Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Location to Purchase M3 w/ Lowest Sales Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how well that strategy will work. In most states you will end up paying whatever the sales tax is where you live regardless of where you actually conclude the sale and take delivery. For example if you buy it somewhere where you only need to pay 7.25% but your local tax rate is 8%, you will most likely end up paying the difference when you register it at home.

Looks like the lowest sales tax in CA is 7.25% in some places.

Is anyone looking at this as a method to save almost $1k (YMMV)?

In California no matter where you buy the car in the state, you are charged the rate for the county you live in. So I can buy a car in Kern County, which has a lower rate than LA County, but they still charge me the LA County rate.

So you would have to establish residency in said county.

Sales tax? On a car? Not in Oregon, we don't believe in that. :).
No, you believe in outrageously high property tax, year after year after year...........

States and local jurisdictions get their taxes from three primary sources - Use (sales) tax, Property tax, and Personal income tax. Eliminate one and the other two are increased to make up the difference (in most cases).

In Washington, our state sales tax on the first $32k of any EV msrp'd at $42,500 or less is exempt. I think our vehicle sales tax is 6.5%. And you still have to pay the approx .03% (I think) county tax.

Tentatively planning to pay around $205 in sales tax for my Model 3. Think I paid around $2,000 for my Acura 4 years ago.

No, you believe in outrageously high property tax, year after year after year...........

States and local jurisdictions get their taxes from three primary sources - Use (sales) tax, Property tax, and Personal income tax. Eliminate one and the other two are increased to make up the difference (in most cases).

Sure, you can't avoid paying taxes... but Death! I'm sure to cheat that.

If you want a really good deal you need to register it in Montana. A good percentage of million dollar cars are registered there.

Ferrari F60 - 2
LaFerrari - 14
Koenigsegg - 1
Aventador - 58
McALaren P1 - 24
Pagani Huayra - 5
Porsche 918 - 42

If you want a really good deal you need to register it in Montana. A good percentage of million dollar cars are registered there.

Ferrari F60 - 2
LaFerrari - 14
Koenigsegg - 1
Aventador - 58
McALaren P1 - 24
Pagani Huayra - 5
Porsche 918 - 42

Yeah, I had a client contact me about two years ago about this. He found this law firm that promotes SMLLCs based in Montana. The firm charges a set-up fee and an annual reporting fee. Apparently, sales taxes and annual registration fees in Montana are pretty low. He decided against trying this tactic.

It all goes to intent and purpose. If your car is garaged in your home state, and you have zero ties to Montana, it seems to me to be a prima facie case of fraud.

Many years ago I lived in Shasta County. It was pretty common for residents of the north state to buy their cars in Oregon to save on sales tax and registration fees. They would use an address of a friend or relative. CHP did a major sting operation there and netted an astronomical amount of money from those individuals. In fact, there is a reporting form on the CHP website to report California residents with out-of-state plates on their cars.

Yeah, I had a client contact me about two years ago about this. He found this law firm that promotes SMLLCs based in Montana. The firm charges a set-up fee and an annual reporting fee. Apparently, sales taxes and annual registration fees in Montana are pretty low. He decided against trying this tactic.

It all goes to intent and purpose. If your car is garaged in your home state, and you have zero ties to Montana, it seems to me to be a prima facie case of fraud.

Many years ago I lived in Shasta County. It was pretty common for residents of the north state to buy their cars in Oregon to save on sales tax and registration fees. They would use an address of a friend or relative. CHP did a major sting operation there and netted an astronomical amount of money from those individuals. In fact, there is a reporting form on the CHP website to report California residents with out-of-state plates on their cars.

Montana is the new Delaware for incorporating.