Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys have an issue with sleeping on a slope since the seats are at an incline when folded down? What do you think about getting a "wedge pillow" to help make it level? Or is that what the recent poster meant when he said he cut a 4inch foam to fit around a lump?Amazon.com: wedge pillow

Also I recommend getting a quality sleep mask instead of worrying about window shades, I once bought like 20 kinds with good reviews and only like 4 were good, I can find amazon links of the goods ones if you guys need a recommendation (usually $20-30)
On the slope: FYI, the futon I got is 8 inch thick Cotton, and I bought a $10 hunk of 3 inch thick foam, at exact width so it wedges btw the wheels, and about two feet long from the drop off going toward the rear (just to smooth the sudden drop off behind folded rear seats). Sleeping with feet (at the rear) lower than head (behind front seat backs) at a very slight slope is very comfortable. IF you really want to sleep with head at rear, then you need larger piece of thicker foam for the entire area from drop off at rear edge of back seat to very rear of cargo area. Head lower than feet is rarely comfortable, except a small minority of people.

I measured the back of my Model S, and it is around 38.5" x 72-75" (depending on where you measure, and how far forward the front seats are). This is about the size of a twin bed. So, I was wondering: has anyone tried to put a mattress (air mattress or otherwise) in the Model S? How does it work and feel? What are the best products? I am thinking that an air mattress with a 12V DC pump would work best.

When I laid down in the back with the back seats down, it felt like it could be doable. However, if one's head is placed in the front, filling for the footwell right before the front seats is absolutely necessary.

I read some posts about people putting full size mattresses in the Model S, but I think they were referring to deflated mattresses, not inflated/usable mattresses in the car itself. I do not see a way to fit a full size mattress in the car to be able to sleep on it.

Thank you for the measurements!

I found this mattress on Amazon ALPS Mountaineering Rechargeable Air Bed, and in theory Twin (39" x 74") should be perfect fit. Price is ok and includes car charger. But I'm not sure if 2 people can sleep comfortably on a Twin size mattress?

Will look something like this
P1010888.JPG

Last edited:
I'd stay away from that model. The pump runs off an internal battery, and the adapter provides only enough current to slowly charge the battery (not enough to run the pump). This means if your battery is uncharged you'll have to wait six hours to inflate your mattress. Not fun if you park at night and want to go to sleep.

edit: I see two people claim otherwise in the product Q&A. Trust me, they are wrong. I have this same model pump and it is a big problem. This reviewer noticed it, too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2A5QDS3MF0I70/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007X098QC

I'd stay away from that model. The pump runs off an internal battery, and the adapter provides only enough current to slowly charge the battery (not enough to run the pump). This means if your battery is uncharged you'll have to wait six hours to inflate your mattress. Not fun if you park at night and want to go to sleep.

edit: I see two people claim otherwise in the product Q&A. Trust me, they are wrong. I have this same model pump and it is a big problem. This reviewer noticed it, too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r.../ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007X098QC

Thank you for such a valuable advice!

If battery is fully charged, then how many times it can inflate/deflate the mattress ?

Thank you for such a valuable advice!

If battery is fully charged, then how many times it can inflate/deflate the mattress ?

I don't think I've ever tried to run more than one full inflate and one full deflate cycle on a single charge. It does slow down a little at the end, so I probably wouldn't chance it. We have the queen version though; the twin might fare a little better due to its smaller volume. If you are in a pinch, you can also deflate it by hand. If you do that I'm sure you could get two full inflations out of it.

I don't think I've ever tried to run more than one full inflate and one full deflate cycle on a single charge. It does slow down a little at the end, so I probably wouldn't chance it.
Are you sure the "slow down" is actually from the battery running out and not just the increased load due to the mostly full mattress air pressure?
I don't know anything about this product, but having to charge the pump shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you know that. You can be charging it while you're on the road.

Ok, probably a dumb question, but if my wife and I decide to sleep in the back and it's a cold & rainy night and we have everything closed, is the Model S cabin so airtight that I need to crack a window despite the rain pouring in? Would it be possible to consume all the oxygen in one night?

May sound crazy but it's that kind of question that would keep me up all night.

You'll be fine except that there will likely be condensation all over the place. I'd vent the pano, presuming you will have a pano, and see how it goes. Absent that, you can set the AC to 1 with the energy-saving and range modes on at some ambient temperature. Have a look for threads concerning "camping mode", since without some adjustments, the car will shut off after 30 minutes at rest.

Have done it both ways during countless nights of snoozing in the chariot, and haven't died of asphyxiation yet. However, in case they've taken steps to button up the car in preparation for bioweapons defense mode, do consider testing the venting or AC at setting 1 as well.

