 60 days of driving my new Model 3 I had two small chips in the windshield that required actual repair and numerous (dozens) of tiny chips.

This is unavoidable and I have observed the same thing on every car I've owned.

One option is to have xpel or similar protective film applied to the windshield which will protect it against some pitting and chipping from normal driving.

3. grant0211

grant0211 New Member

Then they’re using inferior glass. I’ve driven luxury cars my entire life, on highways with trucks kicking up stones. In years of owing those cars, I’ve only has a couple noticeable chips. Not hundreds in 10 days.

Agree to disagree.

• Like x 2
  4. grant0211

grant0211 New Member

Does that look even remotely “normal” or “unavoidable” for 10 days of driving the car?

They only show up in direct sunlight, hence I didn’t notice by their magical Day 3 time period. It’s the same on the roof and back glass.

Perhaps it is damaged. But, it’s more like it came that way. Tesla should do better than let their new customers hang out to dry.

= 0% Retention Rate

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  5. grant0211

grant0211 New Member

Does that look even remotely “normal” or “unavoidable” for 10 days of driving the car?

They only show up in direct sunlight, hence I didn’t notice by their magical Day 3 time period. It’s the same on the roof and back glass.

Perhaps it is damaged. But, it’s more like it came that way. Tesla should do better than let their new customers hang out to dry.

= 0% Retention Rate

6. killertofu

killertofu Member

That is not normal.

7. voip-ninja

Then escalate it within Tesla. If you aren't going to buy another Tesla ever again over this then let them know I guess.

There's a 90+ % chance that Tesla has their glass manufactured by an OEM that supplies glass to other car manufacturers.

I live in CO, pitted windshields even on new cars are completely normal if you drive them on the highway and I've had pitting on my Audis and BMWs a fairly short time after I started driving them.

• Informative x 1
  8. Needler56

Needler56 Member

My first thought was maybe paint overspray, but after looking at the pictures maybe not. Plus the service saw it as well. Have you tried using a razor blade to scrape one of them off to see if it's just rock residue?

9. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Out of curiosity, what does the paint on the front bumper, fenders and frunk/hood look like ? If there are no paint chips, maybe you can make a case it wasn't from driving as the front paint is still like new ?? I would think it might be reasonable to assume it if was caused by driving, more than the windshield would have been affected....Sorry, just grabbing at straws here to help prove your case.

Northern CA has a separate email for concerns. Maybe PA has an equivalent email ?

Is there another SC you can take it to ?

My car came with a crack in the front roof glass and Tesla added it to my service profile about a month later.

• Informative x 1
  10. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

The most effective escalation method is just giving up. I have a four inch scratch on my windshield I didn't notice until after it was at the body shop for three weeks (where they did nothing) so it's not like I can prove it was there all along. Just give up.

• Funny x 1
  11. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

That picture is worthless. All it shows are a bunch of out of focus spots, which could be anything - dirt on the windshield, or whatever. You'll need to document this much better. And be able to prove that this is actual pitting of the glass, and not just some kind of debris you drove through that stuck. I'm not really buying this currently, based on the photo, the only evidence presented so far.

I'd suggest making an appointment with your service center to deal with this. If you haven't already. It's unclear if they've actually seen the car yet. That's your first line of approach, before getting all ballistic. If it's really as bad as you're making it out to be, they should replace all the glass, or the car. Any reputable SC would take care of this properly. I don't know the laws in PA, but here in TN you have 30 days to sort out these kinds of things, or you can get a full refund.

12. Knightshade

Knightshade Banned

The executive escalation option was removed a couple months ago FYI- couple previous threads mentioned it

13. ent3ndu

ent3ndu Member

Looks like water spots. Need a better pic.

14. voip-ninja

The OP posted this in multiple forums and all of the threads are abandoned.

So I imagine that either Tesla replaced the glass or someone taught him how to clean a windshield properly.

• Funny x 1