TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Best Phone App for Finding Chargers

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by whiskeyrunner, Apr 15, 2015.

1. whiskeyrunner

whiskeyrunner Member

As a new Tesla owner, I'm having a hard time figuring out which phone app I should use to find available chargers while on the road. The three I have downloaded are PlugShare, ChargePoint, and EV ChargeHub. I'm not seeing a huge difference in the apps for the DC Metro area. However, I would welcome other people's experience and opinion around these apps and which ones you find to be the most accurate and helpful. Should I keep all three or default to a primary app for this area?

If there are differences, maybe you can also advices on the accessories you need to have on hand to actually use these charge points. I typically commute around the DC area, but not much more than than...Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

PlugShare app works great on a mobile phone. The PlugShare website also works great in your car, as it takes into account your car's location. As far as commuting around the DC area, there are more than enough supercharger locations, Tesla service Center locations, and 40 amp charging locations in Tysons Mall to take care of any needs you may have. And don't forget there are a lot of Model S owners in the DC area who have listed their charging stations on PlugShare as well. I can't imagine a circumstance where you would hook into a J1772 charger in the DC area, but if that is needed, your car has a J1772 adapter, and you can get a ChargePoint card for free (at least it used to be) that will allow you to use both the free and the not-free-anymore ChargePoint stations. Good luck!

3. whiskeyrunner

whiskeyrunner Member

4. Per O

Per O Member

There is also another app www.greenlots.com that show some ChaDeMo chargers not listed on other apps

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

"RV Parky" isn't better than PlugShare, but it shows RV parks where you might be able to charge in a pinch and might not be listed on PlugShare, etc.

Also, Recargo is another one.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Plugshare and Recargo have combined databases with Plugshare to be the default.