Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

best model 3 license plate bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since owning my model 3 from last November, I was looking for a strong and easy to install/remove license plate bracket. I finally found it and its made by Ottosteer. I normally don't like having the front plates installed on my cars but one of the reasons I bought this was to be able to park on San Francisco streets without worrying about getting tickets for no plates. The other reason is to have it on when passing thru different states while on a road trip. It works really well for me because the bracket uses really strong magnets and you could easily put it on or remove in a few seconds. They are based out of San Jose, so if you are local, you could have them install it for no charge. I just returned home from LA to Pleasanton, and the bracket is very strong and quiet. There is also a retaining screw which you can screw in that will secure the bracket from being stolen.

IMG_2510.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg

Here's a link to video: Dropbox - Ottosteer license plate bracket - Simplify your life

OttoStick Tesla Model 3 Magnetic Front License Plate Holder

Thanks for the post. This looks like a great solution for those who want to install and remove quickly. I'm using just bolts with butterfly nuts for temporary installs. But this is cleaner and it also doesn't interrupt the airflow into the vent.

check out Tony's "The Bandit" it's not magnetic but provides enough space to clean all sections of the front bumper without having to remove the holder or license plate and it's very easy to install. Both designs are great because it does not obstruct the vents to cool the battery.

My Bandit bit the dust a while back. One of the threaded inserts of the brackets came out when removing one of the bolts (wasn't done by me.. and I was compensated for it). Tried to rescue it, but decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix. Maybe it can't handle multiple installs and removals ?

how did it get damaged? did you hit a wall or object?

The damage was not caused by any impact. The threaded sleeves the hex bolts go into get loose in the plastic after repeated use. After a few times, I was no longer able to tighten the bolts, they just spun around. I bought it brand new in a sealed box from Craigslist for $50 and was compensated for it by person who removed it and tried to reinstall it. Decided I would not get another one as I lost confidence in the product. I probably just ended up with a defective one. If repeated removal for displays at shows or cars and coffee are anticipated, I would probably look at something else. Just my opinion.

B63DE2C2-7D3B-44DC-98F6-F936FDBB37CD.jpeg
Since owning my model 3 from last November, I was looking for a strong and easy to install/remove license plate bracket. I finally found it and its made by Ottosteer. I normally don't like having the front plates installed on my cars but one of the reasons I bought this was to be able to park on San Francisco streets without worrying about getting tickets for no plates. The other reason is to have it on when passing thru different states while on a road trip. It works really well for me because the bracket uses really strong magnets and you could easily put it on or remove in a few seconds. They are based out of San Jose, so if you are local, you could have them install it for no charge. I just returned home from LA to Pleasanton, and the bracket is very strong and quiet. There is also a retaining screw which you can screw in that will secure the bracket from being stolen.

View attachment 400174 View attachment 400175

Here's a link to video: Dropbox - Ottosteer license plate bracket - Simplify your life

OttoStick Tesla Model 3 Magnetic Front License Plate Holder
I purchased the OttoStick Magnetic Holder and love it. I can remove the front plate when I’m washing my car or when at a show & shine.

I have been using the bandit since day one of delivery in September. No issues with it. Have removed and installed a couple times. It is easy to clean behind the plate...but I also don’t like the look of it sticking out. I Just bought the OttoStick magnetic holder over the weekend and was shipped out yesterday. Will post a comparison review when I get it. But I think the OttoStick will be the best of both worlds.....cleaner look and even easier to pull off when you want to.

My question for those running the OttoStick. I know the developer recommends running the security screw...but do you guys use the screw? Are the magnets strong enough to hold if you hit a pothole or big bump?

I have been using the bandit since day one of delivery in September. No issues with it. Have removed and installed a couple times. It is easy to clean behind the plate...but I also don’t like the look of it sticking out. I Just bought the OttoStick magnetic holder over the weekend and was shipped out yesterday. Will post a comparison review when I get it. But I think the OttoStick will be the best of both worlds.....cleaner look and even easier to pull off when you want to.

