Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Jack for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to this blog, so perhaps this has been discussed: Does anyone have advice for a good jack. Live in mountains and have periodically hit chunks of rock on the road which tears a tire badly enough that it can't be repaired. The problem--no cell phone connectivity. Got the spare and ordering a lug wrench. Any advice would be appreciated

myron

Reactions: Togg
1. A bottle jack and a hockey puck.

According to another thread, the bottle jack can be used straight on the recessed jacking points, which allows for direct contact with the lift points. While hockey pucks make excellent lift adapters, I'm not sure I'd feel safe balancing one on top of a bottle jack.

Personally I'd go with the racing jack.

I was going to suggest my racing jack but then realized that you wanted something portable to go with a spare in the car. In that case, a bottle jack and hockey puck are likely to be your best choice as jerry noted.

I am not claiming this is the "best" jack; however it did meet most of my criteria for a portable jack that I can use on the road to make a tire change. I am using a military Humvee jack.

The pros: The jack has a very wide base (good for stability), is rated at 3 1/2 tons (well over the entire weight of the car), has a pivoting contact point (keeps full contact with the car as the car is raised), easy to set up, comes in its own carrying case and is of moderate weight (23 lbs.)

The cons: Minimum height of the jack is 6 3/4" (with adapter). With my suspension set on high the jack fits under the car fine. However with a flat tire, I am pretty sure a small ramp will be needed to rest the flat tire on to allow enough clearance. Price and availability may also be an issue; one needs to use the internet to find these at a reasonable price or be near a military surplus store. I would only buy "new" to insure a jack that has not been abused. The price ranges from $50 to $200. Here is a link that has them at the lower price end: U s G I Scissor Jack Heavy Duty Car or Truck Jack | eBay

Some folks will not use a scissor style jack, citing safety concerns. i get that, however this jack has a wide base and is rated at 31/2 tons and it's contact point pivots to maintain full contact with the car's jack point. These attributes hopefully addresses those concerns.

The jack has a 7/8" diameter tip that is the lift point of the jack. Not owning a Humvee, I imagine that this tip fit into a mating hole to provide a secure lifting point. However, the jack's tip is to large in diameter to fit into the MS jack point hole. I didn't feel comfortable having just a 7/8" diameter contact area and made an adapter that fits over the 7/8" tip and provides more contact surface area between the jack and the car's jack point. The adapter consists of a 3" hockey puck sandwiched between two 3" aluminum disks. The hockey puck and one of the aluminum disks will need to have a 7/8"-1" hole center drilled into them. One could try the hockey puck by itself; I wanted more support than just rubber so I choose to use the aluminum disk as well. A source for the 3" aluminum disks: Aluminum Round Disc Circle 3 Thick | eBay

I also carry a 24" breaker bar and 21mm 6 point deep socket; my ramp is made of scrap 2x6's. My plan is to raise the suspension to high, drive onto the ramp with the flat tire, place the car in jack mode and then place the jack with it's adapter under the car and mate the adapter to the car's jack point. It worked on the dry run, hopefully that's the last time I have to use it.

Here's the photos:

Carrying case and wood ramp.jpg
Carrying case contents.jpg
Adapter attached to jack.jpg

Last edited:
Racing jacks are nice, but sort of overkill for the very occasional spare tire. I am not a huge fan of scissor jacks, but to carry in the car in the off chance you have a flat? Seems fine. That's basically what all the OEMs provide.

I bought a scissor jack at Auto Zone. Was $30 and doesn't take up much space.

I also think it's overkill to carry a torque wrench. I mean, yes, you don't want to dramatically under torque or over torque the nuts, but using a T bar lug wrench is fine for a temporary side of the road repair. I've never come across a car that comes with a torque wrench for mounting the spare.

I am aware of that thread.

You linked to the jackpoint jack stand with the low profile pad; the discussion concluded the standard height pad might be better. I'm curious why you suggested the low profile pad; have you used it successfully without injuring the battery?

That was the link I bookmarked from the original thread. Sorry if it's the wrong link.

As I recall from my test drive...there IS NO SPARE to mount.
All this jack stuff is fine, but if you do-na-gat a wheel, yer screwed.

If you go buy a jack, buy a spare also.
Inflating cans of sealant? - not a universal fix if you are in an area that threads sidewalls.
Belt and suspender type of travel.

I'm in a semi-rural area and drive through remote areas frequently and this was of concern to me as well. We got a set of snow tires on wheels for the winter, and whenever we go on a long trip, I'll toss one of whatever set of wheels we aren't using in the back.

For the jack, I got this:

51OvKmAWUKL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-7462-Scissor-Jack/dp/B00A7EOREO/ref=zg_bs_15708081_10

I was concerned about getting a jack that would be too tall to fit under the car, so I wanted to make sure the jack I got would be pretty low to start. This one is pretty short, and its rated to start lifting at 5" and tops out at 13". It came in a tough cardboard box that's pretty compact, and it just lives in the underfloor space in the back.

So far, I've used it once, just to check a suspension knock that we heard. When I swap my snow tires, I have a standard 3-ton hydraulic floor jack.