Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

best model 3 license plate bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another member just posted about the same issue with the Bandit as I had:

i1Tesla reviewed "The Bandit" license plate holder

That was me. I ran into that issue with the Bandit when trying to remove it....to install the OttoStick. I think what’s causing it is the bolt is seizing in the threaded insert....as the one bolt I got out binds when trying to screw it back in. The other issue is that the marine board is pretty soft...it doesn’t take much force to strip within the marine board/bracket.

The OttoStick could potentially suffer the same failure....I made sure to use some anti-seize to prevent that though. I think a square threaded insert instead of 6 sided(bandit) or round knurled(OttoStick) would be the best design to help combat that...other than anti seize. I have spoken to the developer of OttoSteer and has assured me his knurled brass insert is heated/pressed in and has not had issues in his testing. Either way I suggest a bit of anti seize when installing.

I think what’s causing it is the bolt is seizing in the threaded insert....as the one bolt I got out binds when trying to screw it back in. The other issue is that the marine board is pretty soft...it doesn’t take much force to strip within the marine board/bracket.

I completely agree with your assessment of the problems. I totally destroyed that marine board plastic trying to get one of the bolts out. I was lucky and was able to remove the Bandit without sawing. I did drop one of those threaded inserts behind the grill and it did take a while to remove it.

I ended up getting the Slipstream license plate bracket from Thatgrin.com, although the price has gone up a lot since I purchased. The brackets attach to the vertical sections of the grill and is very easy to remove and install. I'm happy with it so far.

I completely agree with your assessment of the problems. I totally destroyed that marine board plastic trying to get one of the bolts out. I was lucky and was able to remove the Bandit without sawing. I did drop one of those threaded inserts behind the grill and it did take a while to remove it.

I ended up getting the Slipstream license plate bracket from Thatgrin.com, although the price has gone up a lot since I purchased. The brackets attach to the vertical sections of the grill and is very easy to remove and install. I'm happy with it so far.
Thanks j. I went to the website and it looks super easy to install. I’ve got a new in box Bandit I have to sell now.

One of the magnets fell out of my OttoStick holder.

wow that’s the first I heard of that happening. Did it happen when you were removing it? Or did the plate actually fall off? Using the security screws? Contact Ottosteer about it? Sorry for all the questions. I really like my magnetic OttoStick and that was one of my concerns I asked the owner about.

wow that’s the first I heard of that happening. Did it happen when you were removing it? Or did the plate actually fall off? Using the security screws? Contact Ottosteer about it? Sorry for all the questions. I really like my magnetic OttoStick and that was one of my concerns I asked the owner about.
noticed the bracket was askew the other day. Pulled it off and noticed that one of the magnets came out. I stuck it back in, but a few days later it happened again. I glued it in, but then realized (way too late), that i put it backwards! so now I'm using the security screws.