Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best option for condo's...who has figured out how to install charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the growth and changes, combined with HOAs and myriad building infrastructure, I'm looking for advice on solutions. A dedicated charging area near the meters/junction boxes? Running lines to each parking spot? Novel finance schemes to get a build out or add to it while growth is happening?

I think we are upon a big growth bump with Model 3, my In Laws have 8 model S owners in their 3 building complex all looking for solutions. Advice appreciated!!

Mike
Richmond BC: Effective April 1, 2018, 100% of residential spaces must have Level 2

Canadian electric-car news: apartment charging, electric trucks, Electra Meccanica Solo

Reactions: KJD
I'm on an HOA board now for my rental, and you're expecting too much cooperation from both the residents and the board members!

If you have a 1 L2, and lots of L1, someone will abuse the L2, guaranteed. And then it's more work for the board to deal with it and put rules in place. And from what I've seen, boards are lazy.

Add to that the additional shared expense, "I don't want to pay for someone else charging!" will be a common theme.

OP - you need to bring a well formulated plan to the board. It has to include infrastructure costs, charging costs, etc. As well as a plan for how you're going to pay. Then you'll have a fighting chance. Include all anticipated costs, and show that it'll cost the condo nothing.
If you just go to the board with "I want to charge my car, find me a solution" you'll likely get nothing (I know you're not planning on taking this route, as you're here asking questions)

One possible solution for multi-family locations that want or need to provide shared charging equipment, is to install something like a ChargePoint charger, because ChargePoint (and maybe others) can manage the whole process of signing up users, billing them for the power used, maintaining the unit, and paying whatever amount the condo association or landlord wants to them. The rate can be set to cost plus some percentage or fee to compensate the HOA/condo/landlord for the cost of installation and so on. The property owner has to arrange for initial installation, but after that would have little or no administrative cost and no cost for the power supplied to the users (unless they wish to).

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA