Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best methods to trigger parking detection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a small garage with a load bearing post near the center of it that pops up as an obstacle for the parking proximity detectors. We would like to be able to park very close to this on our Midel Y’s right side, to leave more room for the driver to exit. Has anyone had luck with paint or reflectors on an obstacle to make the distance calculation more accurate for the parking sensors? Wondering if I can do something to get the sensor on that side to provide a more accurate distance from the obstacle.

Reactions: TryingHard32
We have a small garage with a load bearing post near the center of it that pops up as an obstacle for the parking proximity detectors. We would like to be able to park very close to this on our Midel Y’s right side, to leave more room for the driver to exit. Has anyone had luck with paint or reflectors on an obstacle to make the distance calculation more accurate for the parking sensors? Wondering if I can do something to get the sensor on that side to provide a more accurate distance from the obstacle.
Have you read the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual section on Park Assist?

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Upvote 0
Thanks. The rough location of the sensors shown in the diagram on that page is definitely helpful. I assume from the text that these are the ultrasound detectors (the mention of "if installed" is what makes me wonder)? We're not really relying on the sensors -- I've learned, for example, that I can creep up another few inches toward a lawn mower that's stored in front of the car even though the Tesla is saying STOP. We're parking safely now, as we can definitely see the obstruction--probably the only real fix is to get a bigger garage. :confused: The "post" is actually a makeshift fixed ladder made out of 2x4s, so maybe as we pull in, the ultrasound waves are getting "echoey" from the gaps between the rungs. I'll see if I can put something right at the level of the sensors to improve the consistency of the echo.

Upvote 0
I too have a garage sample, do not have my car yet, but the overnight test drive I had was interesting, when I started pulling into my garage sample many sensors started screaming and telling me how far away from things I was.

I can't wait ti get my Y and do more tight parking tests!

7D58B487-EA7A-412A-97BC-A1B0A9925439.jpeg
6CC51CD0-4C8B-4272-A67C-496850F6E855.jpeg
06F95E01-3D9A-487C-88FD-EE666A9AA87C.jpeg

Reactions: chris2222
Upvote 0
If only all these cameras could give us 360 view…. I also have a tight garage fit and I hold my breath every time I park because the sensors say stop with like 6-8 inches space and I need to get closer than that…

Unfortunately there is no way to get more accurate that I’m aware of. And saying stop with 8” clearance isn’t very accurate IMO.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Upvote 0
If only all these cameras could give us 360 view…. I also have a tight garage fit and I hold my breath every time I park because the sensors say stop with like 6-8 inches space and I need to get closer than that…

Unfortunately there is no way to get more accurate that I’m aware of. And saying stop with 8” clearance isn’t very accurate IMO.
When I am parking in a tight situation, like for parallel parking where I don't want to scrap my wheel against the curb,
I adjust the side mirrors so I can see the bottom of the wheels when maneuvering.
I even saved the settings by creating a new user that I called "Parallel Parking", that I can select when doing parallel parking.

So, may be you could use your mirrors to help you when parking into your garage
by orienting your rearview mirrors toward the location you want to look at?

Another tip could be to suspend some tennis balls that you could easily see and that could help you to align your car correctly.
Or you could install on your wall a mirror, allowing you to have a better view of the outside of your car.

Otherwise, maybe put some foam around the post to prevent scratching your car!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So for those interested in the outcome of the extra panel, it seems the sensors are more concerned about the things directly in front of the vehicle (probably makes sense). The right side showed red all the way into the garage, but the reported distance to the obstacle seemed to be related to the bike and equipment in front of the vehicle, not the ladder. We did also add a dangling tennis ball today, and that is a helpful alignment aid. This latest test we parked comfortably within 4” of the ladder and the car never said STOP, so I’m going to call the changes an improvement.

Reactions: Zalick and Watts_Up
Upvote 0
So for those interested in the outcome of the extra panel, it seems the sensors are more concerned about the things directly in front of the vehicle (probably makes sense). The right side showed red all the way into the garage, but the reported distance to the obstacle seemed to be related to the bike and equipment in front of the vehicle, not the ladder. We did also add a dangling tennis ball today, and that is a helpful alignment aid. This latest test we parked comfortably within 4” of the ladder and the car never said STOP, so I’m going to call the changes an improvement.
I've been using the hanging tennis ball method all my life. I like to park with only a few inches behind the rear, so as to maximize space in front of the car, where we have shelving. It's low tech but works perfectly.

Upvote 0