Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best method to sell Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some advice on best place or method to list my 2013 Model S, I'm in Northern CA, I tried Craigs list SF and Sacramento, but not much interest, also any advice on value welcomed.

Black, excellent condition, 85 KW, 250 Mile Battery, 21 inch premium wheels, 47K miles, Carbon SunTek 45 and 80% Tinted side windows, 3M Paint protection film; front bumper, hood, partial fenders, rear bumper, side mirrors. Panoramic sunroof and rear glass roof, Technology package, internet, Premium sound package, internet radio-play any song or any artist, voice commands, interior lighting package, auto trunk open/close, Tan and black interior, leather seats, Dark wood grain dash, New Tires, Very clean, well maintained. Always washed with “spotless water system”, regular detailing by professional.

I've used both Autotrader and eBay motors to sell a previous ICE vehicle. It ultimately sold through eBay Motors. No hassles or issues at all. The buyer paid $10.5k in cash and never even saw it in person or test drove it. He also arranged his own shipping across the country and left me positive feedback along the lines of "Love the car".

In terms of views, I got at least 10x more views from eBay Motors compared to Autotrader.

Make sure you include tons of pictures and perhaps a video tour as well. The more pictures / details you provide will make the vehicle more desirable compared to someone else who leaves out that attention to detail. Also, make sure you protect yourself by coming up to speed with fraud detection and avoidance. Ebay Motors has a good article on security related to your vehicle sale here: http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/

It is generally pretty hard to sell a premium car by yourself (think, how many people are around in your area with 40+k ready to buy a 4-year old used car?). The above poster already mentioned two great sites. You can also post your car in this forum.

Easiest way is to just trade it in to a dealer. Or sell to Vroom. It's an online car dealer. They are quick and easy.

Dealer offers are almost certainly lower than what you want. Basically the more you want for the car, the slower it ll sell, maybe not at all. So just depends on how much you want for the car and how much time you have, and how urgently you need to get rid of it.

Looking for some advice on best place or method to list my 2013 Model S, I'm in Northern CA, I tried Craigs list SF and Sacramento, but not much interest, also any advice on value welcomed.

Black, excellent condition, 85 KW, 250 Mile Battery, 21 inch premium wheels, 47K miles, Carbon SunTek 45 and 80% Tinted side windows, 3M Paint protection film; front bumper, hood, partial fenders, rear bumper, side mirrors. Panoramic sunroof and rear glass roof, Technology package, internet, Premium sound package, internet radio-play any song or any artist, voice commands, interior lighting package, auto trunk open/close, Tan and black interior, leather seats, Dark wood grain dash, New Tires, Very clean, well maintained. Always washed with “spotless water system”, regular detailing by professional.

Your question is entirely useless without telling us how much you asked for the car in your ad.

My only experience with trying to sell to Carmax resulted in a laughable low ball quote for a low mileage car in great condition. They were listing cars for sale exactly like mine for 12,500(which gave me high hopes), offered me 6,000. I walked out and sold it easily for 9,500 on my own.

Like others have posted, go to your local Carmax or dealer and get a quote from them. Look to see what's for sale in your local area from a Private Party, and price your vehicle accordingly. I've had success listing 2 vehicles on eBay, just use the Buy-It-Now option and set your lower limit accordingly. Pics and videos are awesome, and also helps to eliminate a lot of questions.

No matter what, you're going to have some really off-the-wall questions and people that really have no interest in buying asking probing questions also. If you're in no rush to sell, ultimately the ball will be in your court.

I'm in Norcal too, and am trying to find a 60 for my mom, the 85 is just a little out of her price range. I wish she would buy your car, it's in immaculate shape..[/QUOTE

Its really nice. we really take care of our cars. Its got a few small paint issues from small rocks, the kind you don't see until you wash or wax it. The 21 inch wheel don't have a single flaw on them, which is indicative of how we take care of the car and always park it away from curbs and other cars. it you want me to email you some pictures, let me know. When it was on Craigs list I was asking 50K.

I mean this with all respect but you're $10K too high - 39K or low 40's is not bad. Remember it's a 2013 with almost 50,000 miles. It doesn't have Autopilot 2.0 self driving hardware - let alone even Autopilot 1.0. In California you can still get a brand new S60 with zero miles, a host of improvements over your car, and a glass roof for $59.5K after state/fed tax rebates - and it will come equipped with 8 cameras, an 11 TFLOP brain, radar and second generation sonar - just waiting to be activated at any time you feel like paying for it - plus a 75kwhr battery that can be unlocked later.

You're asking only nine thousand less for a car that is essentially two generations behind, four model years older, can't be upgraded, has almost 50,000 miles on it and is about to run out of its bumper-to-bumper warranty. That's the market reality right now unfortunately.

Sorry dumb Q. If you sell via ebay, how do you make sure that the money is transacted successfully?
Ideally, what I'd like to see - once I send the car over, and receive the money, there should be no scope to "change their mind" or "damaged in transit" etc.
Also, who pays for shipping - buyer or seller or negotiable?