Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use a "queen" size air mattress, so it fills "around" the wheel humps in an hour-glass shape... just don't inflate it fully, maybe about 90% full of air and it will accommodate the awkward shape. When you both lay on it, the weight kind of "pressurizes" the mattress more so it becomes firmer while still keeping the hourglass shape. Hard to explain, but just works - trick is don't inflate it fully, experiment a bit.

I use a "queen" size air mattress, so it fills "around" the wheel humps in an hour-glass shape... just don't inflate it fully, maybe about 90% full of air and it will accommodate the awkward shape. When you both lay on it, the weight kind of "pressurizes" the mattress more so it becomes firmer while still keeping the hourglass shape. Hard to explain, but just works - trick is don't inflate it fully, experiment a bit.

Going to try this, thanks!

Also, if I haven't mentioned the camping tricks yet..

Roll front seats fully forward and set them to a fairly upright position and put a couple rubbermaid bins with lids in the rear seating area... this supports the top of the mattress where your head goes. There are bins with height that comes up to be nearly the same level as folded down seat backs. We used the bins to pack stuff in, and fit in the rear luggage area easily for travel.

I'm 6'4" and have no problem stretched out in this space on such a setup.

OK, tip #2... worth a mention and related to bedding down in an S.
I use rhino ramps (or equivalent) to backup onto with rear wheels... it levels out the car so the bed in the back is flatter. If you don't want to pack these (hey I have a Classic with a big frunk so no problem) you can park the car so it is nose downhill.. find a slope on the camping site. If you notice the car is pointed at a river or cliff or something... put non-round rocks in front of the front tires.

Thought I'd follow up since I started the thread.

First of all, this is a Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Queen, part # 2000010286. Fully inflated it is 78" x 58" x 8".

View attachment 24394View attachment 24395View attachment 24396View attachment 24397View attachment 24398

As shown, it is obviously too big. The length is fine but the width is too much. After deflating it, I managed to get it to fit snugly. You can see the caved-in impression of a single bed user in the middle.

- - - Updated - - -

The next exhibit is the Coleman SUV QuickBed Airbed, part # 2000010281. The size is 73" x 40" x 6.5".

View attachment 24408View attachment 24409View attachment 24410View attachment 24411View attachment 24412View attachment 24413View attachment 24414View attachment 24415View attachment 24416

It is better than the queen, but not perfect. In particular, the "feature" of having a separately inflated pocket for the headrest is actually a drawback. Because the headrest is connected but separately inflated, it bends at the joint. This means that it goes down when it hangs over the backseat, making it uncomfortable and unusable. Additionally, the inflation valves are on the side of the mattress, which is inconvenient placement if you are using the 12V lighter to power an air pump.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally, here are pictures of my preferred mattress: the Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Twin (with 4D Battery Pump Combo), part # 2000010290.

Size: 73" x 38" x 8".

View attachment 24417View attachment 24418View attachment 24419View attachment 24420View attachment 24421View attachment 24422

There is a little bit of "give" in that the width of the mattress does not fit exactly snugly against the sides, but it is extremely close--quite acceptable in fact. One point better than the SUV QuickBed is that because there is only one air pocket, the head area will hold its shape if you put your head on the front side. The inflation valve is also well-positioned for easy filling with a 12V air pump.

I bought this one (the twin 4D combo) over the standard one because I liked the darker color. It is not black--it is dark brown--but it matches the interior decor of my MS better. This one is a keeper.

Thanks for this,

I also went with the Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Twin with the pump and it fits nicely

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0087N2TKQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I used the parcel Shelf to even it out the dip a little bit (see second picture), still sleeping on a bit of slant, but better than nothing.
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG

If you search the TMC, this has been discussed for several years. Folks make different choices. Many buy air mattresses, so they can be stored in smaller space when not in use. I find every air mattress I buy looses air or fails to hold air right when I pull it out and need to use it. Most regular twin mattresses will fit pretty well in back of a Model S. Simple measurement of width x length is listed when shopping, and compare with length x width of S with seat down. Some folks get relatively thin foam mattresses, others get regular thicker spring mattresses. I went with a black twin futon, 6 inches thick. The futon blends in with the black interior, and is quite comfortable, provided you put a piece of (raw) 3 inch thick foam across the cargo area right behind/abutting the drop-off due to rear seats. Put the futon on top, and all is good. Further for comfort, use smallish boxes or even better plastic tote boxes for your stuff that fit on the floor right behind front seats. Stack them up so they are roughly level with the rear seats after they are put down. In that way, your pillow will not fall off the head end of your futon/mattress, plus you gain another half-foot of usable length to stretch out, which is nice if one is significantly over 6 feet tall.

Hey guys,
So i just bought an air mattress for my Model S.
Intex Luftmatratzte, blue, 99 x 191 x 22 cm, 68757: Amazon.de: Sport & Freizeit

The size is almost perfect but i know i can get better!
39 x 75 x 8.75 inches
99 x 191 x 22 cm

In my opinion the perfect fit would have been 107...108 cm instead of 99cm (42...43 inches) because in the side there's still space to fit my hand.