My question for those running the OttoStick. I know the developer recommends running the security screw...but do you guys use the screw? Are the magnets strong enough to hold if you hit a pothole or big bump?

I'm only using one of the security screws and I keep the allen wrench in the car. I don't see any need for using both security screws at once. The magnets are super strong and I don't suspect it would ever just fall off on it's own, however I feel more comfortable knowing that it's locked on. Even with the one screw, it's still super easy to remove.

I'm only using one of the security screws and I keep the allen wrench in the car. I don't see any need for using both security screws at once. The magnets are super strong and I don't suspect it would ever just fall off on it's own, however I feel more comfortable knowing that it's locked on. Even with the one screw, it's still super easy to remove.

Yes, the magnets are pretty strong and I dont see it would be able to come off if hitting a pothole or bump. Unless it was a big and deep pothole, in that case you may pop your tire or bend your wheel. Hmm, that would probably work fine with just installing one security screw as well.

check out Tony's "The Bandit" it's not magnetic but provides enough space to clean all sections of the front bumper without having to remove the holder or license plate and it's very easy to install. Both designs are great because it does not obstruct the vents to cool the battery.

This is the one I have, had it for aprox 8 months now, havent had any issues with it,

My Bandit bit the dust a while back. One of the threaded inserts of the brackets came out when removing one of the bolts (wasn't done by me.. and I was compensated for it). Tried to rescue it, but decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix. Maybe it can't handle multiple installs and removals ?
Ruh Roh. I’ve been running illegally here in MA. My Bandit is in the frunk. My son in law is a police sergeant here in the town in which I live. He said don’t worry about it. Most of the time they don’t even notice. That said I’m bummed about the longevity on yours. Why were you removing and installing? Just curious j. I’m going to continue to be illegal until they give me a ticket.

Why were you removing and installing? Just curious j.

Hi h. It was actually the ppf installer that removed the Bandit for the Xpel installation when the damage happened. He had difficulty removing one of the bolts because the threaded insert became stripped in the black plastic and it eventually just came out. He handed me the bolt and told me what happened. He did financially compensate me for it. I tried to get the threaded sleeve back into the plastic, but it wouldn't stay seated, just spins. As I removed and re-installed a couple more times, the same thing happened to another bolt on the other side. After that, I quit and decided to get a different brand....I think yours will be fine. Be aware though, there are some posts on this forum that mention expensive grill damage if something does hit the front of the Bandit.

I live in a neighborhood known for the Police Department (Police HQ is about 4 miles from here) giving out fix it tickets, so I wasn't going to tempt fate.......

Hi h. It was actually the ppf installer that removed the Bandit for the Xpel installation when the damage happened. He had difficulty removing one of the bolts because the threaded insert became stripped in the black plastic and it eventually just came out. He handed me the bolt and told me what happened. He did financially compensate me for it. I tried to get the threaded sleeve back into the plastic, but it wouldn't stay seated, just spins. As I removed and re-installed a couple more times, the same thing happened to another bolt on the other side. After that, I quit and decided to get a different brand....I think yours will be fine. Be aware though, there are some posts on this forum that mention expensive grill damage if something does hit the front of the Bandit.

I live in a neighborhood known for the Police Department (Police HQ is about 4 miles from here) giving out fix it tickets, so I wasn't going to tempt fate.......
Oh j. Thanks for the info. Maybe forward your story to the folks at Bandit? I just can’t stick the supplied bracket for the front front plate onto the bumper and worry about ruining the paint if I have to remove it.

I have the Bandit and have had it installed for over 7 months. So far so good! I do worry about the air fins that the Bandit attaches onto over the life of the car. Because it's not very aerodynamic (no wind through holes), driving fast, I always think about the stress it's putting onto the air fins of the car.