Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Method of Home Charging for SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to get an SR+ Model 3 and was curious about which charger would be the best. Deciding between the Wall Connector and Nema 14-50. I heard rumors that the wall connector was not better than the 14-50 for the SR+ due to the onboard charger limit of 32 amps. It seems like the wall connector is much more convenient, in terms of not having to unplug the mobile charger everytime. I figured this would be the best place to ask. I appreciate all responses. Thanks

You can (and should) leave the mobile connector plugged in to avoid wear-and-tear on the outlet; unplug it only when you need to tote it with you.

The Wall Connector is rated for placement outside, which may be a factor if you're not in a garage.

Getting a WC (or even a 2nd Mobile Connector) lets you leave the MC in the car at all times "just in case". On the other hand, there's additional cost involved.

Leaf and SR+ at home. A few years ago we installed two Clipper Creek L2 NEMA 14-50 charging stations at home, one 30A and the other 32A.

I just leave a J-1772 -> Tesla adapter on one of them. Works great and can’t charge either vehicles any faster on L2 anyway.

About to get an SR+ Model 3 and was curious about which charger would be the best. Deciding between the Wall Connector and Nema 14-50. I heard rumors that the wall connector was not better than the 14-50 for the SR+ due to the onboard charger limit of 32 amps. It seems like the wall connector is much more convenient, in terms of not having to unplug the mobile charger everytime. I figured this would be the best place to ask. I appreciate all responses. Thanks

Like everyone else has mentioned, just use the included mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 wall plug. Two different Tesla employees at a store and delivery center said don't spend the extra money on the wall connector as it's not needed for the SR+.

Any chance you could explain this? What difference does the HPWC provide in those situations?
Sure....
NEMA 14-50-
1. Outlets in the rain are never a good idea, especially high current 240v outlets.
2. Mobile Connector is not rated for use in “wet” locations, it is rated for minimal water resistance but is not recommended.
3. Risk of theft if used outdoors.
HPWC
1. Rated for outdoor all weather use.
2. Less likely to be stolen
3. 24’ Cable for the ability to park any direction to charge.

For me the convenience of the HPWC is appreciated and can be understated. Over the years I’ve used all 3 of the options available, third party evse(mine was a clipper creek HCS-30 w/ adapter), mobile connector and theHPWC.

Keep in mind the difference of $500 on a $40,000.00 car is minimal. Plus in many states you can get a rebate for installing permanent charging equipment reducing the difference to about $250.

None. The mobile connector is perfectly fine outdoors and in the weather.

Not according to tesla. The mobile connector is a “4x enclosure” -
[Type 4X Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (windblown dust); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow, splashing water, and hose directed water); that provides an additional level of protection against corrosion; and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure.]

I recommend reading the warnings Tesla themselves have written regarding this issue on page 2 of document/ page 4 of link.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Not according to tesla. The mobile connector is a “4x enclosure” -
[Type 4X Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (windblown dust); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow, splashing water, and hose directed water); that provides an additional level of protection against corrosion; and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure.]

I recommend reading the warnings Tesla themselves have written regarding this issue on page 2 of document/ page 4 of link.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

Sounds like it’s perfectly fine outside to me.

Millions of miles of anecdotal evidence suggests the same.

Tesla’s safety warnings you link to above say nothing about not using the UMC in the elements beyond very basic precautions around standing water or “severe” weather.

By all means, do as you please, but there’s zero reason to be scared away from using the UMC outside.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I believe I have now ruined my second Model 3 UMC by leaving it out in the rain charging overnight at 120V.

I’m using an extension cord (which Tesla recommends against) but had no problems doing this with the Model S UMC charging in the rain. I’m leaving it perched on a rock to be sure it is well drained, and I only do this while visiting a home that has only exterior 120V outlets.

The first time in the rain with the UMC 2.0, the UMC went bad permanently, indicated by the error light flashing five times when first powered, Tesla replaced it and I assumed it was a defective unit, now the replacement unit has ended up the same after leaving it charging overnight in steady rain for the first time.

It looks to me like the UMC 2.0 does not protect itself from moisture and actually fails permanently when exposed. Buyer beware!

Is the model 3 mobile connector water proof?

i didn't see this mentioned in the thread but in support of everyone that says stick with the UMC, let me tell you why:
the UMC is rated to 40A. the Wall Charger is rated to 60A. the SR+ is only rated to 32A.

The SR/SR+ CANNOT use any more power than 32A. This means purchasing and installing anything other than a standard 14-50 NEMA 240V outlet and using your UMC would be a waste of money.

The SR/SR+ CANNOT use any more power than 32A. This means purchasing and installing anything other than a standard 14-50 NEMA 240V outlet and using your UMC would be a waste of money.

I mostly agree; however:
  • Buying a Wall Connector and setting it up on an over-40A circuit will help to future-proof the installation -- @Beck28 will be able to charge at faster rates if/when the SR+ is replaced by a more-capable car, or if/when a second and more-capable car is added.
  • A Wall Connector on an over-40A circuit will be able to charge visiting friends' or relatives' cars at a higher rate (if they're more capable, of course).
  • @Beck28 hasn't said where this installation is. As @TydalForce notes, the Wall Connector is rated for outside installations, whereas the Mobile Connector isn't. This makes the Wall Connector a better choice if the car is to be charged outside.
  • There is value to having two EVSEs, both so that the Mobile Connector can be carried with the car at all times and so that one can serve as a backup to the other.
For the most part, these issues are minor, with the possible exception of outdoor installations, but they do deserve mention and consideration. These issues' applicability to specific people varies. There's also the question of whether a NEMA 14-50 outlet is currently available. If so, and if charging will happen in a garage, then using the existing NEMA 14-50 outlet with the Mobile Connector that comes with the car is more likely to be the way to go. If it will be necessary to install the NEMA 14-50 outlet, though, then the added expense of a Wall Connector instead of a NEMA 14-50 outlet may not seem so bad.

I mostly agree; however:
  • Buying a Wall Connector and setting it up on an over-40A circuit will help to future-proof the installation -- @Beck28 will be able to charge at faster rates if/when the SR+ is replaced by a more-capable car, or if/when a second and more-capable car is added.
  • A Wall Connector on an over-40A circuit will be able to charge visiting friends' or relatives' cars at a higher rate (if they're more capable, of course).
  • @Beck28 hasn't said where this installation is. As @TydalForce notes, the Wall Connector is rated for outside installations, whereas the Mobile Connector isn't. This makes the Wall Connector a better choice if the car is to be charged outside.
  • There is value to having two EVSEs, both so that the Mobile Connector can be carried with the car at all times and so that one can serve as a backup to the other.
For the most part, these issues are minor, with the possible exception of outdoor installations, but they do deserve mention and consideration. These issues' applicability to specific people varies. There's also the question of whether a NEMA 14-50 outlet is currently available. If so, and if charging will happen in a garage, then using the existing NEMA 14-50 outlet with the Mobile Connector that comes with the car is more likely to be the way to go. If it will be necessary to install the NEMA 14-50 outlet, though, then the added expense of a Wall Connector instead of a NEMA 14-50 outlet may not seem so bad.
i accept your alternate explanation.