Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people insist in sleeping inside the car? Seems claustrophobic to me.
What do they do with all of the stuff they normally pack inside the car?
We just take a tent.
IMG_20150706_200621.jpg

Reactions: SportsmanFlyer
Tent is great sometimes, but if you are urban camping, or it's really cold/hot/noisy/rainy/windy, then the tent is not so good. For instance when on a long road trip, you can pull into any Wal-Mart and camp in their parking lot for free. Plus if you just want to pull off the road and get a few hours rest, you don't want to set-up/tear-down the tent.

And I remember looking at pictures here of someone in Canada pulling into the Superchargers in the middle of winter, plugging in, and having a nice warm sleep. It sure looked cosy to me.

Only a nice 30 minute warm sleep, then HVAC shuts off and the car gets cold. I've tried both on level 2 and SC to keep the HVAC on without success.

The only problem is I cannot figure out how to keep the HVAC on while charging. No matter what I try, it goes off after :30. I don't have an iOS device, so I can't use the camping mode in the remote S app, and in any event, I've already been to one camp site were there was no cell service, so it wouldn't have worked anyway.

Weight in the front seat doesn't work when plugged in? And I'm guessing the last thing you want to do while sleeping is leave the driver's door only half-latched.

There have been a few threads on the topic of the camping mode. Bjørn Nyland has a video with a rather comprehensive description on how to keep HVAC on all night.

Tesla Model S: Camper Mode - YouTube

He leaves the car in neutral to keep the car in drive mode, which keeps the heat on, and he walks you through locking the car, setting the brake, etc. The downside of this method is that you can't charge while you sleep, which is no problem if you are not far from a supercharger where you can charge the next day.

Here's what doesn't work for keeping HVAC on while charging:

1. Weight in front seat, even if cycling.
2. Keeping driver's door cracked.
3. Keeping all doors cracked. (or even open all the way)
4. Keeping hatch open.
5. Putting in Neutral + parking brake, then connecting charge cable. (Doesn't charge until car is in park)
6. Keeping frunk open.

Seems the only way to do this is for the mobile app to renew the climate on command every 30 minutes. (Or via Mobile S, Visible Tesla, Etc.) Problem is if you're in an area w/ no cell coverage.

2. Keeping driver's door cracked.
3. Keeping all doors cracked. (or even open all the way)

I had originally thought that would work, but discovered it doesn't the other day. I had my doors open working on the car (hard wiring my dash cam in) when all of a sudden the music stopped, the HVAC shut down and all the screens went blank. I panicked thinking something had gone wrong with the car, but closing, then re-opening the doors brought it all back to life. Not sure how long it takes for this to happen, but my guess is about a half an hour.

He leaves the car in neutral to keep the car in drive mode, which keeps the heat on, and he walks you through locking the car, setting the brake, etc. The downside of this method is that you can't charge while you sleep, which is no problem if you are not far from a supercharger where you can charge the next day.

The other disadvantage is that in jurisdictions with mandatory DRLs, you can't shut them off. I have discovered that if the car is in Park and the DRLs are on, you can manually switch to Parking Lights, then Off and the DRLs will shut down, but they'll come back on as soon as you put the car in a "gear", including Neutral.

We've camped in the back of our model S about a half dozen times in remote areas on the mountain roads of Oregon and WA. We set the climate control at 68-70 and it uses 15-30 miles of range for the night(absolutely love it).

Really? In so called camper mode and turn off headlights?

But you can't turn off drl and lcd, they don't drain that much power?

A whole night 8+ hrs only drain 30 miles range, impressive

Scratch my earlier post about the Exped megamat. It was good initially but being too wide it overtime lost it's structure and tends to bow in the middle where the wheel wells are. I would try the inflatable above but my girlfriend wakes up when I move around on an inflatable.

I got an idea when getting a mattress for our house. I'm going to try this 5" full size memory foam mattress. I'll cut out the wheel wells to make it a custom fit. If nothing else it was only $120. Going to try it this weekend. I can't wait to wake up with the car covered in snow, I'm interested how many rated miles it's going to use in the winter. Going to try it at climate control set at 68 degrees.

Amazon.com - LUCID 5 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress - Dual-Layered - CertiPUR-US Certified - Firm Feel - Full Size -

Scratch my earlier post about the Exped megamat. It was good initially but being too wide it overtime lost it's structure and tends to bow in the middle where the wheel wells are. I would try the inflatable above but my girlfriend wakes up when I move around on an inflatable.

I got an idea when getting a mattress for our house. I'm going to try this 5" full size memory foam mattress. I'll cut out the wheel wells to make it a custom fit. If nothing else it was only $120. Going to try it this weekend. I can't wait to wake up with the car covered in snow, I'm interested how many rated miles it's going to use in the winter. Going to try it at climate control set at 68 degrees.

Amazon.com - LUCID 5 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress - Dual-Layered - CertiPUR-US Certified - Firm Feel - Full Size -

Cool let us know how it fits, I might get one for when I have to work late I could save myself 1.5hrs of commuting home and back :)

Works great! You can even fold it so that you can put up the rear seats when not in use. It's still in my trunk (with the frunk now acting as storage space). All that padding seems to quiet road noise too.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice to see this thread active again with new comments and suggestions. Every air mattress I have had leaks air after a couple uses. No matter how pricey. And, they always make noise and shift air when one rolls over. And the plastic is often not comfortable when it's warm. So, I got a regular 100% cotton fill twin size futon, in black. Overstock.com for just under $100. a piece of 4 inch cut to size foam underneath the futon along the seat back "drop off" to fix the lump, and it's super comfortable. Use black sheets as well, and it really blends in with the interior. Like others, some plastic bins behind front seats raise that area for pillows. And window sunblocks all around for complete privacy and shielding from street lights, etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sather and mblakele
Nice to see this thread active again with new comments and suggestions. Every air mattress I have had leaks air after a couple uses. No matter how pricey. And, they always make noise and shift air when one rolls over. And the plastic is often not comfortable when it's warm. So, I got a regular 100% cotton fill twin size futon, in black. Overstock.com for just under $100. a piece of 4 inch cut to size foam underneath the futon along the seat back "drop off" to fix the lump, and it's super comfortable. Use black sheets as well, and it really blends in with the interior. Like others, some plastic bins behind front seats raise that area for pillows. And window sunblocks all around for complete privacy and shielding from street lights, etc.

What window sunblocks do you use? I've used fabric before, basically I roll down the window a little bit but the fabric in and roll the window up to secure it in place. For front privacy you can stretch a blanket between the front seat headrests and adjust the seats so the headrests go all the way up the ceiling securing it in place.

Do you guys have an issue with sleeping on a slope since the seats are at an incline when folded down? What do you think about getting a "wedge pillow" to help make it level? Or is that what the recent poster meant when he said he cut a 4inch foam to fit around a lump?Amazon.com: wedge pillow

Also I recommend getting a quality sleep mask instead of worrying about window shades, I once bought like 20 kinds with good reviews and only like 4 were good, I can find amazon links of the goods ones if you guys need a recommendation (usually $20-30)