Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best launch technique

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending a few days with the P85D I am left wondering about the best way to launch from a stop. The AWD definitely helps prevent wheelspin, but it's not 100% and depending on street surface I've noticed that there can still be some spin on full throttle starts.

Then I came across Motor Trend's review of the P85D and noticed the commentary pasted below. I tried their technique. It really seemed to make a positive difference. Is this theory on the potentiometer and giving the pedal a strong kick to the firewall real science?

"Consequently, the easiest way to flatten your retinas at a dragstrip isn't by just stomping on the right pedal. Instead, you draw your foot back and kick the living hell out of it. (I'm serious.) Your foot's flying start at the pedal means the potentiometer opens the battery's electron floodgate that much sooner, and without the teeniest tire chirp, the P85D accelerates at the highest rate the road's mu (its coefficient of friction) allows. It's surreally efficient.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests..._tesla_model_s_p85d_first_test/#ixzz3NgpVG1oh"

How about shifting to neutral, pedal to the floor, then shift to drive? Since it's all just computer input, you wouldn't be trashing your transmission like if you did this in a normal car. Disclaimer: I haven't tried this, if you destroy something trying it then it's not my fault.

Kick or stomp the pedal (whatever you feel like) and watch the power meter around the speedometer. It ramps up over a short period of time. It doesn't jump up to max instantly. The car always does that, even if you could physically push the accelerator to 100% virtually instantly. Stomping makes you feel you are pushed into the seat more and maybe that gives one the impression it accelerates with a harder kick.

I was told hold your foot on the brake while pressing the accelerator, them let go of the brake.
You only get the 2 pedal text warning when you accidentally hit the brake while under power.
We tried this on a demo drive and it seemed to work. Someone please try it who actually has their car as mine is still stuck in the
'black hole'

I think that the theory behind kicking the pedal to the floor is that somehow that causes whatever throttle mapping (I may be using the wrong term for this) exists to change to a "give it all you got, NOW" dragstrip type mode. That's what I was asking about...whether such a thing exists.

I noticed in the video I took when I tried kicking the throttle to the firewall that the traction control was lit up all the way to 45 mph. I wonder whether there is throttle retardation as part of the traction control. In any event, the BANG/SLAM that occurs at the first stage of acceleration is pretty dang violent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I now have a total of 600 miles on my Red P85D. My 41 year old son flew in from Seattle to participate in the delivery & "Test Drives". Except on some rain slick roads on day 2 of our testing we did not notice any wheel spin at all. On the rain slick roads the computer really did a great job of metering the acceleration, still flattening your retinas! I am anxious to get the new seats as in high speed driving on "twisty" roads needs some better lateral support.