TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best J1772 charging unit for guests?

Discussion in 'North America' started by Rodolfo Paiz, May 10, 2016.

1. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Hello, everyone!

As noted in subject, I'd like to set up a charging station outside my garage for guests to use. The goal would be to provide reasonable power delivery (as in, 80A would be great but 30A or 40A will also be fine) with the greatest compatibility for makes and models of EV's. This is a guest charger, after all. Due to our home's layout and location, I am not worried about people stealing power, so user or access control might be nice but is totally unnecessary.

What would you recommend? Any and all suggestions welcome.

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Clipper Creek CS-100 for longtime reliability

watzilla 80Amp (they were sponsors in TMC Connect 2015)

Emotorwerks

• Helpful x 1
  3. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I have a Leviton 40 amp unit. Works great.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I can second Clipper Creek. I own two of their units and the one time I needed support they were GREAT to work with and fixed me right up.

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

3rd vote for Clipper Creek. Very reliable and well priced units.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Darren F

Darren F Member

4th vote for Clipper Creek. And also a second on their service. They sent a replacement unit out with return shipping taken care of for the return of my old unit, no questions asked, didn't even ask for a credit card.

7. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Tesla HPWC with a j1772 head put on it from quickchargepower.com

8. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I don't know about Clipper Creek. The few CC public stations I have visited are only about 50% operational. Seem to be flaky internally.
    In particular, of the four CC chargers at Squaw Valley. Only two work and no one seems to be responsible for fixing them.

9. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I hate Clipper Creek's website, but I've heard consistently good things about them from people who own/operate them. I've seen some dead ones of various brands (including CC), but all have been commercial installations where I worry more about the company who owns/operates them than the manufacturer.

I'm checking out GE, Leviton, and Clipper Creek so far. If I go with CC, it'll probably be an HCS-40. Most other cars can't take more than that power anyway...

Thanks for everyone's input!

10. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

I installed a Clipper Creek HCS-60 in a beach rental home I own. I chose this unit because it served all brands of EVs of which I am aware. I use it for my Tesla with the J1772 adapter of course but make it available for tenants who have EVs at no additional cost.

The unit is solid. Delivers 48 amps --- about 35 - 36 miles of charge per hour.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Ditto on the HCS60 from clipper creek. Helped a friend install one in his Hotel. It is a nice unit for not too much $$

12. Park2670

Park2670 Member

I have a clipper creek unit for my Volt. It has been great.

13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Why not just install a NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 outlet... since most EV's come with a mobile charge cable.

14. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Non Tesla EVs typically don't. They usually just have the J1772 connector (at least in US and Canada).

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Name one EV not made by Tesla that comes with a mobile charge cable that plugs into a 14-30 or 14-50.

• Helpful x 1
  16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I stand corrected. I thought that most other EV's included a 120/240V mobile charging cable.

17. miimura

miimura Active Member

Most only come with a 120V mobile cable. The only non-Tesla plug-in that I know of that comes with a dual-voltage mobile cable is the Volvo XC90 T8. It comes with a TurboCord Dual which can charge at 16A on 120 or 240VAC. Actually, maybe it's only 12A at 120VAC if it has a NEMA 5-15 on it. More automakers should be including that EVSE with their cars.

18. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

Not exactly a hijack, as it is related:
    Anyone know of a web site that specifically lists vacation rentals with an EV charging facility?

19. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

Well, AirBNB got a little partnership going, encouraging their hosts to look into getting Tesla destination charging wall connectors. They now have a page that lists those, but I think the selection is still really small.
    Tesla
    Other than that, you probably should turn the search around. Look at where you want to go on Plugshare, and that will list all of the charging opportunities available, and some of them will be hotels and resorts.

20. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Shouldn't take more than a year for TripAdvisor and AAA to start listing this increasingly-popular amenity!