Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best J1772 adaptor to use with a Tesla Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently installed a Tesla Wall Charger and wondering what is the best J1772 adaptor to buy to use to charge non-Tesla's? Forgive me is I missed it in the search as all of my search basically came up with installing J1772 and then using the Tesla included adaptor or deciding between native Tesla charger or using J1772 with adaptor but nothing with Tesla going to a J1772.

I found one from Lectron and it's selling for about $130. Has anybody used it and can give feedback?

We recently installed a Tesla Wall Charger and wondering what is the best J1772 adaptor to buy to use to charge non-Tesla's? Forgive me is I missed it in the search as all of my search basically came up with installing J1772 and then using the Tesla included adaptor or deciding between native Tesla charger or using J1772 with adaptor but nothing with Tesla going to a J1772.

I found one from Lectron and it's selling for about $130. Has anybody used it and can give feedback?

There’s at least three manufacturers, and each one has multiple versions. The bottom of this page lists three of them: CarCharging.us

Read the specs and figure out which one works for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have 3 Tesla Wall connectors (at 80A) to charge the various Tesla I have/had. I also own a Lucid Air Dream Edition and a BMW Plug in Hybrid which use J1772. I started with a Lectron connector for the BMW, because the BMW can only charge at 16A, so I didn’t need a higher amperage one. When I got the Lucid, I got 2 Tesla Tap Mini (80A) connectors (TeslaTap MINI 80 AMP) - one to leave on the Tesla Wall Charger and one to take along in the car. The mini tap connectors have worked without a hitch. The earlier models had a little bit of difficulty when fitting the Tesla connector into them. Some (maybe one) person on the Lucid forum had a problem with a pin falling out of the Tesla Mini Tap.

I have the Lectron. Very nice unit, very heavy, solid, tight connections. Good push buttons to lock both sides into the adapter.

I have my wall charger set at 40A. I plugged in my friends Ioniq 5 and it just worked. No issues what so ever. (You just have to make sure your Wall Charger is set up too charge non-tesla cars).