Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best location for wall charger for my new Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my new Model Y in 10 days. My electrician is coming to install my wall charger this week. My power outlet is at the front of my garage but I understanding the charging port for the Y is in the left rear. This means that my cable will have to run the length of the car plus go diagonally across it since th power outlet would be at the front right.

Is this going to be a problem or should I just always back my car into the garage or pay to have the power outlet (which is near my circuit breaker) moved toward the entrance side of the garage near the left rear charging port. I am a little concerned about running the cord over the car since it could scratch or damage the finish.

Thanks.

I am picking up my new Model Y in 10 days. My electrician is coming to install my wall charger this week. My power outlet is at the front of my garage but I understanding the charging port for the Y is in the left rear. This means that my cable will have to run the length of the car plus go diagonally across it since th power outlet would be at the front right.

Is this going to be a problem or should I just always back my car into the garage or pay to have the power outlet (which is near my circuit breaker) moved toward the entrance side of the garage near the left rear charging port. I am a little concerned about running the cord over the car since it could scratch or damage the finish.

Thanks.
The charge port is on the left rear, hiding behind the rear/side reflector. I would suggest that you have the electrician place the outlet close to the car. This will be more convenient and since you will be using the charger almost nightly for the next 5 or more years why not make it convenient for you. This will also reduce the stress on the cable as you drag it around the car.

Park where you usually park. Use an extension cord or a garden hose and mark off 24 ft (the length of the charging cord on the latest iteration of the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector.) Use the left rear corner of your vehicle for either the starting point or the ending point and walk to the other end. (In some cases the local electrical/building code requires that all electrical outlets, switches or equipment installed inside a garage must be a minimum of 48 inches above the floor of the garage.) This will help you to see where the Wall Connector should be installed. If you want the flexibility of being able to park and charge on either side of the garage then install the Wall Connector close to the garage door so the charging cord can reach in either case.

If you are going to use the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector the charging cord is shorter, at 18.5 feet in length, than the 24 foot charging cord on the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector.

Some prefer to back into their garage; not me.

Difficult to give an unique answer without looking at a picture of the garage.

For example, some people prefer backing up, so the trunk will be near the door connected to the entrance
of the house, which can be helpful when you come back from the grocery with a lot of bags in your trunk.
But never considere it before because of the car exhaust.

Some people have a tight garage, and when the charging plug is used, they don't want to hit the plug
when at night they carry some trash or bottles to the trash or the recycle bin located often near the garage door.
So they park their car accordingly to walk on the opposite side of the car in this case.

You might considere that sometime you want to keep you car outside in front of your garage using the charger,
or you want to considere be able to share the same plug with two cars without having to move the cars.

My advice would be to try to get the cable coming from above the car, just above the car plug,
this will avoid having the cable running on the floor with the risk that a kid might fall on the floor.
Also this would avoid to have to roll and unroll the cable everytime you use it.

Last edited:
It's a PITA to back in, despite back-up camera and tilting mirror.
"If you feel lucky," and have FSD, use smart summon!
Is it the way you park at a Supercharger !!!

I agree that when you have to back up, by making a 90 degree cirle,
to park your car between two other Tesla at a Supercharger while every body look at you,
this is not a very comfortable situation.

After 10 years with an EV, I wish I'd had my electrician run the EVSE circuit to the small wall between the garage doors. that way an EVSE there could serve the four potential parking spaces: two in the garage and two right outside each garage door. Instead, my EVSE is on the 'inside wall', deep in the garage. I end up running cords the length of the garage to reach the car charge ports.

I do like the idea of a garage ceiling mounted evse with some sort of swing arm or other support that could reach to every point in the garage. My best practice is approaching that: my cords now actually hang down from the ceiling - tethered with a section of bungie at just the right point to keep the plug hanging above the floor but still reach he car comfortably.

I have a 2 car garage and had the electrician mount a 14-50 centrally near the ceiling between both cars so the cable can easily reach any parking position. Currently I back in and the charging cable is suspended from the ceiling out of the way and runs over the car. The extra cable length is looped above the Model Y charge port on a support attached to the ceiling. When my tesla is not there the charge cable is out of the way.

You're going to be plugging in at least a couple times per week, probably more. You want it to be as convenient as possible.

Only you can make the call as to how inconvenient it will be for you to access the charger from the front of the garage. If it were me, I would have the plug moved. And while you're at it, make sure the electrician installs the plug in the proper orientation. For the 14-50 plug, you want the ground up, which is opposite of the way it normally is installed.