Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Model 3 camping mattress?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm going to be camping for 4 days in my Model 3 and I'm wondering if anyone who's tested some M3 mattresses can give me a recommendation. I see there are products like Tesmat, Tescamp, Dreamcase and a host of air mattresses.

I'm 5'8 and a side sleeper. My understanding is that the original tesmat was very uncomfortable for this configuration, but there's a newer model. Plus is the case fits in the frunk. Dreamcase is bulky and expensive, but not sure how comfort compares to others.

My perfect combo is something that fits in frunk or subtrunk, is comfortable, and reasonably priced. Price being the least important factor.

Thoughts?

But doesn't that take up half the trunk? And my understanding is that they didn't make the Tesmat 4 inches because there wouldn't be enough room. Is that not the case?
Hi, I checked the size when folded in three-fold, the mattress has a rectangular shape of about 18" by 10" high, and 37" width.

The full trunk is about 39" by 18" high, so there is about 21" between the mattress edge and the rear bumper wall.
There is also a volume similar to the size of the mattress available above the matteress.
Since the mattress is soft, if you put objects on top of it, the mattress will be compressed providing a little bit more storage.

When travelling, I often keep the back seat folded with the mattress unfolded, to keep it simple.
And I put most of my stuff on the floor behind the front seats, except may be a cooler, so the trunk is mostly empty.

I’ve been using the TESMAT over the past three months while I’ve been car camping throughout the NE USA this Summer. The TESMAT has been good but it is a bit thin. I am 5’7’’ and also a side sleeper. I have an M3, so a much thicker mattress will begin to present some problems. The TESMAT entirely fits in the sub trunk but not the frunk. You will definitely want to get the privacy screen.

I'm going to Coachella this year and planning to sleep in my M3. I will have limited space for a mattress since I'll need to bring my clothes, toiletries, battery packs, etc. I've seen there's tesmat, tescamp, as well as other beds that fit, like the Millard tri-fold.

What is the best option for space saving and comfort? Some have said the tesmat and tescamp are extremely thin and uncomfortable. Others seem not bothered by it. Would love opinions from those who've successfully used any of these products or potentially have other recommendations.

I'm going to Coachella this year and planning to sleep in my M3. I will have limited space for a mattress since I'll need to bring my clothes, toiletries, battery packs, etc. I've seen there's tesmat, tescamp, as well as other beds that fit, like the Millard tri-fold.

What is the best option for space saving and comfort? Some have said the tesmat and tescamp are extremely thin and uncomfortable. Others seem not bothered by it. Would love opinions from those who've successfully used any of these products or potentially have other recommendations.
Bumping.

Reactions: KenFTL
I just ordered a Qomtop mattress for $65 at Woot, yesterday:
Qomtop Self-Inflating Camping Mattress
Oops, it's already sold out. I didn't want a full-size mat, because I'll be packing lots of ski equipment, so this looked decent.

Looks like you can still get one at the mfr's website for $100, minus a 15% coupon, SPR15ING: QOMOTOP® | The Top Choice for Outdoor Sports Life
but that would likely deflate and would the back stay up between the seats with no support?

but that would likely deflate and would the back stay up between the seats with no support?
I got it today, and it's not an air mattress. It's more like a thermarest-type of foam mattress. The difference is while a Thermarest is generally thin, like an inch, the Qomotop is 4" thick. You unroll it, and open the one-way valve, and it self-inflates. To store, you squeeze the air out of the foam. It's exactly what I was hoping for.