TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Best method to sell Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Twoodward, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Twoodward

Twoodward New Member

Looking for some advice on best place or method to list my 2013 Model S, I'm in Northern CA, I tried Craigs list SF and Sacramento, but not much interest, also any advice on value welcomed.

Black, excellent condition, 85 KW, 250 Mile Battery, 21 inch premium wheels, 47K miles, Carbon SunTek 45 and 80% Tinted side windows, 3M Paint protection film; front bumper, hood, partial fenders, rear bumper, side mirrors. Panoramic sunroof and rear glass roof, Technology package, internet, Premium sound package, internet radio-play any song or any artist, voice commands, interior lighting package, auto trunk open/close, Tan and black interior, leather seats, Dark wood grain dash, New Tires, Very clean, well maintained. Always washed with “spotless water system”, regular detailing by professional.

2. TSLATed

TSLATed Member

I've used both Autotrader and eBay motors to sell a previous ICE vehicle. It ultimately sold through eBay Motors. No hassles or issues at all. The buyer paid $10.5k in cash and never even saw it in person or test drove it. He also arranged his own shipping across the country and left me positive feedback along the lines of "Love the car".

In terms of views, I got at least 10x more views from eBay Motors compared to Autotrader.

Make sure you include tons of pictures and perhaps a video tour as well. The more pictures / details you provide will make the vehicle more desirable compared to someone else who leaves out that attention to detail. Also, make sure you protect yourself by coming up to speed with fraud detection and avoidance. Ebay Motors has a good article on security related to your vehicle sale here: http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/

3. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

It is generally pretty hard to sell a premium car by yourself (think, how many people are around in your area with 40+k ready to buy a 4-year old used car?). The above poster already mentioned two great sites. You can also post your car in this forum.

Easiest way is to just trade it in to a dealer. Or sell to Vroom. It's an online car dealer. They are quick and easy.

Dealer offers are almost certainly lower than what you want. Basically the more you want for the car, the slower it ll sell, maybe not at all. So just depends on how much you want for the car and how much time you have, and how urgently you need to get rid of it.

4. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

I had very good success listing on this forum under "Tesla for Sale".

5. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

I can run it through auction for you. You would get less than selling yourself but more than a dealer would offer. But it's instant cash with no hassle. Let me know if interested.

• Like x 1
  6. calisnow

calisnow Banned

Your question is entirely useless without telling us how much you asked for the car in your ad.

7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Start by going to Carmax and get a quote from them.

8. dsnows

dsnows Member

My only experience with trying to sell to Carmax resulted in a laughable low ball quote for a low mileage car in great condition. They were listing cars for sale exactly like mine for 12,500(which gave me high hopes), offered me 6,000. I walked out and sold it easily for 9,500 on my own.

9. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I sold my 2012 model S on auto trader in a couple of weeks-there was plenty of interest. I also tried TMC for sale section and had a few responses.

10. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

Count on a lowball offer from Carmax on a Tesla. They don't sell Teslas, so any they buy go straight to auction and the only way Carmax can make $$$$ on that transaction is to purchase the car at below auction value which is really low. Carmax may be a good starting point for a ICE, but not for a Tesla.

11. Blup85

Blup85 Member

I'm in Norcal too, and am trying to find a 60 for my mom, the 85 is just a little out of her price range. I wish she would buy your car, it's in immaculate shape..

12. zer0cool

zer0cool Member

Ya Carmax is really really low ball on premium cars, don't use them. Can just do Vroom do get a good idea of trade-in value. Takes like 15 mins with them on line.

13. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Like others have posted, go to your local Carmax or dealer and get a quote from them. Look to see what's for sale in your local area from a Private Party, and price your vehicle accordingly. I've had success listing 2 vehicles on eBay, just use the Buy-It-Now option and set your lower limit accordingly. Pics and videos are awesome, and also helps to eliminate a lot of questions.

No matter what, you're going to have some really off-the-wall questions and people that really have no interest in buying asking probing questions also. If you're in no rush to sell, ultimately the ball will be in your court.

14. Twoodward

Twoodward New Member

15. Twoodward

Twoodward New Member

16. Twoodward

Twoodward New Member

Thank you. Didn't know there was a "for sale" on this forum. I'll look for that.

17. calisnow

calisnow Banned

I mean this with all respect but you're $10K too high - 39K or low 40's is not bad. Remember it's a 2013 with almost 50,000 miles. It doesn't have Autopilot 2.0 self driving hardware - let alone even Autopilot 1.0. In California you can still get a brand new S60 with zero miles, a host of improvements over your car, and a glass roof for $59.5K after state/fed tax rebates - and it will come equipped with 8 cameras, an 11 TFLOP brain, radar and second generation sonar - just waiting to be activated at any time you feel like paying for it - plus a 75kwhr battery that can be unlocked later.

You're asking only nine thousand less for a car that is essentially two generations behind, four model years older, can't be upgraded, has almost 50,000 miles on it and is about to run out of its bumper-to-bumper warranty. That's the market reality right now unfortunately.

18. Blup85

Blup85 Member

Please don't trade in to carmax or drive down to Sac! Keep it in Chico and before you get that desperate, reach out to me :)

19. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Sorry dumb Q. If you sell via ebay, how do you make sure that the money is transacted successfully?
    Ideally, what I'd like to see - once I send the car over, and receive the money, there should be no scope to "change their mind" or "damaged in transit" etc.
    Also, who pays for shipping - buyer or seller or negotiable?

20. josher32

josher32 Member

I sold my 2015 Model S here on TMC. Got $5K more than I could get from Tesla. I think safer audience to try to sell to as well as most here are Tesla enthusiasts.

• Like x 1