Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Model Y Full Rear Interior Heaviest-Duty Liner? (rear interior "trunk" or just interior rear liner)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All:

My SO throws her bike into the back of my car, and generally trashes it. I'm looking for a heavy-duty liner that protects the seats ***and the walls*** of the interior cargo area of my soon-to-arrive Tesla Y. I'm hoping for something WITHOUT logos, heavy duty, easy to get into sub-trunk and side cubbies, and if possible, NOT made in China (human rights reasons). Imagine you were using the back like a contractor uses the back of a pickup. (After all, it's supposed to be an SUV, and U is for utility, right?)

- I have found a ZYCHUANGYING thing, it's chinese made, looks like a strange quilted fabric, not the tough rubber I was hoping for, and has really obnoxious, huge logos. [UPDATE: There is a variant I found on Amazon so you can buy without logos.]

-There is a TAPTES thing, probably also chinese made. It sort-of goes up the sides, but just a little bit.

* Anyone have experience with this? how do I get into the sub-trunk?

*Anyone know of a better one, that ***protects seat backs and sides*** as well as floor of rear cargo area?

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

-TPC

Last edited:
how do I get into the sub-trunk?
There is a simple piece of plywood or MDF covered with black carpeting that you lift out. There is a second one you can lift out that covers another much shallower space between the sub-trunk and the rear seats.
*Anyone know of a better one, that ***protects seat backs and sides*** as well as floor of rear cargo area?
I'm interested in seeing the answers. I'd also like to see links to the products you've already found.

Tesmanian has mats that cover the floor in the trunk area and the backs of the rear seats so the entire floor is covered when the back seats are folded down. This does not cover the sides which I realize is a requirement for you.

The Tesla Pet Liner comes with covers for the inside of the two rear doors. You can get a pair of door covers for much less but I don't know which ones fit.

Thank you BitJam for that reply.

You replied about getting into the sub-trunk, etc.; sorry I wasn't clear: I wanted folks with covers to talk about how their covers affect getting into those areas.

You asked for links to the two covers I found:

Please note I have not ordered these, tested them, approve of them, nor sanction or promote them in ANY way. In fact, like most Tesla accessories, they are made in China, and so there is virtually no way of knowing how much their purchase contributes to slave labor directly, or to the vast oppression or human rights abuses by the Chinese governing dictatorship, e.g. against Uyghurs in Xinjiang, not to mention blocking paths to western information on the internet (Great Firewall). (Note that ethnically Chinese people and their culture I think are wonderful; it's their govt I have issues with.)

OK, PSA over: The almost-all-the-way-up-the-sides cover is here: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01JE6M...LRjfx%2BnkVOg%3D%3D&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

The other one which might look a bit nicer in the photos (unless you see the real thing, it hardly counts) is here: TAPTES® Tesla Model Y Trunk Mat, Cargo Mat for 5 Seater Model Y 2020 2021 2022 2023

Finally, I note that all covers I found either velcro onto the carpet in the car and/or use cheapo velcro sticky squares to affix to car. That means that anyone with a carpet knife and a little skill can make something just as good with a few scraps of carpet and a package of velcro stickies from the hardware store. (Reviews I have seen seem to say the covers above work "OK-pretty much" but who knows really - There is a review here of the Tesla branded trunk mat that says it slides too much, so there you go.)

Hope this is helpful.

-TPC

Reactions: BitJam
I've got the first one - the "Worth-Mats" from "ZYCHUANGYING" on Amazon. I wrote up some notes about them HERE.

You are correct that it's not heavy-duty rubber. If you have something sharp and heavy, it could tear the fabric. I did get a small tear once when trying to slide in a very large and heavy piece of furniture with a rough unfinished edge. But I haven't had any problems with anything else, including bicycles.

Mine came with a logo even though I didn't order it; but supposedly you can get one without. As you note, it is made in China. So it doesn't meet all of your criteria; but at the time I was shopping it was the best thing I could find.

I also had noted that the floor mat slid around...because it didn't come with velcro. But, duh, they included a bunch of extra velcro pieces, so I put some some on towards the front of the car (over the front shallow subtrunk that's always been hard to access and not much use anyway). It sticks there, but the rearward portion of the mat can still move freely when you raise the rear part of the floor to access the subtrunk. I am pleased. (At least with this Y version. As I noted in the other thread, I don't like the one I got for my wife's X).

The Taptes version looks awfully similar to me, just with better photos, lower walls and a slightly higher price.

Last edited:
I've got the first one - the "Worth-Mats" from "ZYCHUANGYING" on Amazon. I wrote up some notes about them HERE.

You are correct that it's not heavy-duty rubber. If you have something sharp and heavy, it could tear the fabric. I did get a small tear once when trying to slide in a very large and heavy piece of furniture with a rough unfinished edge. But I haven't had any problems with anything else, including bicycles.

Mine came with a logo even though I didn't order it; but supposedly you can get one without. As you note, it is made in China. So it doesn't meet all of your criteria; but at the time I was shopping it was the best thing I could find.

