Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best J1772 charging unit for guests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Rodolfo Paiz

Fidelius Family Office
Nov 19, 2012
Miami, FL
Hello, everyone!

As noted in subject, I'd like to set up a charging station outside my garage for guests to use. The goal would be to provide reasonable power delivery (as in, 80A would be great but 30A or 40A will also be fine) with the greatest compatibility for makes and models of EV's. This is a guest charger, after all. Due to our home's layout and location, I am not worried about people stealing power, so user or access control might be nice but is totally unnecessary.

What would you recommend? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Clipper Creek CS-100 for longtime reliability

watzilla 80Amp (they were sponsors in TMC Connect 2015)

Emotorwerks
I don't know about Clipper Creek. The few CC public stations I have visited are only about 50% operational. Seem to be flaky internally.
In particular, of the four CC chargers at Squaw Valley. Only two work and no one seems to be responsible for fixing them.

I hate Clipper Creek's website, but I've heard consistently good things about them from people who own/operate them. I've seen some dead ones of various brands (including CC), but all have been commercial installations where I worry more about the company who owns/operates them than the manufacturer.

I'm checking out GE, Leviton, and Clipper Creek so far. If I go with CC, it'll probably be an HCS-40. Most other cars can't take more than that power anyway...

Thanks for everyone's input!

I installed a Clipper Creek HCS-60 in a beach rental home I own. I chose this unit because it served all brands of EVs of which I am aware. I use it for my Tesla with the J1772 adapter of course but make it available for tenants who have EVs at no additional cost.

The unit is solid. Delivers 48 amps --- about 35 - 36 miles of charge per hour.

I installed a Clipper Creek HCS-60 in a beach rental home I own. I chose this unit because it served all brands of EVs of which I am aware. I use it for my Tesla with the J1772 adapter of course but make it available for tenants who have EVs at no additional cost.

The unit is solid. Delivers 48 amps --- about 35 - 36 miles of charge per hour.
Ditto on the HCS60 from clipper creek. Helped a friend install one in his Hotel. It is a nice unit for not too much $$

I stand corrected. I thought that most other EV's included a 120/240V mobile charging cable.
Most only come with a 120V mobile cable. The only non-Tesla plug-in that I know of that comes with a dual-voltage mobile cable is the Volvo XC90 T8. It comes with a TurboCord Dual which can charge at 16A on 120 or 240VAC. Actually, maybe it's only 12A at 120VAC if it has a NEMA 5-15 on it. More automakers should be including that EVSE with their cars.

Not exactly a hijack, as it is related:
Anyone know of a web site that specifically lists vacation rentals with an EV charging facility?
Well, AirBNB got a little partnership going, encouraging their hosts to look into getting Tesla destination charging wall connectors. They now have a page that lists those, but I think the selection is still really small.
Tesla
Other than that, you probably should turn the search around. Look at where you want to go on Plugshare, and that will list all of the charging opportunities available, and some of them will be hotels and resorts.