Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Method of Home Charging for SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct: the mobile connector is weatherproof.
The connection to watch out for is the 14-50 socket. That is the only part that needs to be sheltered from rain.

Note: We use a mobile connector in a carport and the whole thing is sheltered from rain.

The Mobile Connector owner's manual says otherwise:

Tesla Mobile Connector owner's manual said:
Warning: Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.

The Wall Connector owner's manual, by contrast, specifies that it carries a NEMA 3R weather rating, which protects it against all normal weather conditions.

That said, there are multiple reports from people who do use the Mobile Connector outdoors without problems. OTOH, there are also reports from people who have had problems with the Mobile Connector when it's used outdoors for extended periods. Personally, I wouldn't use it outdoors in bad weather for an extended period.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The Mobile Connector owner's manual says otherwise:

The Wall Connector owner's manual, by contrast, specifies that it carries a NEMA 3R weather rating, which protects it against all normal weather conditions.

That said, there are multiple reports from people who do use the Mobile Connector outdoors without problems. OTOH, there are also reports from people who have had problems with the Mobile Connector when it's used outdoors for extended periods. Personally, I wouldn't use it outdoors in bad weather for an extended period.

When I've used it outside (with an extension cord) I always ensured the plug and the converter were raised off the ground by a few inches so they were never immersed in water and that the rain would run off them. And in Georgia, you can get some very serious rain.

I certainly wouldn't use it in "severe rain or snow" with an extension cord or anything obviously dumb like that that others have had problems with.

But hanging off the side of a garage or something, plugged into an outdoor enclosure that protects the plug itself (think an RV box or similar)? There's zero reason for hesitation.

I certainly wouldn't use it in "severe rain or snow" with an extension cord or anything obviously dumb like that that others have had problems with.

But hanging off the side of a garage or something, plugged into an outdoor enclosure that protects the plug itself (think an RV box or similar)? There's zero reason for hesitation.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

I'm good with that. Many of us have used UMCs exclusively in outdoor situations for years. Mine has been going for three years now, feeding my car over 30 megawatt-hours of energy. It and I are still alive to tell the tale. I'm far from alone.
Are you using the original UMC?

UMC Version 2 is more susceptible to rain due to the 12” adapter that must be plugged directly into the UMC brain. In version 1 the adapter could still be safely protected in the “rv” box you mention.