Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Paint Color for Maintaining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want the one that looks most clean and least swirls. White is very swirl disguising but shows dirt and bugs like a white canvas, because that's what it is.

Black shows swirls and waterspots like no other. Very high maintenance. Even rain will spot the car temporarily.

So how about blue or grey? Is there any difference between the two?

Maybe red is the best for all scenarios. I know some places have different color dirt or dust but I'm trying to get a general opinion here.

Really really wish they did silver still... That would be my choice.

Contemplating getting white and wrapping but then that's a different kind of maintenance as well.

Thoughts?

I have two red cars (S and 3) and I keep the cars clean, as well as use Griot's Garage speed shine in between washes with plenty of lint free cloth diapers to wipe them down with. I don't really have the issue of trying to figure out what color hides dirt, etc. (because I don't let it accumulate on the car for very long)...I chose red simply because I love the color...

I have two red cars (S and 3) and I keep the cars clean, as well as use Griot's Garage speed shine in between washes with plenty of lint free cloth diapers to wipe them down with. I don't really have the issue of trying to figure out what color hides dirt, etc. (because I don't let it accumulate on the car for very long)...I chose red simply because I love the color...
Gotcha. I think you got the best color anyway. You'd have to be even more meticulous with the others but I can tell you take good care. Black just requires even more and it's effortlessly able to catch dust even though you just cleaned it. Not a good color. Red is solid. Wish their blue was a lighter shade.

It can always be wrapped...

I was in your same boat with color choices. Black is beautiful when clean, but hard to keep that way on a daily driver for sure. My last car was black and never looked clean except within 1hr of leaving the detailer.

White has similar problems to above, but man the white with the flake looks great clean too.

Red, again amazing, easier to keep that way too, but man with my model 3 performance I don’t need cops giving me an extra stare...

This leaves blue and grey; ah like the Great War of the 1860s. Blue is super cool, and I actually love the way it looks at night. I also love the blue with white interior. The gunmetal grey is a classic, and tbh is the least likely to show the daily drive grime (muddy puddle water blends with the dark grey lol).

I went grey because:

1) I wasn’t getting white interior (firm no from wifey and tbh even with great stain resistance, I hear the argument it will look dirty easily, similar to the white car concept)

2) I had a similar grey on a 2004 corvette and thought it was a beauty

3) Least conspicuous to cops. By far (other than black maybe, which was already out)

4) Grey with black interior looks more sports car, and I’m getting the performance.

Really, while I do wish Tesla had more color options, I think the 5 they have are actually all really nice in their own right. In the end it’s a personal choice... and you can always go wrap if you change your mind later.

The lighter the color the less you'll notice dirt etc. The caveat to this is new versions of "black metallic". My son has a black Cherokee with metallic and though it will never look as deep as straight black, it does oddly remain clean-looking. And, when it comes to keep his car clean, he's a slob.

The lighter the color the less you'll notice dirt etc. The caveat to this is new versions of "black metallic". My son has a black Cherokee with metallic and though it will never look as deep as straight black, it does oddly remain clean-looking. And, when it comes to keep his car clean, he's a slob.
Interesting to know! Although I think lighter colors can show dirt too easily when it's as light as white.

Black metallic sounds nice.

I recommend you choose the color that you like, then buy some rinseless wash and waterless wash products along with some high quality microfiber towels. I can get around my entire P3D in 15 minutes.
I like the color that is the least likely to need washing as often. Yes, the same amount of things will be on the paint day to day but some will reveal it much more than others.

Kinda glossed right over my whole point of this post and told me to pick my favorite color haha come on...

Black looks sick but I'm not dealing with that. And it gets hot easier.

Kinda glossed right over my whole point of this post and told me to pick my favorite color haha come on.
I didn’t mean to come across as glossing over your whole point. I was trying to suggest that, other than black, which is definitely the most difficult to keep looking clean and swirl-free, IMO there is not a huge difference among the other colors. If you wash and clean the car at least once a week with the right products and techniques, then, IMO, any color other than black will look good. So you might as well pick the color you like.

Reactions: AC2DC
I didn’t mean to come across as glossing over your whole point. I was trying to suggest that, other than black, which is definitely the most difficult to keep looking clean and swirl-free, IMO there is not a huge difference among the other colors. If you wash and clean the car at least once a week with the right products and techniques, then, IMO, any color other than black will look good. So you might as well pick the color you like.
Thanks! I'm developing the impression in this order from hardest to keep looking clean/swirl free.

1. Black.
2. Blue. (Shows swirls easier than white but not like black)
3. White. (Shows dirt and bugs easier than the rest)
4. Grey. (Actually a lighter overall shade than blue.
5. Red. (Maybe the easiest overall on average)
Don’t get the hate for white.
I’ve always found white and light silver cars hide dirt easiest.

Current Tesla is the dark grey. It looks amazing till it rains
I feel like red would hide dirt better. Bugs and what not show up really easy on the front end. Looks like pepper sprinkled over egg whites

First, I wish Tesla offered a proper silver like BMW....but since they don't...

I went white and I am very happy so far. I was torn between Blue and White, then when I went for a test drive I took a stroll through the lot. We had just had three straight days of rain. Every car in the lot looked filthy except for the white ones.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
First, I wish Tesla offered a proper silver like BMW....but since they don't...

I went white and I am very happy so far. I was torn between Blue and White, then when I went for a test drive I took a stroll through the lot. We had just had three straight days of rain. Every car in the lot looked filthy except for the white ones.
I think the MSM might be better for some conditions and white another. I imagine rain being better on white. Dirt, bugs on the front end, MSM would hide better.

I'm getting MSM which is very close to the Graphite Luster Metallic of my current car. It does a good job of hiding most day to day road grime and bugs. I thought it might be harder to keep clean looking when I got it but have been very pleasantly surprised. And since it almost never rains here I don't have to worry about it looking bad after a rain. White would be my second choice but during the warmer months the front ends up looking like a bug graveyard.

White for maintenance me - much easier to keep clean. I put PPF on the front and rockers, ceramic all over and then yes, I take it through an automated wash regularly with an unlimited pass (*Gasp*!!!) - swirls aren't really noticeable to me on white, so I just keep it clean all the time and don't fret over it. Maintenance is super easy and I'm not it my driveway pampering it with a diaper for hours and hours every week. Have another car for that.