I followed some ppl suggestion and put that divider under the mattress to give it some more hight.

Does anyone know where to find a perfect 108 x 191 x 22 cm, 43 x 75 x 8.75 in mattress? :)

I also got this 12V pump that has AC and DC: Sähköpumppu TORNADO | JYSK

IMG_0021.JPG

Reactions: Vern Padgett
So i decided to take one for the team and ordered this mattress from amazon. I asked the seller for a discount because 105€ was too much and he gave me a code for 80€. Still too much but i was willing to try. The mattress definitely doesn't worth 80€. More like 20...30€.

The mattress is not really a custom fit, but it fits fine in the car. It fits well on the sides. It has the problem of the silly pillow like other user complained.
The mattress has 4 valves and 2 are in the foot area making it impossible to fill without some gymnastics.

The hight is not great either. it is just 10cms or so and it seems too low. Ideal would be 20cm.
It come with an electrical pump with a 12V connection only. The pump is really bad and the adapters don't even fit.. There was also a keychain included: Topfit Silicone Car Key Fob, Keyring, Key Case Cover Holder for Tesla Model S-Black: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
If they didn't include those 2 unwanted items/not listed, im sure i could get this cheaper.
There was also a bag to carry the mattress and some patches to fix the mattress.

After some googling i found the mattress in some chinese website: Alpha car car car dual-use inflatable mattress air bed SUV General Motors car bed bed
the brand is Alpha or 阿尔法, and in the box i have and on that website, it never says "Tesla custom fit".

Some images:
IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0123.JPGIMG_0134.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Everyone! This is my first post. Thanks for this great forum, my husband Sheldon uses it a lot, and I will try not to embarrass him too much as I post in it as a total newbie to the forum.

I've read this whole thread as we prepare for a 12 day camping trip, and I just thought I'd post about the mattress we got, and the surprising conclusion of this mattress you mentioned, Smilepak. It turns out to suit our needs in the Model S perfectly--but not for the reasons you'd think!

As you can see from Smilepak's original photo of it above, it has cut outs for the wheel well. Those were what enticed us to get the matttress, and they would have worked just fine. They do fit the wheel well....

However, when you place the mattress in the Model S in this original orientation, there is a problem. That hump created by the seats folding down, is made worse, because the upper portion of the mattress is substantially thicker than the lower portion:
IMG_0235 (2).jpg
But here's the thing: by simply turning the mattress around, one not only solves this problem, it improves it. THIS MATTRESS DECREASES THE HUMP, making it even more well suited to the Model S than one would think.
IMG_0227.jpg

Note: there is still a hump, it is not entirely gone, but it is less extreme. Personally, as a woman with hips, I find the resulting small dip to be just right. It gives me a little support at the waist but not so much as to be uncomfortable on the lower back when laying on my back. At least, the test run felt good, for both my husband and I. We'll let you know after our trip how it faired!

Another note: this is a thinner mattress than many, and the portion that is now at the top under the shoulders, is the thinnest area of the mattress. If you need a lot of give under the shoulder area, this mattress may not be for you. I'll let my husband Sheldon report on the comfort of the mattress for a man's shoulders.

Quality note: The material feels nice, but the durability of the mattress as a whole is a possible concern. It's not as heavy duty looking as some mattresses. It does come with a patch kit, as well as a pump.

As you may notice, the clever little wheel well flaps no longer line up, so they become redundant; they just lay down flat as part of the upper portion of the mattress. The section that is now squeezed between the wheel wells fits in just fine, though. It rides up a little bit on the sides, but not an issue, and one could deflate this middle section of the mattress a bit if one wanted to

. Here's a pic of the upper portion, being supported by a bin in the back seat. As you can see, the wheel well flaps are a bit thicker than this portion of the mattress itself, but they are inflated separately, so can be adjusted if it bothers you. They are a bit peripheral, so I don't expect to mind them. Here you can also see the valve location. Naturally I would push it in (it does recede) and also flip the mattress over so it's on the underside.
IMG_0230.jpg

I appreciate that all sections of the mattress are inflated separately, so you can adjust the firmness of each. There are five valves total. Slower to inflate the thing I guess, but it makes for an excellent custom fit. Another nice thing is that the valves are all double valves: they have a fully open position, and a partially open position with a one-way valve that keeps the air in as you top it off. Easy to fill with our electric pump. We didn't use the one that came with it, as it is slower than the one we have, but it appears functional.

Oh, last point: I was originally concerned about it being too narrow for my husband and I, but we tried it out, and proximity to each other won't be a problem for us. We'll have room to sleep facing either direction. I'm optimistic that I will actually sleep on this trip! (Assuming the kids don't wake us up from their tent!)

Attachments

• ModelSMattress.jpg
    ModelSMattress.jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 401
I just realized Smilepak's original link is going to a different mattress now. There are several listings for this green one, I don't know which my husband bought through, but I'm betting they are all the same mattress. Here's one.

Also, I didn't mean to hide the last picture as an attachment. This forum doesn't seem to be letting me edit my post, so here's the last picture, complete with notations. :)
ModelSMattress.jpg