Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best option for two cars - Model 3 + XC90 T8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Boourns

Mar 9, 2016
Dallas
We recently moved, and my wife just got a Volvo XC90 T8, so I need to figure out charging in the new house. The house was has a new panel with 200A service, so capacity should not not be an issue. What I am trying to decide between is:

Option 1:
A Tesla wall connector for my car (2021 Model 3 Performance) and low- to mid-speed connector for the Volvo, which charges at 3.7kW. Something like a Juicebox or Clipper Creek unit. The car came with an NEMA6-20 adapter, so even just a 6-20 plug would suffice.

Option 2:
A dual charging station, like this Clipper Creek.

After roughly pricing this out, I don't think there will be much of a price difference between the two options. So it seems like Option 2 is the best because it will be more straightforward, and it also somewhat future proofs the garage for whatever cars are next, though that likely won't be for at least 5 years. But I do want to bounce this off some of you to make sure there wasn't anything I am overlooking.

I have seen a couple of people mention being happy with the grizzl-e wall connector, and they make a dual one:

Not sure how "available" it is, but might be another one to check out. I think I would lean toward option 2 in your case if it were me. I have (2) gen 2 tesla wall connectors in a power sharing setup now, but I have two tesla vehicles. If I had a non tesla vehicle, I think I would get a charger that supports it that was J1772, since every tesla still comes with that adapter. I would just leave the adapter on there at home, and buy myself another J1772 adapter for the tesla for taking with me.

Reactions: Boourns
Upvote 0
Well... apparently there's an option 3:

A Tesla wall connector and this! J1772 Wall Connector 🤯

Yeah I saw that today and remembered this thread, but thats (2) tesla wall connectors which cost more than the 1 grizzl-e charger. The tesla one looks better though, at least to me (if thats a concern). It also gives you 2 devices to install, which could be a negative or a positive thing, as far as vehicle placement goes for both.

Upvote 0
Yeah I saw that today and remembered this thread, but thats (2) tesla wall connectors which cost more than the 1 grizzl-e charger. The tesla one looks better though, at least to me (if thats a concern). It also gives you 2 devices to install, which could be a negative or a positive thing, as far as vehicle placement goes for both.
I think I'd rather pay an electrician for one install now. I can always put in another one down the road.

Any reason to spend $700 more on the Clipper Creek dual charger over the Grizzl-E? They are both 10kW/40A. The only thing I like better about the CC is that it's hardwired, but I don't $700 like it better.

Upvote 0
I think I'd rather pay an electrician for one install now. I can always put in another one down the road.

Any reason to spend $700 more on the Clipper Creek dual charger over the Grizzl-E? They are both 10kW/40A. The only thing I like better about the CC is that it's hardwired, but I don't $700 like it better.

I dont have personal knowledge of the grizzl-e, but remember a couple of people here saying they had one and liked it. I cant remember who now, but it was a regular poster, not a brand new account if that makes a difference.

I certainly would not pay that much for the clipper creek one, for sure. I would rather have 2 tesla chargers than that one clipper creek, but if I didnt have anything at all and had both a tesla and non tesla EV, I would probably purchase the grizzl-e myself if I wanted power sharing.

If I only wanted one charger and didnt care about swapping plugs etc, I would probably just buy one of the new J1772 tesla gen 3 chargers.

Reactions: Boourns
Upvote 0
I have a M3 and a Xc90 T8,

Im using Tesla Mobile connector into a Nema 14-50 plug, with that there are two options for the Volvo:

- buy an adapter that goes Nema 6-20R to 14-50P (ie so i can plug into the 14-50 Receptacle). Costs CAD 85

- buy a Leviton adaptor that converts the tesla connector into a regular J-plug, costs CAD 180

The volvo only charges at 3.5kwh, no diff in speed between the two…

Upvote 0
- buy an adapter that goes Nema 6-20R to 14-50P (ie so i can plug into the 14-50 Receptacle). Costs CAD 85
This seems like a bad idea, because it increases the chance of a mistake. If the EVSE is not adjustable to limit charging to 16A (versus 32A that EVSEs that plug into 14-50R tend to be fixed at), then if someone plugs in an EV capable of higher than 16A into it, it will overload the circuit.

Upvote 0
This seems like a bad idea, because it increases the chance of a mistake. If the EVSE is not adjustable to limit charging to 16A (versus 32A that EVSEs that plug into 14-50R tend to be fixed at), then if someone plugs in an EV capable of higher than 16A into it, it will overload the circuit.
The risk here is very low. Presumably the 14-50 is installed up to code with a 50A breaker. Nothing with a 6-20 plug could do anything bad to the 50A circuit. The EVSE that has a 6-20 plug would obviously signal any vehicle that they can only draw 16A.

Upvote 0
That would be a valid caution, except I think you pictured the situation reversed from what it is, so this shouldn't be a problem. You are warning about a 14-50 type EVSE being adapted to plug into a 6-20 outlet in the wall, which could overdraw, but I think it's not that. Here's the quoted part:
It sounds like this means that the receptacle in the wall is a 14-50. The EVSE he is wanting to use from the Volvo XC90 only has a 6-20 plug on it, and is only capable of pulling 16A maximum. So that wouldn't be any problem to draw that from a 50A circuit that supplies the outlet.

My recommendation for @british_bear though would be a little different. It's generally not good doing a lot of plugging and unplugging into these high amp outlets. If you're doing that every day or two, that can wear on the spring tension of the contacts in the outlet, and they can get loose after a few years. When there is mixed Tesla and non-Tesla, I generally recommend just getting a J1772 type of station, and then using the adapter with the Tesla as needed. Tesla does now sell a wall connector with a J1772 handle, but there are plenty of brands that do. Clipper Creek is a really good brand too. With cord lengths of 20 or 24 feet, hopefully that could reach both cars.

Upvote 0
When you get this wall connector installed and up and running, let us know how you like it.
To be installed Monday. It's more compact than I thought.

Attachments

• 20221020_182558.jpg
    20221020_182558.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0