Ok, probably a dumb question, but if my wife and I decide to sleep in the back and it's a cold & rainy night and we have everything closed, is the Model S cabin so airtight that I need to crack a window despite the rain pouring in? Would it be possible to consume all the oxygen in one night?

May sound crazy but it's that kind of question that would keep me up all night.
If you aren't charging then you can enable e-brake in the controls while in Neutral and it will keep air on, or if you are charging (thus need to be in park) I believe there is an app that will send a signal every so often to wake up the car as a camping mode

Three years later, I regret to report that a burglar stole my Coleman Single High QuickBed Airbed Twin, that was the basis of my awesome mobile Tesla command center/hotel. :mad: (The airbed was not stolen from inside the Tesla, although three weeks later my Model S was regrettably broken into. A topic for another day.)

The Coleman held up well over time and got many uses both in the car and out. For those who have leak problems, may I suggest putting the airbed on a credit card that gives you an extended warranty? Last month (May 15, 2016) Citibank overhauled their card benefits; they now offer a flat 24-month extended warranty on all purchases on the card.

I am back in the market for airbed solutions. The 2013 one (part #2000010290) is discontinued. Coleman has updated models, and I also see several other solutions on this thread. What's the verdict these days?

Condolences for yer loss(es).

Home Depot Diamond mats - closed cell foam, cut to fit the aft hatch area with the rear seats folded down. Doubled up, these provide an ultra-firm but not awful surface, onto which the sleeping bag of your choice can reside. A Thermarest or similar self-inflating sleeping pad can provide extra support for the sensitive.

A good pillow is a must, beyond that, although even a crappy pillow can be serviceable if paired with a massaging/vibrating horseshoe-shaped travel pillow. Great for SC snoozes, the latter has come in very handy for working out neck and shoulder soreness during long trips.

And thanks for the Citicard tip - I keep forgetting which card offers what with regard to extended warranties.

What a fun thread! I'll add my two cents to this. I bought a bunk bed and foam mattress from Ikea for my daughter a couple of years ago. Since the top bunk is rarely slept on, we bought the cheapie foam mattress for it. It's a fairly comfortable twin that fits the dimensions for the Model S well and isn't too thick, less than four inches. You could probably roll it up and compress it too.

MINNESUND Foam mattress - Twin - IKEA

Hello,

Here are some photos of the mattress I purchased ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005U5J1GY/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_QWGAxb1YVT2PZ ).

The good:
- Rolls into a nice tight roll for easy storage.
- Once inflated there is only about an inch or so on each side of the mattress. So it fits quite well.
- Quite comfortable.
- At $50, its at a great price point.
- Reversible pump both inflates and deflates the mattress.

The bad:
- Comes battery powered. I would have liked a pump that plugs into the 12 volt (you can buy one separately). It takes 4 D batteries, I opted for rechargeable batteries from eneloop.

Things to keep in mind with any mattress in the Model S:
- Right behind the rear seats, the angle of the mattress is at 13 degrees, in the middle it is angled at 11 degrees, and at the hatch it is roughly 7 degrees. This is with no weight on it. So you will be sleeping at an incline if you don't put anything down in the trunk (such as a foam pad or something). I don't mind sleeping at an angle, but it's something to keep in mind.
- I move the front seats back so they are as close to the mattress as possible. That gives pillows something to prop against. I have seen others put coolers/bags between the front and rear seats which gave more room for pillows. If you are over 6 feet, its going to be tight.

Thanks Erik

rear.jpg

pump.jpg

rolled out.jpg

deflated.jpg

inflated.jpg

After a camping trip to Hershey park this weekend I decided it's time for an air mattress, figured may as well get one that will fit the Tesla.

Are any of you folks sleeping both you and possible a bed hogging wife/husband on the mattress in your model S? For example DAerik does yours fit two people on it?

After a camping trip to Hershey park this weekend I decided it's time for an air mattress, figured may as well get one that will fit the Tesla.

Are any of you folks sleeping both you and possible a bed hogging wife/husband on the mattress in your model S? For example DAerik does yours fit two people on it?

The largest air mattress that I found could fit in the back of a Model S is a twin, which is the one that I have pictured above. A twin is going to be tight for two people. However it could be done. I have seen some people that purchased a full (maybe a queen) foam mattress and then put it in the back of the car and carved the sides to fit around wheel wells and then put a thin piece of foam/blankets on top. That allowed for more room side-to-side. That might be an option to look into. However the only downside is that it doesn't fold up and store away as nicely.

Thanks Erik