Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Model 3 aftermarket wing mirrors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a semi-scary incident today, where someone was in my blind spot for a good few seconds when merging on to the motorway in the UK. I'm usually slow at changing lane, so it all ended well (I reacted just before the car's AI sounded an alarm), but it got me thinking about convex/aspheric/wide angle wing mirrors.

Does anyone have any information as to which wide angle wing mirror replacement is best for the Model 3?

From my search online, I have found three candidates:

Suma: Tesla Model 3
Hautopart: Wide angle side mirror glass for model 3/S/X/Y | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow
SmartTesla: SMTSLWS Wide-Angle Reduce Blind Area Side Mirror Glass With Heater for Model S Model 3 Model X Model Y 1 pair

After a lot of research, I have heard once or twice that the clear (not just blue tinted) glass ALSO reduces glare at night compared to the stock mirrors. Is this true? I'd rather go for the clear to allow for truer colours and better vision at night (some have complained that the blue tinted ones reduce night vision slightly).

I am also curious which offers the largest view out of the Suma, Hautopart and SmartTesla wing mirrors. Suma claim that "Our mirrors are R1000, whereas other mirrors are R1400. (The smaller the R-number, the wider the view).". Since I live in the UK, I'm guessing my 2019 Model 3P already has slightly convex mirrors as stock (Europe has different standards than the US for this kind of thing), so am I right in saying the R1400 is equivalent to the European size, or does it have a wider viewing angle? Are Hautopart's and SmartTesla's mirrors R1400?

Hautopart's mirrors ($80) are half the price of Suma's ($160) and SmartTesla's are even cheaper ($60), so if I can save money for not much loss of functionality, it would be good to know.

Last edited:
model 3 doesnt really have a blindspot with properly set up mirrors.
That's what I thought originally too. Like you probably do, I set them up so that I can barely see the side of the car in the mirror view. Unfortunately, when merging on the motorway, there's a fair distance (due to the merging lines gap) between your car and the car in the first lane on the motorway. As it's further away, it's more likely to be in the blind angle zone (far enough away and you could fit an entire building in the blind angle zone). The car just happened to be in the worst possible position, angle wise, AND a fair distance horizontally from me too. Therefore, it was blind to me for a few seconds without twisting my neck (which takes my focus of the road and I think is also relatively dangerous).

That little camera button in the main display throws up the side camera as well as the rear camera if using mk1 eyeball isn't sufficient...

Way back when I was learning to drive, it was an insta-fail on the test to not turn head and look before merging/changing lanes.

Now, off the soap-box, I think the aftermarket mirrors are all grossly overpriced.

That's what I thought originally too. Like you probably do, I set them up so that I can barely see the side of the car in the mirror view. Unfortunately, when merging on the motorway, there's a fair distance (due to the merging lines gap) between your car and the car in the first lane on the motorway. As it's further away, it's more likely to be in the blind angle zone (far enough away and you could fit an entire building in the blind angle zone). The car just happened to be in the worst possible position, angle wise, AND a fair distance horizontally from me too. Therefore, it was blind to me for a few seconds without twisting my neck (which takes my focus of the road and I think is also relatively dangerous).
I had the same issue. I purchased the Suma mirrors. Here is a comparison of the stock vs suma. We were in the middle of a spring cleaning day so pardon the stuff laying around.
20200603_162103.jpg

20200603_162604.jpg

Way back when I was learning to drive, it was an insta-fail on the test to not turn head and look before merging/changing lanes.
It was for me too. But it's fixing something broken that should never have been broken in the first place. Plus they don't set up the mirrors properly, and turning your head is definitely more important if your mirrors are only set up where a big chunk is showing the side of your vehicle.

On top of this, in the US, they don't even have the normal decent convex mirrors as standard - only the crappy (and they really are terrible) planar ones. Finally, "turning your head" could mean anything from 45 degrees to 135 degrees off center. I often turn 90 degrees even with my mirrors set up properly FWIW.

Now off my soapbox, I think the aftermarket wide angle mirrors are a complete bargain if it makes driving your vehicle safer and allows you to keep your eyes forward on the road ;)

I had the same issue. I purchased the Suma mirrors. Here is a comparison of the stock vs suma. We were in the middle of a spring cleaning day so pardon the stuff laying around.
Nice! I'd love to see UK Model 3 stock vs US Model 3 stock though. And also Suma versus UK Model 3 stock and Hautopart/SmartTesla versus UK Model 3 stock mirrors. I've heard some people go very slightly cross-eyed with the wide angle of the Suma mirrors. I'm sure you get used to that though.

I see you've gone for the clear SUMA mirrors. Do they offer less glare at night compared to the Model 3 stock ones? (you from the US?)

Nice! I'd love to see UK Model 3 stock vs US Model 3 stock though. And also Suma versus UK Model 3 stock and Hautopart/SmartTesla versus UK Model 3 stock mirrors. I've heard some people go very slightly cross-eyed with the wide angle of the Suma mirrors. I'm sure you get used to that though.

I see you've gone for the clear SUMA mirrors. Do they offer less glare at night compared to the Model 3 stock ones? (you from the US?) Since everything seems smaller in the suma because
Original mirrors were to dark at night combined with my tinted windows. Going clear solved another issue I had. Yes in U.S. I dont have an issue with glare, the tint helps, but since everything seems smaller in the suma mirrors, maybe any glare seems smaller too. I don't have glare that bother me. Thats the best way I can explain it, hope that helps.

Reactions: dspwhite

i cant remember i read that the mirror is actually different in different regions in the world. I actually seem to recall that in europe it is flatter (i.e. less viewing space). That said we drive EU spec models in Australia and I dont have a blindspot.

i cant remember i read that the mirror is actually different in different regions in the world. I actually seem to recall that in europe it is flatter (i.e. less viewing space). That said we drive EU spec models in Australia and I dont have a blindspot.
Probably no blind spot for the lane next to you, but for the lane next to that (or at least the lane next to that), I'm guessing you do.

I had the same issue. I purchased the Suma mirrors. Here is a comparison of the stock vs suma. We were in the middle of a spring cleaning day so pardon the stuff laying around. View attachment 680288
View attachment 680289
I also have had the Suma mirrors for a while and like them. I have the bluish tinted ones (back then that was the only option) and the color isn't that noticeable. The bluish tint is supposed to help with glare. This might be important if you drive at night because these aftermarket mirrors don't dim at night like the factory ones.

I just checked and i do not have a blindspot. I am quite tall however so sit quite far back and when i turn my head left before i change lane i can see out of the rear passenger window with ease.
Oops, I didn't clarify properly. I meant to say, the blind spot exists if you only look at the wing mirror. Turning your head to look over your shoulder will be a different kettle of fish of course.

I'm trying to avoid all blind spots via the wing mirrors only, since I don't want to rely on twisting my neck too much.