TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best non Tesla commercial charging stations

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Theshadows, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

What brand non Tesla charging stations does everyone like the best? We install solar and I want to begin talking to local restaurants, shopping centers, and hotels about installing charging stations. I wanted to know from those that use them which ones everyone feel are the best. Both free and paid.

Thanks in advance!

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Clipper Creek and Eaton make high power (60-80 amp) J1772 stations that are solid options. I highly recommend doing something more than the typical 30 amp units. J1772 is the universal standard at the moment.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Agree, Clipper Creek and Eaton. insist on 70 amp + to attract the Tesla owners and future EV's. Investing in the Higher power EVSE's will protect them from being obsolete later. An HPWC from Tesla is inexpensive also.

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Good deal at Clipper Creek: Charging Station / TS70 (90) discounted $800 to $1,395 for a 70-Amp, UL-Listed, J1772 EVSE. My guess is that they changed the cables and are trying to sell the last of their Roadster charger inventory.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Great Deal, Solid Unit. No point of Sale solution that is workable IMO.

If you plan on putting a unit out for free at your business, this is the one to get.

6. Cottonwood

The price is low enough, that, as an experiment, a friend of mine and I are going to try and put one in Pagosa Springs, CO and one in Salida, CO with locked, cash, donation boxes. Local electric rates are about $0.10 per kWh, so we are thinking of a recommended donation of $2.50/hr for 40 Amp charging and $4/hr for 70 Amp charging, a little more than double electric cost. What do you think of those recommended donation rates? We are not trying to make money, just trying break even long term and help the EV community. This will all be honor system, but in rural communities like these, I am willing to take the risk.

Look at Silverthorne, CO to Cortez, CO - Google Maps and you will see how these two 70 Amp J1772 charge spots will link the Supercharger in Silverthorne, CO to SW Colorado.
    • Silverthorne to Salida - 93 mi
    • Salida to Pagosa Springs - 140 mi
    • Pagosa Springs to Cortez - 104 mi
    Both Salida and Pagosa offer good restaurants and coffee shops. Salida has a great riverfront complete with kayak course to try or watch, and Pagosa has three different commercial hot springs, all in walking distance.

We have a donor site in Pagosa, and are looking for one in Salida. At these prices, I have already ordered a couple of them. I really like the UL listing for public use locations.

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Thanks for sharing!!!! I was looking at getting a CS-90, but this is far cheaper.

8. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I'd make it simple, and also build in a solid margin because not everyone can/will donate. Obviously anyone driving an EV has the money to "donate" for charging, but there will be a few cases of people just not having cash on them that day. Happens to me all the time, I live in a plastic world to help me track my spending so I sometimes forget to carry cash. I'd make it $5/hr for 40A and $10/hr for 70A and be done with it. That allows most people to drop in a single bill, or two, with little to no 'rithmetic... much easier for them, even. After all, it's only a recommendation. People can still leave more, or less, but you're more likely to come out OK.

Don't worry about making too much money. First, it's not likely to happen. Second, if it does you can use the surplus to buy another charging station and expand the network and/or you can donate part/all of the surplus to charity and post that on your charging stations. Heck, I'd post a "we'll donate any surplus funds to X cause" sign on the charger right from the beginning. It'll also help convince some people to donate who might not otherwise have done so.

9. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

#9 neroden, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    If you specifically say you'll donate any profits to the cause of buidling more charging stations, you'll definitely attract more donations from people charging their electric cars.

---
    The Sun Country Highway CS-100 seems to be the gold standard of AC chargers at the moment. Nothing wrong with Eaton or Clipper Creek either.

The discount TS-70 are a very good deal, except that I think they have the wrong charging plug (I believe they have the Roadster plug). Check with Clipper Creek. If they have the wrong plug, you'd have to buy J1772 plugs and rewire them. :p

Insist on high amperage. It's easy enough to get NEMA 14-50 hookups (40 amp) at home, and as a result chargers on the road should *always* have more amperage than that. 48 amps continuous should be the minimum you should even consider. How big you go after that is largely going to be determined by breaker box capacity and supply line capacity, unless you are putting in a new electrical feed anyway. Go as big as you can manage with the existing electrical feed; the extra cost of the larger charger is worth it, the extra cost of a bigger electrical feed may not be worth it.

10. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Could provide an email address for PayPal donations.

I believe that's a rebranded Clipper Creek CS-100.

The link says it has a J1772 connector.

11. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Bravo! Spot on.

12. Cottonwood

Great suggestion! I will do it.

I verified this with Clipper Creek; the TS-90 (was the TS-70, 90A breaker, 70A charging) is made from some of the original Roadster Wall Charger parts that they have left in stock, but ships with a 70A J1772 connector. The leftover parts are the reason for the limited quantity and the low price.

I met with my friend in Pagosa today. We should have a 70A J1772 charger up and running in a month or two near downtown Pagosa Springs, CO. It will be within a few blocks walk to local shopping, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and a choice of three hot springs. We are trying to make this a nice stop for EVs in SW Colorado.

Have several leads on sites in Salida, CO, but still working on the right spot that has capacity in their breaker panel for a 90A breaker to feed the EVSE.

13. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Bravo, Cottonwood! Let us know when the Salida charger is in service; we have friends in Salida and I'll make a point of getting down there and utilizing it. Salida is only 160 miles, door-to-door, so perfectly do-able with the 85 even though there's a lot of hill climbing involved.

Rodolfo, the PayPal idea is brilliant; so much easier for the digerati than greenbacks.

14. GlennAlanBerry

#14 GlennAlanBerry, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  15. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

#15 Theshadows, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Hey that's not a bad idea, put a QR code on the charger for paypal donations and just forget the cash.

I'm thinking about putting a CS-100 at my house since there are no charging stations in my area and I'm 2 miles off the interchange of two major interstate highways. I'll primarily charge with the 14-50 in my garage and I'll have a nice 80a station that everyone can use for the rare occasion that I would need a quick charge. Closest future supercharger on the map is 100 miles from me.

I am going to start pitching to local restaurants, hotels, and malls to install these things. I want to see this type of charging built out everywhere so everyone can have a place to charge even if they don't have a Tesla. A Leaf or a Volt are still way better than an ICE.