TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best mattresses for Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SeanTek, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SeanTek

SeanTek Member

I measured the back of my Model S, and it is around 38.5" x 72-75" (depending on where you measure, and how far forward the front seats are). This is about the size of a twin bed. So, I was wondering: has anyone tried to put a mattress (air mattress or otherwise) in the Model S? How does it work and feel? What are the best products? I am thinking that an air mattress with a 12V DC pump would work best.

When I laid down in the back with the back seats down, it felt like it could be doable. However, if one's head is placed in the front, filling for the footwell right before the front seats is absolutely necessary.

I read some posts about people putting full size mattresses in the Model S, but I think they were referring to deflated mattresses, not inflated/usable mattresses in the car itself. I do not see a way to fit a full size mattress in the car to be able to sleep on it.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks for the measurements! I could have used these when burning some time at Fred Meyer this weekend (away from my juicing vehicle).

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I slept in mine at a campground the other night. I can report that 1" thick egg-carton foam is NOT thick enough to keep you from noticing the rise where the seats fold over. Also, the top of the folded-over seats curve forward/down, so your pillow constantly threatens to fall (hence the need for "filling"). It never did, though.

It was nice to use the phone to vent and close the sunroof. I may try to find some thick heavy foam and cut it to the size of the cargo area, to make it the same height as the seats.

I think a regular mattress might be too thick, and put you too close to the hatch for comfort. But I am sure there are some foam or air mattresses that will work well.

4. SeanTek

SeanTek Member

5. babyrocket

babyrocket Member

6. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

• Funny x 1
  7. Spenny818

Spenny818 Member

8. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

A twin mattress is 38" x 75". You can often also get all foam mattresses cut to the size you want. You can expect to pay around $400 minimum for one of those. A basic 6" twin foam mattress can be found for as little as $100.

• Helpful x 1
  10. SeanTek

SeanTek Member

Have you actually tried this? It says 70" by 41". But I measured the narrowest part as 38.5" (for those who have child seats, I measured from the wall where one side hook attaches to the other side hook, inclusive of the hooks). Maybe this makes it a nice, snug fit when fully inflated in-place, but it might be difficult to insert or remove. And for those of us who are longer than 70", our heads (or feet) will be hanging off the edge...

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Your sleeping the wrong way. Sleep with your head pointed to the rear. Not only does this eliminate the seat rise problem but the parcel shelf blocks out the light allowing for a good night's sleep. It was fine for me with no mattress.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

i tried this and the blood rushed to my head. waayy uncomfortable.

• Helpful x 1
  13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Park on a hill?

14. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

#14 SCW-Greg, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    Love the inflatable idea, since it stores nicely.

From time to time, Home Depot gets special buys on twin sized foam pads for $14.97. The foam is about 4" thick. We have two up above in the garage now. I'll get one down and see if it fits.... (EDIT) tomorrow evening... there's too much stuff to maneuver to get them down right now.

15. efxjim

efxjim Member

I have camped several time in the S and use a Yoga mat. It fits one person just fine. As for the step between the seats and trunk I made a tapered bolster out of "etha" foam. It is a dense foam that has very little compression. The only thing I wish the S had is an always on setting for the climate control system "camping mode". It was below freezing at my campsite. I had the car plugged in so battery life was not an issue.

• Helpful x 1
  16. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Sounds like an option for the air suspension, to be able to raise just the front, or just the rear :)

• Like x 1
  17. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Good idea!!

18. Robbo

Robbo Member

If the Tesla's rocking, don't come knocking.......

• Like x 1
  19. digitaltim

digitaltim Sig737 VIN628

20. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Or adjust all four corners, via smartphone app.