I also had noted that the floor mat slid around...because it didn't come with velcro. But, duh, they included a bunch of extra velcro pieces, so I put some some on towards the front of the car (over the front shallow subtrunk that's always been hard to access and not much use anyway). It sticks there, but the rearward portion of the mat can still move freely when you raise the rear part of the floor to access the subtrunk. I am pleased. (At least with this Y version. As I noted in the other thread, I don't like the one I got for my wife's X).

The Taptes version looks awfully similar to me, just with better photos, lower walls and a slightly higher price.
Dear ChadS: Those notes are ***absolutely brilliant***! Thank you so much. I recommend anyone interested to look at those notes in the post linked above, there are excellent photos and descriptions.

The only alarming thing is that you wrote that it was hard to get into what I would call the "rear sub-trunk". Can I ask you to clarify: The trunk bottom is a separate piece, and so it shouldn't be any harder to get to that rear sub-trunk than it is without the cover, right...? Or am I missing something?

Again thanks,

-TPC

Model Y LR Pearl White Delivery Window imminent.

It can indeed be hard to describe all the different parts in the car. I'll try again:

If you are at the back of the car and open the hatch, just inside (at the very rear of the car) you can easily lift the Tesla-supplied cover, and the Worth-Mats will fold up with it. That gives you access to the "subtrunk" or "trunk well". That's a large, easy-to-access storage space that I use all the time. Every Model Y has this storage space. In the other thread I included a picture of that cover being lifted so you can see the "trunk well".

Between the "trunk well" and the second-row seats depends on your car. If you have a 7-seater, there's a third row of seats there (and Worth-Mats doesn't have a product for you). But if you have a 5-seater, instead of the 3rd row of seats there is another Tesla-supplied cover that you can lift to access ANOTHER storage space. While it's fairly wide and long, it's only 3" or 4" deep...plus I have to lean in quite a ways to access that area (taller people may not have this problem). So even before the Worth-Mats, I did not use that inner, shallow storage space. Which is good, because with the Worth-Mats installed on the sides of the cargo area, it is very difficult to lift the cover and access it.

Perhaps a picture will help:

Full coverage.jpg

And here's the picture with the "trunk well" cover lifted:

Trunk well.jpg

Last edited:
I am waiting for my MYLR and am looking into trunk liners. I have an Ioniq 5 and I have the entire trunk lined with adhesive backed felt liners that I got from Ebay( From Korea I think). The flet liners are amazing and and keep the trunk clean and prevent the plastic from scratches. you can't scratch plastic as there now, there is no exposed plastic. Plus it think they also helped me in making by cabin even more quiet. I tried looking for same for MY but could not find anything similar.

It can indeed be hard to describe all the different parts in the car. I'll try again:

If you are at the back of the car and open the hatch, just inside (at the very rear of the car) you can easily lift the Tesla-supplied cover, and the Worth-Mats will fold up with it. That gives you access to the "subtrunk" or "trunk well". That's a large, easy-to-access storage space that I use all the time. Every Model Y has this storage space. In the other thread I included a picture of that cover being lifted so you can see the "trunk well".

Between the "trunk well" and the second-row seats depends on your car. If you have a 7-seater, there's a third row of seats there (and Worth-Mats doesn't have a product for you). But if you have a 5-seater, instead of the 3rd row of seats there is another Tesla-supplied cover that you can lift to access ANOTHER storage space. While it's fairly wide and long, it's only 3" or 4" deep...plus I have to lean in quite a ways to access that area (taller people may not have this problem). So even before the Worth-Mats, I did not use that inner, shallow storage space. Which is good, because with the Worth-Mats installed on the sides of the cargo area, it is very difficult to lift the cover and access it.

Perhaps a picture will help:

View attachment 888445

And here's the picture with the "trunk well" cover lifted:

View attachment 888452
I want to thank ChadS again for those great pics.

I went ahead and bought the thing. It was the right thing for me to do, I needed to protect the sides. I didn't really "install" it, I just laid it on top of the trunk rug. It comes with dozens of adhesive bits of velcro, I didn't bother with those. It has started creeping backward, and needed to be reset so it didn't block the trunk latch, just so everyone knows. Probably if I bothered to do the velcro, that would improve. Another point, not shown in ChadS's pictures, is that there is a strip that fits right on that ledge where the latch is, the very bottom of his pic. The strip protects that as well, an obvious scuff point. (Maybe its because my Y is still relatively new, but dang... that black plastic sure shows scuffs!)

Let us all know if that felt becomes available anyway. Enjoy,

-TPC

Reactions: Amolpurav
Same, i bought a different one off Amazon only to find out the 2023 model changed how far down the plastic goes on the back interior sides and still has a lot of exposed carpet. Sent it back and ordered this one above… waiting for it to arrive from China

Hi, I'm new here and just bought a brand-new Model Y. I'm looking for some kind of rear cargo liner that's grippy enough to keep suitcases and boxes and such from sliding around back there.

Would you guys recommend either the All-Weather Liners or the Textile Mat from the Tesla store? Or some good third-party product?

I like the look of the Taptas/worth Matts but what I really want is to protect the whole under trunk. I scuba dive and need all the room I can get. I want to remove both trunk floors and protect all the space and sides. Injection mold would be ideal but also soft pieces like these might be good enough.