Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best method to protect against the inevitable door dings and other careless people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine took this pic by her office.. someone's a bit paranoid IMO.

10453468_10152303419652713_3811251633862515787_n.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: maingirl22
I actually had a conversation about this with a car friend of mine when waiting for the car to be delivered--do I treat it as a $100k car or do I treat it as a "regular" car? I historically treat every car as a $100k car but I could certainly drive myself insane trying to keep this thing 100% nice. I think you do have to give yourself some leeway and having your PDR guy on speed dial is the thing to do. It also helps I crashed the car 6 days after getting it (needing 3 doors, quarter panel and 2 months later) so I am less concerned about door dings. :)

I do ok in the parking lots--always seem to end up with some pick up truck next to me when I come out. I park medium-far away.. not far enough to seem like I'm parking far on purpose (to attract the idiot that park next to you on purpose) but far enough that there's 5-6 spots between me and the furthest car. Looks more like I parked there when there were more cars there that left. I kinda like parking by the cart corral on my passenger side so I can snug up to it (if I have no passengers of course) and people seem to be thinking about aiming their cart to get it into the corral so haven't had a problem so far. Seems the faster places, Starbucks, etc where you run in and out quickly are more problematic for me.

Actually, the most problematic area is my garage! We have a standard size (meaning small) 1960's 2-car garage. The Tesla is wider then my 1999 S500 and between me not being able to pull the thing in properly each time and our 5 year old son wanting to do his own door, it's scary. We have pool noodles lining the side walls to prevent dinging there, but need something inbetween the cars. Can I hang a pool noodle from the ceiling or something to have something soft between the cars?

Thanks!

-m

Edit: Found some hanging door bumpers for between cars in a garage... Will have to try one!

Last edited:
A friend of mine took this pic by her office.. someone's a bit paranoid IMO.

View attachment 51816

Haha that pic is awesome. Those cones are his too it looks like. LOL. those parking spaces are even double lined, not single lines. Tons of space. Totally unnecessary. Honestly it's just bringing more attention to the car really. If I were a dumb kid I'd be tempted to do something stupid to it just for looking so dumb. lol

I have always parked carefully and have had only a couple of small dings in 20 months, BUT the new thing is something that it doesn't matter how you park -- VANDALS who key the car. I just got mt car repaired from a Q-panel keying for $1,600, and someone keyed about 4 inched of the rear bumper, and it is doubtful that it was an accident. And it was in the covered garage at a high-end center (Stanford). I am beginning to think a MS is a bit of a magnet not that it's more popular. Any other stories?